Hardware 3DS Bricking/Disabling Flashcarts Rundown

HalMotley

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I am considering a 3DS but I really want to know how this supposed bricking system works and firmware updating which can lead to either the device or the cart not working. I also mainly want to know how to avoid this as I would love to able to run all my homebrew (and other things) without fear of the 3DS acting strangely.

I already own an iEvolution and I am considering both an Acekard 2i and a Supercard DSTwo.

So can anyone given me a rundown?

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Flashcarts don't affect your 3DS. Simple as that. The one rule you'll need to follow is that you ALWAYS update your flashcart BEFORE you update your 3DS.

Both the Acekard 2i and the DSTWO are excellent choices.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Nobody's 3DS has been bricked by using a flash cart.

You may be thinking of the flash cart no longer working on the 3DS after an update. That is not bricking, the flash cart is unaffected, it just no longer works on that 3DS.
http://gbatemp.net/topic/315784-flash-carts-and-dsi3ds-updates/

HalMotley

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for your replies,

I would say that I did have a look at the other thread (the one suggested by Just Another Gamer) and it has almost 600 different replies and I feel it's too large to sift through (most of the stuff was from a year ago).

So wait wait Rydian you are saying if the 3DS blocks the flashcart it permanently blacklists it and that cart can never be used on the 3DS ever again?! D:

Regardless of further updates to both the cart and the 3DS itself?

Still I think I will be safer with 2 carts, what about the iEvo? That presumably still works with the 3DS under Nintendo's current firmware and iEvo 2.3 (I know that the iEvo isn't a good cart but I don't want my £40 to go to waste!).

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
If the cart itself is updated further, then it can work on the 3DS, but you cannot update it from that 3DS since you cannot run it to update it, so you will need to update it on another DS system, preferaly an original DS or a Lite since they don't block modern flash carts, they don't have firmware updates at all to do that.

HalMotley

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That's no worries Rydian because I have a working DS Phat lying around which would be perfect for such an occasion. I wonder where I put the charger?

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes GameStop will let you try out a DS Lite. If you're sneaky, you can update your flashcart on their DS Lite!

wait, you don't have to be sneaky. I've done it.

HalMotley

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Damn you CycloDS, I spent time and money on you! :angry:

Still playing with it until it breaks though! I will most certainly buy both flashcarts and keep hold of my old DS Phat which I am sure will come in handy if and when I screw up. Thanks guys for your help! :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy