3DS backups / DS backups

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by slimhakz, Dec 3, 2019.

1. slimhakz
    OP

slimhakz Member

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2019
    Japan
    Hey guys

I have a gateway 3ds card, is this worth using still?

I prefer roms on a sd card myself... gateway still works on my 3ds still low firmware

Is it just worth to just to install CIA now or not what’s the max number of games? I have Luna already installed....

also do we still need r4 cards
    For DS roms ??

thanks in advance

Last edited by slimhakz, Dec 3, 2019
  2. Flame

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
  3. isoboy

isoboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 23, 2016
    United States
    Compatibility for playing DS on cfw sucks and is a nightmare to browse the games if you have a lot of them. Other people might have completely different experiences than me. I've put the entire US romset on a R4 flash cart and while browsing them all on a DS lite screen takes time, you can add games as favorites so it's not really an issue. Plus, compatibility is almost 100% the way I understand it. Also save states but I'm guessing cfw also has that. I didn't play with it a lot. Someone is going to come in here and correct me but you have my opinion :)

4. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    How on earth does compatability suck? About 98% of ds games play perfectly using twighlight menu on the 3ds

5. isoboy

Dec 23, 2016
    United States
    I didn't know that. Pretty sure when I checked a couple of months ago I saw a lot of issues for a lot of games but maybe that was a different cfw? I'm pretty sure it was twilight cfw for the dsi.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LRTkXOUXraTMjg1eedz_f7b5jiuyMv2x6e_jY_nyHSc/htmlview#gid=0

This is it...it's not the same thing? Maybe this is also old. Please show me your compatibility list you're thinking of. All I can say is I had a pretty lousy experience with it. Just clunky as hell compared to playing DS games on my R4 - compatibility aside. The FAQ questions speaks for itself. Also 448 pages of people trying to fix their shit says something.

I had another look at it and tried the R4 theme but I still prefer the R4 flash cart, so take that as you will OP.

Last edited by isoboy, Dec 4, 2019
  6. AmandaRose

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    How in the heck is it clunky as hell? If you select the r4 theme of twighlight menu it looks and acts exactly the same as a r4 cart. If you pick the ds theme it lools and acts exactly the same as the ds home screen same for the 3ds theme. You can even create forwarders for each ds game and boot them directly from the 3ds home menu. Also I have personally tried over 300 ds games and only one failed to run perfectly even then it was just the introductory video that was a bit wonky and could be skipped. At this point im gonna call in @Robz8 and see if he has anything to say on this unfounded attack on his brilliant app.

Last edited by AmandaRose, Dec 3, 2019
  7. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

pip Developer
    Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    This is the correct list. Some people may not have the time to update it.

Like @AmandaRose said, a vast majority of DS games work with a few exceptions, such as Pokemon Dash, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, and some early Japanese SDK5/TWLSDK games.
    If some don't work, you can turn off heap shrink in TWLMenu++ per-game settings.
    Also, as of some time ago, TWLMenu++ and the forwarders, bundle AP-patches for most of the games with AP, and nds-bootstrap loads the patch and patches the ROM on-the-fly, so that's another issue fixed.
    Even the Nintendo DS Browser started working, as of recently.
    You can even use a RAM disk to run some non-working homebrew.

Last edited by Robz8, Dec 3, 2019
  8. AmandaRose

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    I just feel if you are gonna criticise something at least have the decency to try out the latest version first. Anyway end of rant and lets get the thread back on track.

TurdPooCharger likes this.
  9. isoboy

Dec 23, 2016
    United States
    Does it do save states for DS games?

10. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

pip Developer
    Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    I don't think that's possible.

isoboy likes this.
  11. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh.

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    Well, I'm super grateful for TWiLight Menu++ even if I find DS flashcart generally more convenient to use for my needs.

For those who don't have or can't buy a flashcart, such as myself who gifted his away for a nephew's o2DS Christmas present, it's great that I can still enjoy occasionally revisiting Pokemon Black 2 and Fire Emblem - New Mystery of the Emblem (English patched, mind you) on my 3DS.

It's messed up for anyone to knock down TWiLight if that person is not the homebrew's target audience.

Robz8 and AmandaRose like this.
  12. ghjfdtg

ghjfdtg GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 13, 2014
    Maybe this is just me but the game must just work and that without any slowdowns, glitches or doing anything but copying files to a SD card. I don't want to fiddle with settings until the game works perfectly which pretty much only good flashcarts can do with a proper menu like Wood (i think we can agree lots of the non-Wood clones are garbage before they even leave the factory). Not saying nds-bootstrap is shit or anything but if you care about accuracy flashcarts are still king.

isoboy likes this.
  13. slimhakz
    OP

slimhakz Member

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2019
    Japan
    So r4 card if I can right...?
    Sorry, I meant Luma 3DS - so are you saying just use this and install the CIA using FBI for 3DS games?

Kind of wanted drag and drop... is there a solution for this ( like the sx os menu / gateway ?)

Also want to do this for DS, so use Twilight? Still have 3ds / R4 cards.......

Best drag and drop solution anyone?

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted