Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
gbatemp_recommends_revivla_logo2_build-1.png
Welcome to the 52nd issue of the GBAtemp Recommends Revival Project! This project is a weekly feature where we share our favorite games and applications with you. The things we recommend may be "old school" titles, a Homebrew, a ROM hack, sleeper hits, an application, etc, but one thing's for certain, we think they are fantastic and deserve your attention!

GBAtemp Recommends!

Metal Slug 3​
gallery_111084_186_14211.jpg
gallery_111084_186_19651.gif
gallery_111084_186_27844.gif

Metal Slug 3 is the third installment in a series of run-n-gun games developed by SNK for their Neo-Geo arcade system. Released in 2000, the game was the last Metal Slug title developed by SNK before their unfortunate bankruptcy. It is often regarded as one of the more popular Metal Slug titles due to several series enhancements including selectable branching paths, varying environmental stages (underwater, space, etc), and multiple new vehicle additions.

The story is once again one of domination at the hands of an alien race. As a member of an elite fighting team, our main heroes battle their way through giant mutated crabs, across zombie infested battle grounds, and into the vast void of outer space in an attempt to stop this evil alien menace from conquering Earth. Aiding our heroes is a collection of powerful tools including weapons such as machine guns, flamethrowers, laser guns, and more, as well as powerful vehicles such as a driller machine, an armored elephant, a spaceship, and others.

Metal Slug 3 was the first game in the series to incorporate multiple branching paths. Often requiring the player to discover their entrance, these paths allowed for multiple different ways to reach the inevitable boss battle. Each stage utilized a unique play environment, while some of these stages incorporated vehicles which were designed specifically for Metal Slug 3. One such vehicle was the Elephant Slug, a huge elephant equipped with a Vulcan cannon, and the ability to shoot lightening or fire from its trunk. Each of these branching stages varied in length and difficulty and became the key element for obtaining a high score worth bragging about.

Humor and bloodshed are no strangers to Metal Slug 3 and have been combined rather uniquely. Watching your character turn into a zombie then spit a devastating blood vomit attack is one example of the games humor. Others would be the ability to control a zombie slaying lightening storm cloud or watching as a gun toting monkey helps to pick off your enemies. The game provides ample opportunities for laughter that somehow manage to fuel a desire for more humorous bloodshed in a way that only the Metal Slug series can provide.

Metal Slug 3 successfully incorporated cartoony sprites, comical experiences, blood, weapons, and excitement into a run-n-gun arcade game that is not to be missed. The game can be enjoyed on both NeoDS and MVSPSP, as well as various anthology collections. If it has been awhile since you have saved the world from the Metal Slug alien race, now is a perfect time to revisit this universe. After all, we recommend it!

Genre: Run and gun
Release Year: 2000
Developed by: SNK, Noise Factory
Published by: SNK
Released for: Arcade, Neo-Geo, PlayStation 2, Virtual Console, Xbox, Xbox 360 (XBLA)
Arcade System: Neo-Geo (708 Mbit cartridge)

If you enjoyed this weeks edition of GBAtemp Recommends! please leave a comment in the thread. This helps us monitor feedback and ensures we keep posting these articles in the future.

We are always looking for community members who wish to get more involved. If you would like to write a GBAtemp Recommends! article, let us know.

icon11.gif
Vote for your favorite Metal Slug game
gallery_111084_186_646.png
Official GBAtemp Recommends! Mini-Page & History

Reactions: 1 person

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My fave regular entry (1st Mission NGPC is the best for me) and I loved getting turned into a zombie so I can spew all over the baddies.

Reactions: 1 person

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you guys know if the controllers for the Wii - Metal Slug Anthology are any good ?
Emulation wise though it's a little off here and there though most people wouldn't notice at all, however the "blink flashing" of bosses have been removed which I can't say I like at all. It doesn't support classic controller though and personally I didn't think the controls were that comfy for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1