Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it's a gimmick, but not a bad one. Hell, you can say the touch screen, circle pad, home menu, etc. are gimmicks. I really like the whole 3D thing, and despite not being necessary for gaming, it's a nice addition, and I'm sure a lot of future games will utilize it well.

Dylan

100 MILES AND RUNNIN'
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
There is an element of gimmickyness but this thread seems to imply that absolutely anything that isn't a core performance upgrade is just a "gimmick". I think the term is used too generally. I prefer to use the term gimmick to describe an idea that doesn't work than just any idea in general even if technically it could mean either/or

IRISH OS1R1S

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
sonknuck23 said:
Yeah sure the 3D is gimmicky, but I find "gimmick" has been associated with bad things - well, what I mean by that is people use "gimmick" negatively.

It's a gimmick, but it's a damn good one, I think it's fucking dope as shit, and even if it wears off, so what, new games will come out, and then you'll be interested in seeing the 3D in that game.

Exactly and that is what I meant when I said "gimmick" as in a negative.
I don't get why people are giving the definition of the word when they know or should have known what I meant by the question.

I said in the original post that some journalist and gamers were saying its just a gimmick, cleary those people I was talking about were using the word gimmick in a negative way.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd easily say 3D is a gimmick and a negative gimmick at that.

It's not only quite useless (in the end it's just eye candy), but it hurts your gameplay. It can halve the framerate, eat away at your battery, and in some cases, cause some irritation (like headaches or something).

I've said this time and time again but if I were to get a 3DS, the last thing I'd be buying it for would be the 3D.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:

It's not only quite useless (in the end it's just eye candy), but it hurts your gameplay. It can halve the framerate, eat away at your battery, and in some cases, cause some irritation (like headaches or something).

I've said this time and time again but if I were to get a 3DS, the last thing I'd be buying it for would be the 3D.
You haven even play it to say if any of that even effect you. You just hijacking other people experience.

Framerate is like least talk about and that was like one game.

And it isn't just "eye candy"

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
You haven even play it to say if any of that even effect you. You just hijacking other people experience.

Of course tons of other people say its a gimmick but since it's me you decide to argue. Oh joy.

Um, since when was drawing on facts and wide held opinions to support your argument bad? Fact is it can hurt your framerate. Fact is that it drains your battery. Fact is that it can cause headaches and some other minor irritations. The cons outweigh the pros.

I doubt that only one game in the 3DS library will take a hit on the framerate front from 3D.

EDIT: Your edit.

It absolutely is eye candy. The 3D isn't reliable enough to base a full game off of, which is why there's always an option to turn it off. Plus I've never had any troubles with depth perception in my video games. It's eye candy in every sense. Avatar (the blue people one) had 3D and it looked really pretty but that didn't save it from a mediocre plot and forgettable characters. 3D on the 3DS is the same thing. It can look pretty and interesting but it can't save a game from faults that have existed in gaming since its conception.

IRISH OS1R1S

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:

I disagree, I think its a positive but at least you understood the question and gave a proper answer instead of explaining the definition of the word gimmick.
rolleyes.gif

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
Guild McCommunist said:

Please, no more Disgaea vs. Zombie BBQ.

Anyway, I do consider it a gimmick, but not a bad one. Honestly, it surprised me when I first used it, I usually keep it off anyway so any negatives it brings usually don't affect me.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Really guys, the 3D is just eye candy. It's fancy eye candy, but eye candy none the less. Once again, that isn't bad, but it is a relatively weak point to try to sell a system. I still want a 3DS at some point, but there is at least some denial happening in this thread.

Sadly though, the 3DS is just Nintendo trying to profit off of the the 3D boom going on. With the introduction of 3D televisions starting to enter mainstream more, 3D movies being released for said TV's, and 3D movies having been all over the theaters for at least a couple of years now, it is just the next big thing. In retrospect, I'm a little disappointed that the 3D is the big selling point of the system. I've seen little emphasis on the amazing library of games to come or anything of the like.

It's a society of gimmicks though. Hell, cellphones are sold by the sheer number of gimmicks that can be incorporated.

Welcome to consumerism.

JasmineJewelThie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:

This is what gives me headaches. Trying to read your cryptic messages. 3d is kind of a gimmick but who cares as long as you enjoy it. Haters gonna hate.

Zarxrax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I haven't played a game yet where the 3d has made a real difference, but I'm not discounting the fact that it might be helpful in some circumstances.
But I think the main problem with the 3d is that its too hard to use. You basically have to hold the ds in a certain precise spot and dont move.
I don't know about anyone else, but I like to play my ds while lying around on my bed or the couch, or with the ds lying on a table while I eat or something. In order to see the 3d I usually have to hold it up in the air instead of letting my arms rest on something. And even then I find that I'm accidentally twisting left or right every now and then and losing the effect. It totally kills any sense of immersion because you constantly see the screen get dark and then go double image.

But hey, if you can get it in that sweet spot all the time, it looks great.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Nathan Drake said:
Really guys, the 3D is just eye candy. It's fancy eye candy, but eye candy none the less. Once again, that isn't bad, but it is a relatively weak point to try to sell a system. I still want a 3DS at some point, but there is at least some denial happening in this thread.

Sadly though, the 3DS is just Nintendo trying to profit off of the the 3D boom going on. With the introduction of 3D televisions starting to enter mainstream more, 3D movies being released for said TV's, and 3D movies having been all over the theaters for at least a couple of years now, it is just the next big thing. In retrospect, I'm a little disappointed that the 3D is the big selling point of the system. I've seen little emphasis on the amazing library of games to come or anything of the like.

It's a society of gimmicks though. Hell, cellphones are sold by the sheer number of gimmicks that can be incorporated.

Welcome to consumerism.
What I've seen is that people are really amazed by the effect... they're the normal consumers, usually fascinated by the things they don't know how it works and gimmicks like 3D without glasses ("WOW, seriously? How that works? Hey, it really works, AMAZING!").

I'm (and some people here are too) on the other side of consumers, who knows about how the things work, research a little and think how/what these gimmicks will bring to the table.

That being said, I agree with most of your post (and Guild too). And the last phrase, that's where you really got everything what I think: People will buy things for gimmicks.

Glad I'm not easily bought by these things. 3D isn't a selling point for me and will be off 100% of time.

@JasmineJewel
THANKS! I'm not alone then...

JasmineJewelThie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally think Nintendo is trying to sabotage the industry. First they want us to get off the couch with the Wii. Now they want us to see things in 3D. We should all boycott them because if we wanted to move and view 3D we would be out in the real world.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
JasmineJewelThief said:
I personally think Nintendo is trying to sabotage the industry. First they want us to get off the couch with the Wii. Now they want us to see things in 3D. We should all boycott them because if we wanted to move and view 3D we would be out in the real world.
WTF!?

IRISH OS1R1S

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
JasmineJewelThief said:

Mmmkay
wacko.gif

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Of course tons of other people say its a gimmick but since it's me you decide to argue. Oh joy.

Um, since when was drawing on facts and wide held opinions to support your argument bad? Fact is it can hurt your framerate. Fact is that it drains your battery. Fact is that it can cause headaches and some other minor irritations. The cons outweigh the pros.

I doubt that only one game in the 3DS library will take a hit on the framerate front from 3D.

EDIT: Your edit.

It absolutely is eye candy. The 3D isn't reliable enough to base a full game off of, which is why there's always an option to turn it off. Plus I've never had any troubles with depth perception in my video games. It's eye candy in every sense. Avatar (the blue people one) had 3D and it looked really pretty but that didn't save it from a mediocre plot and forgettable characters. 3D on the 3DS is the same thing. It can look pretty and interesting but it can't save a game from faults that have existed in gaming since its conception.
Wasn't tons!!!

I'm saying if enjoying the 3D and doesn't effect you as you are playing then the negatives wouldn't be that much of a issue, if at all.

I mean the battery isn't infinite, I mean come on. Get a battery extender if it bother to that point.

And we just aren't going agree on usefulness of the 3D...

Did you even make a effort to try the 3DS yourself?

JasmineJewelThie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
Wasn't tons!!!

I'm saying if enjoying the 3D and doesn't effect you as you are playing then the negatives wouldn't be that much of a issue, if at all.

I mean the battery isn't infinite, I mean come on. Get a battery extender if it bother to that point.

And we just aren't going agree on usefulness of the 3D...

Did you even make a effort to try the 3DS yourself?
lecture.gif
PROOF READ GOD DAMN IT

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay