3DS Automatic Update Notifications?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Ichigo1000, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Ichigo1000
    OP

Ichigo1000 GBAtemp Fan

May 6, 2015
    United States
    I've heard from some people that they get the notification to update every time they fire up their 3DS. Is this true? Because I've never got the notifications.

I'm just a bit paranoid and went to turn off "Automatic Software Downloads".. But was that off by default, and does that affect the update notifications in any way?

2. Neru

Neru GBAtemp Fan

Feb 11, 2015
    United States
    Yea. I just tried going to Eshop and is true.

3. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    It won't stop them from downloading. (the notifications are auto too but harmless)

People have said an update won't download unless it's in sleep mode. Even then, you have to agree to a couple of prompts before the update begins installation.

4. Patxinco

Patxinco Riding a Shooting Star

Apr 18, 2011
    Melon__Bread likes this.
  5. Ichigo1000
    OP

Ichigo1000 GBAtemp Fan

May 6, 2015
    United States
    Do you know why didn't i experience the automatic notification when i was in 9.7? I'm 9.8 now since Sky3DS supports it. Since I ordered one, I'm a bit paranoid with updates.

6. Typhin

Typhin GBAtemp Fan

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    "Automatic Software Downloads" won't affect the system updates. If your system is in Sleep Mode, and has access to the internet, it will check for a new version. If there is a new version, it will download it. If it downloads it, it will start asking you to update about once per day. ("Access to the internet" includes certain free hotspots, anything set up for SpotPass. This includes most McDonalds and other places, even without any sort of settings saved.)

If you do get the update nag in sysNand, you can remove it by using Restore Mode. With the system off, hold down L+R+A+Up (D-pad) and power on the system. It'll enter a menu that asks you to connect and update, but then you just exit the menu/turn off the system. Entering the menu removes the downloaded update (since the idea is that there was a problem with it, and you need to get a new copy), which causes the nagging to stop. You can't enter the menu in emuNand, though, so if you get the nag in emuNand, you just have to be careful. Keep a backup, and if you accidentally update to something unsupported, restore the backup.

7. Ichigo1000
    OP

Ichigo1000 GBAtemp Fan

May 6, 2015
    United States
    I do not have Gateway, but ordered a Sky3DS. So is there any way to backup? (Doesn't really matter to me though)

8. Typhin

Typhin GBAtemp Fan

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    You can back up your system NAND using the Gateway Launcher even without a Gateway card. It's good to have a backup just in case something happens. For example, maybe some time in the future, an exploit will be released for your current version. Having a backup will allow you to return to that version (though doing so will most likely require a hardware modification) even if you've updated since then.

For an emuNand, I think there are custom firmwares that support emuNand, but I haven't looked into them much, so I can't say much about them. If they're the same as Gateway's, then the emuNand Tool or something similar should be able to back that up and restore backups.