Hardware 3DS 1.5GB is for memory (system access only)

lostdwarf

OP
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=138586 (near bottom of the page. whole thing is a good read)

As for your final question, Nintendo 3DS, in fact, embodies storage (NAND memory). However, we'd like to use it mainly for the system. Our consumers' needs widely vary depending on who plays with Nintendo 3DS. Some won't need the expanded memory at all. Some will download much software onto Nintendo 3DS. If they download many titles, the SD memory card that we will include shall not be big enough. We wanted to make the system, so that, when Nintendo 3DS owners require additional memory, they could do so simply by inserting a new bigger-sized SD memory card. We have designed the system as if the hardware's internal memory can be expanded simply by adding a new SD memory card. The owners can save the software on the new SD memory card and activate the software from the SD memory card. The ability to be able to do so can sometimes contradict with the maintenance of tight security. We would like to brush up on that aspect before the launch.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Ah, I see.

To summarize, hidden in that gigantic article from Iwata is a suggestion that the internal flash memory (Which is not confirmed to be 1.5GB) is reserved for system use, and your downloaded content runs of an SD card.

lostdwarf

OP
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
Midna said:
Ah, I see.

To summarize, hidden in that gigantic article from Iwata is a suggestion that the internal flash memory (Which is not confirmed to be 1.5GB) is reserved for system use, and your downloaded content runs of an SD card.

exactly, and also hints that using SD cards this way wont be a problem for piracy... also it seems the more of us that buy the 3DS the better the content will be... and that 3D movies are not yet part of the release.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, I interpreted it differently, in that it would act much like the Wii does currently, as the "hardware's internal memory can be expanded simply by adding a new SD memory card." Also that they can (not must) save the software to the card and activate it from there. But would that be like the Wii, in that it loaded it completely into memory, or more like a game card where it loads what it needs at the time? The DSi can store pictures on it's internal memory. If the 3DS used it's internal memory for just system use, would that indicate that pictures couldn't be store there? Just my way of thinking.

lostdwarf

OP
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
from this it seems likely the 3ds will save all photos to sd card, since 1 comes in the box. This will save the pain in the arse hassle of copying system photos to sd card photos to get them on your pc and makes a lot of sense. All music will be stored on sd card.
all games are saved to sd card or can be copied to sd card. It would make sense if cookies and all internet data is stored to a file on sd card too including photos etc..
I am also guessing all save data stays on the system as it will always be needed for crosspass.

People who dont get many games will find the included sd card just fine for photos and music.

dlf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems they learned from the Wii that the 'fridge' got full QUICKLY. Wonder if the SD card menu (if any) is adjustable by the size of the card.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome, I probably won't buy a ton of stuff from the store, but this opens up a nice opportunity for hacking.

dan80315

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lostdwarf said:
_Chaz_ said:
Awesome, I probably won't buy a ton of stuff from the store, but this opens up a nice opportunity for hacking.

Iwata says they know hackers think they will be able to use the sd card for hacking, but assures us that this will not be possible.
lol. Poor Iwata.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
This might be the first ray of hope for hackers & pirates alike. Anyways, this system is getting better by each news xD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)