Hacking 3DS 5.0 Question - Code Execution

Seratonin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What does this mean?

Multiple NATIVE_FIRM code execution vulnerabilities were fixed, this includes all known NATIVE_FIRM code execution vulns at the time of writing as well.

Does this mean no more homebrew?

Syphurith

Beginner
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
What does this mean?
Multiple NATIVE_FIRM code execution vulnerabilities were fixed, this includes all known NATIVE_FIRM code execution vulns at the time of writing as well.
Does this mean no more homebrew?
NATIVE_FIRM means the firmware of 3ds itself.
Nintendo find some vulnerabilities, in the segment which exec the code, in 3ds firmware and fixed them.
Those vulnerabilities are known may be door to write code at runtime.
Homebrew is being difficult to develop, but since it is only code so there is always some ways to cheat or bypass them.
However the information about such things is too few.

Above is my understanding.
Yes, 'trumpet-205'. that's quite a breif answer!

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
This might still be in play:
http://www.logic-sunrise.com/en/news-609157-would-geohot-attack-the-3ds.html

But it was a shaky rumor to begin with and, of course, it could have been fixed -- the Netfront files were updated in v5 as well.

Shaky isn't the word I'd use to describe it ('unfounded' springs to mind). I haven't seen a single shred of evidence from any source that 'bob_' is Geohot. If he were, then surely they'd have had IRC logs indicating so to accompany the ones they already have.

Reactions: Rydian

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
this includes all known NATIVE_FIRM code execution vulns at the time of writing as well.
Interpretation lesson: In the sentece "all known NATIVE_FIRM code execution vulns" the code execution vulns are known by who?

There are two possibilities: Nintendo or hackers... It was already pretty obvious that Nintendo knew about them otherwise they couldn't have fixed them, so either the person who wrote this was awfully reduntant or the sentence means "all vulns known by hackers were fixed" which probably includes the one Neimod and yellows found

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Yellows8 wrote yesterday that he has some more vulns that he hasn't tested yet.
No, he wrote that he didn't get very far with them, which either indicates a lack of testing, or testing with a lack of success.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
I've just realised something... the Fire Emblem demo is out in Europe tomorrow, which means I have to make the choice of not playing the demo (and hoping the card doesn't ship with the update) or updating the system software. It's the first time I've had this dilemma because I don't use flash cards.

From the sounds of things, though, it seems like Yellows8 has given up on the patched exploits and is moving onto other things.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I've just realised something... the Fire Emblem demo is out in Europe tomorrow, which means I have to make the choice of not playing the demo (and hoping the card doesn't ship with the update) or updating the system software. It's the first time I've had this dilemma because I don't use flash cards.

From the sounds of things, though, it seems like Yellows8 has given up on the patched exploits and is moving onto other things.

i'm giving it a week, if nothing gets released then i am updating, i've heard about the save transfer tool expolit and that got me excited.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haven't updated my 3DS in a while. Not because I'm waiting for an exploit, because I have no games. (Not pulling a 3DS ain't got no games. I literally own no 3DS games.) So I don't see a point in updating now. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: Syphurith

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
[17:06] <Joostin> Is there any point in not updating if you aren't going to release those exploits?
[...]
[17:10] <yellows8> those fixed code exec vulns wouldn't be used in a public release anyway, even if those weren't fixed.
[...]
[17:10] <Joostin> so there is no reason not to update?
[...]
[17:12] <yellows8> not sure if anything was fixed/blocked(like the savehax itself) outside of NATIVE_FIRM though.

skanjos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so they still dont plan on releasing the exploit, would they even release it ever?...
1 more day to fire emblem demo,its seems here in europe we will have to update

Thorhian

My CPU's prefer Water
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get why they drag this so much,i am pretty sure they done documenting the 3ds.
Lol, even IF they were done documenting, Homebrew is a long way off. People need libs to interface with the 3ds in the code people would eventually write. Id love to see someone prove me wrong, but I dont think 2 people could do that in a month or even half a year. But, they aren't done documenting, so be patient. There always seems to be a lack of patience on this forum...

Reactions: pelago

Seratonin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason I'm asking is because I was wondering if his exploit got into the wrong hands and Nintendo found out. Neimod did say his exploit was for injecting code.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country

Hmm, so hold off updating until further confirmation.

I don't get why they drag this so much,i am pretty sure they done documenting the 3ds.

You're probably right. I mean, they've had plenty of time now, haven't they? It's not like these guys have actual lives beyond hacking and documenting the 3DS; a few hundred functions can't take very long to reverse engineer and document. You'd have had it done by now, right?

so they still dont plan on releasing the exploit, would they even release it ever?...

He said they never intended on publicly releasing a hack that utilised those vulnerabilities. They intend to publicly release something when they have something that works well, can be properly distributed and has virtually no chance of minimising the functionality of your console to one sole use: a paperweight.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/8tRQnqT