3D Print faceplates for N3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by bache, Jan 16, 2015.

1. bache
    OP

bache GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 28, 2009
    Has anybody tried this? I love the look of the ambassador plates, however they're priced ludicrously on Ebay. A friend of mine has a 3D printer and has agreed to print me a set if I can find a template online. Anybody know where I can find one?

2. Wellington2k

Wellington2k DO YOU HAS?

Nov 1, 2010
    United States
    Somewhere in this world of ours
    Easy. Make a 3D model of it yourself. ;)
    In all seriousness, though, as long as you can get a good look at it with accurate measurements, it shouldn't be too hard to make your own model in Blender or Maya.

3. bache
    OP

Sep 28, 2009

I would make a model myself, but I don't have the slightest clue how :P. My friend is interstate and is going to mail the end result to me, but I'd rather not ship mine there to him and be without faceplates in the mean time.

4. chairsgotoschool

chairsgotoschool Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2014
    United States
    I did a little looking and found nothing.

looking at them it looks do-able. I would try modeling one myself but without the n3ds or a faceplate it would be hard and I wouldn't know if it worked.

if you could get me some dimensions I might try but I have no way to test them... and I am not very good at modelling but I do have a printer so I could at least get a proof of concept.

out of curiosity do you know what printer your friend has?

5. Wellington2k

Wellington2k DO YOU HAS?

Nov 1, 2010
    United States
    Somewhere in this world of ours
    I'm pretty good with Maya. Send me measurements of it with photos of it from every angle. (given you have one, of course.)

cearp likes this.
  6. bache
    OP

Sep 28, 2009

General dimensions aren't an issue, it's the curve on the inside. I haven't got anything on hand to measure it with. I'll see if I can find a protractor tomorrow (it's 4AM here) and I'll let you know what I come up with.

7. Solar47

Solar47 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 12, 2015
    United States
    I'm just going to wait until someone posts it on thingiverse lol

8. Ralph1611

Ralph1611 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 20, 2014
    United States
    I would KILL for a custom Waluigi set...

9. chairsgotoschool

chairsgotoschool Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2014
    United States
    once someone makes one making custom ones will be simple. thingiverse even allows you to make customization options for things like designs and letters.

10. katesensei

katesensei Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 13, 2015
    I know this topic is a little old, but we 3D print blank plates for the new 3DS - We've also made a few simple custom plates too :) http://www.etsy.com/shop/chompworks

Only the top cover is in the store currently, we've also modelled the base but ccurrently trying to source the little screws.

Here's a sonic plate we made for someone this week - [​IMG]

bache, metaljay and cearp like this.
  11. metaljay

metaljay GBAtemp Regular

Jan 10, 2012
    Amazing :)