Gaming 16GB Memory Stick PRO Duo for PSP possible?

webyugioh

OP
Trophies
Website
www.free-ftp.org
XP
Country
Ok, quick question.
Is a 16GB or even a 8GB Memory Stick PRO Duo compatible with a PhatPSP with 3.90M33-2 on it?
I've heard the 4GB is the biggest that will work for the PSP, but i want to know if this is true.
If 4GB is the limit, what is a good PRO Duo card holder i can get?

If it is compatible, what would be a good one to get?

Or any other ideas?

Thanks

Shyn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
16gb should be compatible with 3.90, but I don't think the read speeds are up to par just yet with smaller capacities. I would recommend 8gb cards for now.

webyugioh

OP
Trophies
Website
www.free-ftp.org
XP
Country

hanman

I'm a pretty lucky guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the ones from deal extreme are fake, so they are very slow, and are often not the sizes they say they are. i've gotten 2GB that are really 2GB, but anything larger has always actually been a 2GB. they're fine for magic memory sticks and starter sticks, but i wouldn't use one all the time.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
The limit for a PSP with 3.90m33-2 or higher (with the 1.5 addon v2 if desired) is 1TB, though there is no way to reach it short of making a MS to SATA adapter and using a desktop hard drive. In other words, if you have the latest M33 firmware there is no limit to how large of a memory stick you can use.

chuckstudios

Putting the pro in procrastination
Trophies
Website
www.schlarp.com
XP
Country
United States
nl255 said:
The limit for a PSP with 3.90m33-2 or higher (with the 1.5 addon v2 if desired) is 1TB, though there is no way to reach it short of making a MS to SATA adapter and using a desktop hard drive. In other words, if you have the latest M33 firmware there is no limit to how large of a memory stick you can use.

2TB if they used unsigned variables, according to DAX.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
chuckstudios said:
nl255 said:

2TB if they used unsigned variables, according to DAX.

Knowing Sony, they most likely use signed variables, at least in some games/apps. To be safe I wouldn't recommend going above 1TB. (good luck)

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
MicroSD to MS adapter is one of the slowest options you can take, even if you use class 6 or class 8 MicroSD. This is due to the fact that it actually has to 'adapt' between the media, although if you did use class 8, the different would be significantly smaller.

At the moment, the best option is going for a class 2 MS, the best choice being SanDisk UltraII as shown above. I would definately not recommend the blue SanDisk, as the one I received with my PSP S/L was a fake, and a cheap one at that. Happy hunting~

jelbo

Ōkami!
Trophies
Website
cursors.pocketheaven.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Does the speed impact matter in any way for functionality? An MS Pro Duo adapter with 8GB MicroSDHC (Class 4) would coust me half of what I'd pay for an 8GB SanDisk MS Pro Duo Ultra II.

I don't really mind slightly longer loading times and/or transfer speeds when putting stuff on it from my PC. I strongly disklike any in-game slowdown though.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
microSDHC transfer WAY faster from your PC than the MSProDuo's do, direclty plugged in is what I'm really counting.

w/ a usb adapter I found tons of numbers and the microSDHC are more than twice as speedy. The only problem being that some MSProDuo readers (Who the hell uses these anyway?) won't read microSDHC in the adapter (Doesn't matter as if you have a DS as well, you probably have a USB for microSD)

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
The only games that slow down are games like GTA that use live-update (loading whilst playing), however there are many YouNoob clips that show that any card (except fakes which don't work at all) can play/load these games faster than any UMD. In this way, no matter what card solution you use, it'll be faster (except if it's fake).

As for MicroSDHC 8GB Class4 (which is what I've got - check my sig), it is noticably slower when I use it in an adapter in the MS slot of the PSP - the difference can be from 4-20 seconds difference in loading times for some PSP games (depends on the bulk being loaded, and sometimes compression but that rarely makes any difference), but then again that's compared to my 4GB MS UltraII, which has some of the fastest speeds in the market. The plus side is that writing to MicroSD is about twice as fast as writing to MS (providing that you're not writing 2GB in 11,800 files of eBooks - that literally takes half an hour).

When writing to MS, using a USB cable to my PSP or putting it in the card reader in my laptop is about the same speed. When writing to MicroSD, I find that most USB readers are too slow/fragile (e.g. M3 Team's provided T-reader), so I just put it into an SD adaptor and use the very same card reader in the side of my laptop. Works like a charm for me - I love my laptop!

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Haven't tried with ISOs, only CSOs when I tested with MicroSDHC 8GB Class4. Most games I tested were still playable (Disgaea's opening loading time was quite longer than on MS but played fine, FF7:CC played without noticable lag, but had slight delays when it came to loading cinematics - less than a second, and flatout just had slower loading times for races, but played just the same). Haven't tested GTA yet, but there have been enough other people who have in the forums to go by their word.

But as I said, it is far better than if you played GTA on UMD, whether you use MicroSD, MS, or MS UltraII. It's all good because read speeds are much faster than UMD read speeds will ever be!

jelbo

Ōkami!
Trophies
Website
cursors.pocketheaven.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah I understand about the better than UMD thing, I was just worried you get ingame lag instead of longer loading times, for which I don't care.

I guess I can test myself because I own a 2GB MicroSD with an MS Pro Duo adapter
smile.gif
So far I HAVE been getting ingame lag with some heavy Loco Roco scenes (lol?) and some Metal Slug Anthology scenes. Increasing CPU speeds fixed the MSA lag, haven't tested Loco Roco yet at higher CPU speed. But I think both issues are just CPU related, not MS related.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up