128 GB SD problems

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Drak0rex, May 2, 2015.

1. Drak0rex
    OP

Drak0rex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
    I just got a 128GB mSD for my N3DS so I can install all my games as CIA. But when I run BBM, most of the CIAs show up as invalid, even though those same CIAs have been successfully installed on my O3DS 128gb SD. However, some games ARE able to be installed correctly.

If I use a smaller card in my N3DS, they show up and install normal. I was under the impression that any size card would work as long as it's formatted correctly. Does the N3DS handle large cards differently than the O3DS?

I've considered trying to install as many games as possible to a smaller card, back it up, transfer it over to the 128 GB, and then repeat and somehow merge it all, but it hurts to even think about. HELP!:wacko:

2. OngakuAikoka

OngakuAikoka Member

Newcomer
    Apr 26, 2015
    United States
    hey, you can try to use .3ds files?

3. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Vanuatu

4. Drak0rex
    OP

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
    SDHC isn't enough for all my games. For what reason would some games work but others not on a 128 GB mSD? Has anyone else tried a SDXC card in their N3DS with better results?

5. OngakuAikoka

OngakuAikoka Member

Newcomer
    Apr 26, 2015
    United States

what's the point of running .cia games when you have .3ds?

6. Drak0rex
    OP

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
    Not having to worry about public headers/getting banned if detected, having all games installed on a single medium, not needing to deal with the single row Gateway rom menu, being able to arrange my games however I want, and because I want to.

7. CIAwesome526

CIAwesome526 Im ugly and im proud

Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    The Lake, Kalos Region
    format the card in FAT32, it should work. i use a 64GB formatted in FAT32, not 128GB, but since they both use the unsupported exFAT format, im sure you can do the same, otherwise it would give me the message "a microSD card has not been detected blah blah blah" even though it ONLY shows up if the sd card was in the console, when it wasnt in the console it didnt care, no message. so obviously it knew the card was there it just couldnt read it. reformat your card and try again. windows formatter supports changing card formats.

oh and SDHC just means its formatted in FAT32, look up 64GB SDHC card, youll find some unbranded 64GB SDHC cards, and guess what they are formatted in... suprise! its FAT32! and they wuld work just fine, i used to have 2, one fried after a series of bad formats and heavy repartitoning, and the other i lost, but it worked fine. and they are all cheap, but my point is as llong as its in FAT32 it should work.

8. MrJason005

MrJason005 √2

Nov 26, 2014
    Greece
    Κάπου
    For some reason, BBM and such do not support 128GB cards.
    You are required to make a primary 90GB FAT32 partition

MelonGx likes this.
  9. Ralph1611

Ralph1611 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 20, 2014
    United States
    or, just fill up the card so that less than 100 gb of space is showing on the card...

thats what i did when i had to move up from 64 gb to 128..

I had it almost filled up and when i switched i could import cias just fine.

10. MaelstromVale

MaelstromVale Member

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2008
    United States
    I believe if it were the unused space issue typical of 128GB cards then BBM wouldn't launch at all. Since he said some cias are installing and some are invalid, the most likely scenario would be a bad or fake micro sd. Might wanna use something like h2testw to check it. That would be my first step.

MrJason005 likes this.
  11. MelonGx

MelonGx GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 8, 2009
    China
    1) Resize the 128GB SD card's non-emuNAND partition into 99GB 2) Install all CIA you want 3) Resize the partition back to its original size

12. CIAwesome526

CIAwesome526 Im ugly and im proud

Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    The Lake, Kalos Region
    doesnt resizing a partition format it?

13. drfsupercenter

drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    OK, back on topic, I had similar issues with 128GB SDs and having odd quirks with the 3DS. It's related to the cluster size in the partition. Since you can't use the official SD format tool to make SDXC cards FAT32, you have to use third-party tools and sometimes those do weird things.

I noticed that the newest builds of GParted live ISO will work fine with the 3DS. Now, I don't know how that will handle with am emuNAND since the Gateway installer reformats the card... hm, good luck with that I guess :/

MrJason005 likes this.
  14. Neptune

Neptune GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet

That's just their supported. n3ds supports 128GB but some applications have an issue with it.

15. Neptune

Neptune GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet

no