giorgoc89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hello all!

I'm buying a 2DS in a couple of days and I'm trying pretty hard to understand the whole backup procedure. So far I know that you need to have a firmware version up to 9.2 but the whole MSET thing is confusing me. If I don't do the MSET exploit will I need an internet connection every timtime I wanna boot a game backup? I'd rather avoid that.

From what I understand you install rxTools using the browser exploit, but what then? You can get into rxTools using the browser or using DS Profile if you've installed the MSET exploit? Do you install CIAs to emuNand or sysNand? Do you have to boot into emuNand / rxTools every time you turn the system on if you want to play an installed backup? How do you unlink nands?

Btw don't have Cubic Ninja or any flashcard.

Last edited by giorgoc89,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
To install it, follow this guide: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/

If the 2DS has 6.x firmware you won't have to worry about MSET, just install the profile exploit for 6.x. Every time you turn the system off and on again you will have to relaunch rxTools mode. It is recommended to only install things on emuNAND, in case you get a bad file and brick your system. If you brick your emuNAND there is no problem, you can just format it and start again. To unlink nands, just format your system while the SD card is not in the system. When you start it up again it will create new files for the system, separate to emuNAND's.

Fabbbrrr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
You probably should read the cfw thread. Many of your questions are there and if you look few pages back in this forum you will find all answers related to the 2ds.

-entering to rxtools is mandatory in every power on/off cycle.
-cias are installed in emunand.
-mset is the only way to get into the cfw without using the browser. However, There are few alternatives like using your smartphone to set up a server that provides the script to launch the exploit.
-emunand unlinking is well described in the proper cfw guide.

Reactions: Quantumcat

giorgoc89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
To install it, follow this guide: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/

If the 2DS has 6.x firmware you won't have to worry about MSET, just install the profile exploit for 6.x. Every time you turn the system off and on again you will have to relaunch rxTools mode. It is recommended to only install things on emuNAND, in case you get a bad file and brick your system. If you brick your emuNAND there is no problem, you can just format it and start again. To unlink nands, just format your system while the SD card is not in the system. When you start it up again it will create new files for the system, separate to emuNAND's.
Thanks for replying!

So booting rxMode will reboot my 2DS and only then will show games installed on the emuNAND. If I turn on the 2DS and don't go to the DS Profile option it will function as a regular vanilla 2DS (aka sysNAND, right?).

Also, if the firmware is 7.x-9.2 Do I need to follow a different tutorial to downgrade MSET? Is it even possible?

Ronhero

Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Oh, are these things included in rxTools and after updating to 9.2 with 6.x mset it works using the DS Profile option?

This only works if you are already on 6.x. If you're on 7.x or higher you will need to install mset as a cia or use the rxtools 6.x mset dg package

Once you have 6.x mset you just need to load the nds rop for 6.x rx

Last edited by Ronhero,

giorgoc89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
This only works if you are already on 6.x. If you're on 7.x or higher you will need to install mset as a cia or use the rxtools 6.x mset dg package

Once you have 6.x mset you just need to load the nds rop for 6.x rx
Is there any tutorial specifically for this? I don't even know what nds rop is.

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
In my past experience people usually benefit of using 6.x mset with system nand 6.0-9.2 or having a wireless sd card for the 2ds.
I tried a Toshiba Flash-Air 32GB one on O3DS.
It always causes file error due to the lack of power supply.
I don't know whether it happens on other brands or not.

Last edited by MelonGx,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Is there any tutorial specifically for this? I don't even know what nds rop is.
Nds rop is the file you install through a DS flashcart to make the DS profile exploit work again after playing a DS game. It is possible to set up rxTools with no DS flashcart but it is a lot harder. Look on local classifieds, you can very often find a bundle that includes a DS flashcart. You can then sell off the other stuff and the flashcart will end up being cheap or free.

Follow the tutorial I linked - if you have any questions about it, ask.

Ronhero

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I tried a Toshiba Flash-Air 32GB one on O3DS.
It always causes file error due to the lack of power supply.
I don't know whether it happens on other brands or not.

I had that happen with a few cards, I have not done it in a while but there were a few cards that never had an issue

Nds rop is the file you install through a DS flashcart to make the DS profile exploit work again after playing a DS game. It is possible to set up rxTools with no DS flashcart but it is a lot harder. Look on local classifieds, you can very often find a bundle that includes a DS flashcart. You can then sell off the other stuff and the flashcart will end up being cheap or free.

I just checked and FBI through H&S on devmode sys nand will pick rop for you. I use this to load rop

giorgoc89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece

Considering I'm in a tiny town in Greece, bundles and stuff is out of the picture.

The tutorial makes no mention of Nds rop though or a need for a flashcart.

So wait a minute, getting the 2DS to play backups is easy, and the tough part is the MSET exploit? Also, I have no intention of playing DS games.

Btw can someone clarify this:

But don't do that yet. First you need to create a NAND backup and an EmuNAND backup.
You can make a NAND backup from the Gateway launcher, and you can make an EmuNAND
backup by using EmuNAND Tool.
You're going to want to keep this EmuNAND backup (one of a fresh copy of your NAND),
as well as a backup of a freshly formatted (using System Format, that is) EmuNAND,
as well as a "recent" backup of your EmuNAND.

When exactly do I create these backups?

Do I make a backup of sysNAND right after running Gateway launcherfor the first time, 1 more of EmuNAND right after that first sysNAND before installing games etc, and 1 every few weeks/months so I don't lose saves etc?

giorgoc89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Do you have a 2ds yet? If not then PM me when you do and I'll set aside some time and get everything working for you the correct way
No, I'm buying the Crystal Blue with Alpha Sapphire pre-installed on Wednesday. I'll make sure to pm you and sorry for being such a noob, it's been YEARS since I've modded a console!

Thanks for your help!

Ronhero

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
No, I'm buying the Crystal Blue with Alpha Sapphire pre-installed on Wednesday. I'll make sure to pm you and sorry for being such a noob, it's been YEARS since I've modded a console!

Thanks for your help!

Why bundle? Just wondering since you can save some money without bundling

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.