Hardware 1060 power limit? or bottlenecked?

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My 1060 under various stress tests seems to be capped at 100w and I am worried because every other card shows it pulls 125-150 on full load using furmark gpu test it also gets to 80-89c when using furmark but gaming I get 65c- 67c playing witcher 3 on high settings, biggest gpu game I play. Is there something wrong with my card or bottleneck?

CPU: Core i5 3330 @3.2ghz
RAM: Corsair 2x4 1600mhz dual channel
GPU GTX 1060 XLR8 PNY 6gb
MOBO: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155
PSU: EVGA 430W 80+ power supply
500gb SSD Munchkin
4tb HDD WD

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Difference in temp is because furmark loads the card up way beyond any real world usage. Wouldn't be suprised if there was some throttling going on as well at those temps.

Did you try firestrike? You can compare your results with similar systems to see if it's running as it should.

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Difference in temp is because furmark loads the card up way beyond any real world usage. Wouldn't be suprised if there was some throttling going on as well at those temps.

Did you try firestrike? You can compare your results with similar systems to see if it's running as it should.

So I ran firestrike and all it's test scored 8833 the card got as hot as 93c but I couldn't check the power consumption, all it did was benchmark nothing else. I want to know if my rig is getting enough power at peak when gaming or get a better fans for it/PSU for it.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
So I ran firestrike and all it's test scored 8833 the card got as hot as 93c but I couldn't check the power consumption, all it did was benchmark nothing else. I want to know if my rig is getting enough power at peak when gaming or get a better fans for it/PSU for it.
i do believe if you require more power, the whole thing would just shut down\inexpectly turn off, like an emergency brake. or at least BSOD

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i do believe if you require more power, the whole thing would just shut down\inexpectly turn off, like an emergency brake. or at least BSOD

Yeah I know, but I cannot get that info in game while it's under load all I can see with MSIafterburner the temps of my pc when gaming and ram usage fan speed etc.

Just a little freaked out when my gpu hits 80-90c under load and my cpu is only 60-68c

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Yeah I know, but I cannot get that info in game while it's under load all I can see with MSIafterburner the temps of my pc when gaming and ram usage fan speed etc.

Just a little freaked out when my gpu hits 80-90c under load and my cpu is only 60-68c
those cpu temps are normal... (about 65)
and i do believe the GPU temps as well... (however the gpu getting a little too high)
i guess you have the stock cooler right? had you re-applied thermal paste recently?

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
those cpu temps are normal... (about 65)
and i do believe the GPU temps as well... (however the gpu getting a little too high)
i guess you have the stock cooler right? had you re-applied thermal paste recently?

Yep stock coolers for both. only used thermal for cpu artic sliver mx- something grain sized amount

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Max that the 1060 would draw is 125w.
If you use furmark, aida, 3d mark, it is a synthetic test, not a real world usage. It is common for the card to go to 85+°C try Heaven benchmark.
Psu is good enough, your pc would draw max 330w

Okay anything I should look out for in case of major problems? Like fps drops? not drawing enough power?

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pay close attention to clock speeds, if it drops, than thermal throttle.
Btw, try making custom fan curve in afterburner. See what's best for you.

I'll be honest I have no clue how to use it, once I set it I usually set the fan speed to 80 auto or 90 I don't mind the noise but the temps still get high if that is anything.

vincentx77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Several years ago, I built a mostly new computer. I got a new CPU, motherboard, ram, GPU, etc. I used my old case and old power supply because they'd be working just fine. Then, suddenly, every time I started playing a game that started to get intensive, my computer just turned itself off. No warning, just BAM. Every single time. The point to my post... If you can run FurMark for any reasonable length of time, you're good. When you run out of juice, the computer has ways of telling you that are about as subtle as a sledgehammer.
And if you're really concerned about temps, you can turn the fan up a good bit, especially as the temperature of the gpu increases. I've got a 290x, and I run the fan at 70% very frequently, just so it doesn't turn the room into a freaking oven.

Byokugen

Unit_01
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Several years ago, I built a mostly new computer. I got a new CPU, motherboard, ram, GPU, etc. I used my old case and old power supply because they'd be working just fine. Then, suddenly, every time I started playing a game that started to get intensive, my computer just turned itself off. No warning, just BAM. Every single time. The point to my post... If you can run FurMark for any reasonable length of time, you're good. When you run out of juice, the computer has ways of telling you that are about as subtle as a sledgehammer.
And if you're really concerned about temps, you can turn the fan up a good bit, especially as the temperature of the gpu increases. I've got a 290x, and I run the fan at 70% very frequently, just so it doesn't turn the room into a freaking oven.
I tested my 1080 for about 1:30h, outside it's 40°C, my gpu was 86-88°C it was "lovely"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi