1060 power limit? or bottlenecked?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by jDSX, Jun 21, 2017.

1. jDSX
    OP

jDSX *pokes*

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    Happy furry land with Lucar
    My 1060 under various stress tests seems to be capped at 100w and I am worried because every other card shows it pulls 125-150 on full load using furmark gpu test it also gets to 80-89c when using furmark but gaming I get 65c- 67c playing witcher 3 on high settings, biggest gpu game I play. Is there something wrong with my card or bottleneck?

CPU: Core i5 3330 @3.2ghz
    RAM: Corsair 2x4 1600mhz dual channel
    GPU GTX 1060 XLR8 PNY 6gb
    MOBO: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155
    PSU: EVGA 430W 80+ power supply
    500gb SSD Munchkin
    4tb HDD WD

2. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Difference in temp is because furmark loads the card up way beyond any real world usage. Wouldn't be suprised if there was some throttling going on as well at those temps.

Did you try firestrike? You can compare your results with similar systems to see if it's running as it should.

3. jDSX
    OP

jDSX *pokes*

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    So I ran firestrike and all it's test scored 8833 the card got as hot as 93c but I couldn't check the power consumption, all it did was benchmark nothing else. I want to know if my rig is getting enough power at peak when gaming or get a better fans for it/PSU for it.

4. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    i do believe if you require more power, the whole thing would just shut down\inexpectly turn off, like an emergency brake. or at least BSOD

5. jDSX
    OP

jDSX *pokes*

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    Yeah I know, but I cannot get that info in game while it's under load all I can see with MSIafterburner the temps of my pc when gaming and ram usage fan speed etc.

Just a little freaked out when my gpu hits 80-90c under load and my cpu is only 60-68c

6. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    those cpu temps are normal... (about 65)
    and i do believe the GPU temps as well... (however the gpu getting a little too high)
    i guess you have the stock cooler right? had you re-applied thermal paste recently?

7. jDSX
    OP

jDSX *pokes*

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    Yep stock coolers for both. only used thermal for cpu artic sliver mx- something grain sized amount

8. Byokugen

Byokugen Unit_01

May 16, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    Just a bit to the right, or was left...
    Max that the 1060 would draw is 125w.
    If you use furmark, aida, 3d mark, it is a synthetic test, not a real world usage. It is common for the card to go to 85+°C try Heaven benchmark.
    Psu is good enough, your pc would draw max 330w

9. jDSX
    OP

jDSX *pokes*

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    Okay anything I should look out for in case of major problems? Like fps drops? not drawing enough power?

10. Byokugen

Byokugen Unit_01

May 16, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    Pay close attention to clock speeds, if it drops, than thermal throttle.
    Btw, try making custom fan curve in afterburner. See what's best for you.

11. jDSX
    OP

jDSX *pokes*

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    I'll be honest I have no clue how to use it, once I set it I usually set the fan speed to 80 auto or 90 I don't mind the noise but the temps still get high if that is anything.

12. Byokugen

Byokugen Unit_01

May 16, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    Set the minimun speed @25°c than just up the scale. It's easy. Put 40% on 35°C and so on.

13. vincentx77

vincentx77 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 7, 2009
    United States
    Several years ago, I built a mostly new computer. I got a new CPU, motherboard, ram, GPU, etc. I used my old case and old power supply because they'd be working just fine. Then, suddenly, every time I started playing a game that started to get intensive, my computer just turned itself off. No warning, just BAM. Every single time. The point to my post... If you can run FurMark for any reasonable length of time, you're good. When you run out of juice, the computer has ways of telling you that are about as subtle as a sledgehammer.
    And if you're really concerned about temps, you can turn the fan up a good bit, especially as the temperature of the gpu increases. I've got a 290x, and I run the fan at 70% very frequently, just so it doesn't turn the room into a freaking oven.

14. Byokugen

Byokugen Unit_01

May 16, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    I tested my 1080 for about 1:30h, outside it's 40°C, my gpu was 86-88°C it was "lovely"

15. vincentx77

vincentx77 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 7, 2009
    United States
    Heh.. You can fry an egg on some of those AMD GPUs after watching a 10 minute youtube video.

In the winter...