Ashramkun

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello.

I was playing my 3DO, and all of a sudden it stopped working. The video game itself is turning on, but it presents me with the "insert a cd" screen.

I already opened the device, and lubricated the CD mechanism. I confirmed that the reader is working and moving, but the CD is not spinning. Looks like the drive motor is dead.

Is it common for just the drive motor to stop working? Is there an easy way to test it out before buying another one?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Some optical drives do not even try to spin up when not detecting any reflection (no disc inserted).
If the laser diode suddenly died (or doesn't get powered for whatever reason) the effect is the same: No light, no reflection even with a CD.

When turning on without disc (lid closed button pushed) the laser should light up and focus servo will try to find something (lens up/down). Problem is: CD laser is (near) infrared and invisible for most humans. Sometimes a faint glowing can be seen looking from the side on the lens. Do NOT stare into the lens from very near! The reading laser is unlikely to cause permanent damage, but focused laser light and eyes don't go together well.

Normally digital cameras (or smartphones) can see infrared light. Works perfectly for the Wii sensor bar.
I've never tried making a CD laser visible. Much easier for DVD.

Ashramkun

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks for the answer.
I try to use my cell phone.

As you can see, at least its try to read and move.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Took a while. Capturing infrared with a camera from a CD drive lens isn't as easy as from the Wii Sensor Bar → learned something…
Not sure if the method would be viable for troubleshooting. Needed a pretty dark room and the tripod for holding the phone steady (and a lot of tries to get the best angle).

Video below shows a working PSOne (the small PS1) console. Infrared can be seen in video file as little white dot inside the lens when the laser turns on and focus servo tries to focus on (missing) CD.
PSOne tries to spin even without reflection (spindle moves briefly), while an older SCPH-1002 made no attempt to to turn on the spindle motor without a CD.

You should try to find a way of verifying the laser turns on. I've no idea how to do it correctly.

• Love
Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Took a while. Capturing infrared with a camera from a CD drive lens isn't as easy as from the Wii Sensor Bar → learned something…
Unrelated but, I totally remember snagging a set of tea light candles because I couldn't find my Wii sensor bar. :rofl2:

• Haha
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just to check I don't know the 3do mechanism (and I doubt many around here would either) but I do have to ask if there are any rubber belts transferring torque around the place -- they caused no end of hassle on the xbox and 360, and tape players as well, with the 3do is more than old enough to both use one and see it perish.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Ashramkun

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I made another video, and looks like the CD is working. At least i can see a red light from the reader.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gray zone warfare looks kinda cool
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ohhh on one episode they could use rings to summon Captain Criminal who is just Obama like a spoof of Captain Planet lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does look good
    By your powers combined, hmmm where is Epstein?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just another shit fps clone
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought it was some warzone dlc bs
    Looks like an enhanced Far cry 1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's a far cry from it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it a free to play bs, pay to get any good weapon/gear
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not free to play but $35
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Inb4 kiiwii gives it a 0/10
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    6/10 rating on steam
    I would like a Predator game "Kill Team" it takes place in the Jungle of the first movie, your team is sent to hunt the predator, using current tech drones and a trained team. Set traps use strategy to hunt and trap or kill the predator.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ill stick with my Battlefield. Yea a predator hunting game like that would be cool. Esp if you can be Arnold and say "Get to da choppa"
    +1
    Maybe Arnold could do a cameo voice acting, he is the one briefing you on the mission
    +1
    Honestly surprised they didn't make a tie in game for Predators that movie was awesome
    I was kinda sad the Yakuza guy died sword fighting a predator lol
    The Russian guy went out like a boss
    Double claymores to the face definitely kill a predator lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went today and looked at a motorcycle someone was selling. I get there and the battery on it was dead, so the guy grabbed a battery charger and hooked it up. He plugged it into the wall, and the motorcycle sparked and started smoking. Come to find out the bike uses a 6 volt battery and the guy had the charger set to 12v. I said sorry to the dude and walked away. I felt bad for him tho.
    Sounds like it would be an exciting ride....
    Not sure I would want something on fire between my legs
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He ruined it basically. Sad cause it was a decent old bike. It would take more money to rewire the bike than it was worth tho.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: He ruined it basically. Sad cause it was a decent old bike. It would take more money to rewire...