ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I have infact. It is great for people who just love to see the little details. But your right. For an everyday person it isn't THAT much of a difference. But it is A LOT better than an average DVD.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
No good games coming out for PS3?

Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Lair
Heavenly Sword
Warhawk
GTA4
Bladestorm
Uncharted
Final Fantasy XIII (Versus is a long way from now so I didn't include it in the list)
Folklore

I don't know which of these are multi and which are exclusive (Well Sigma is an upgraded port so it has its own merit too)
Most of these games due out in North America later half of 2007, their price drop seems to be a good strategy.

Just simply give PS3 time, just as you did for XBOX360. XBOX360 came out 11 months ahead of PS3, so they have 11 months worth of good games out already. Fast forward 11 months for PS3, FF13 Versus is iminent.
I don't see any notable difference in terms of the rate good games are coming out relative to its console launch date.
It sounds like 20-year-old guy beat up 9-year-old kid and "won". Well that's only fair, being born earlier has advantages and if the kid feels unfair he could have been born earlier as well.

I'm being a bit sarcastic here. But when's the last time university students and elementary kids compete on SAT scores? I don't know why it only applies to consoles.

ugly_rose

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
It's more crisp and have a deeper level of detail, but it's pretty pointless overall. I could live with out it, really.
Yes, and what's up with TV? It has images and colour, but it's pretty pointless overall. I could live without it, really.

Too true.
wink2.gif

It is quite sad to have the most expensive dust collector in town though. I go polish it from time to time though...
laugh.gif

P.S. I don't watch TV much actually and I am wholly convinced we can live without it. To answer Sarcasm Santa.

santakuroosu

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You were saying that HD media isn't all that better because it only presents things in HD. Well, guess what? That's the point.
If you don't think that HD is worth it, then why buy a HD capable TV and player? You sir, are a tool.

deathfisaro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
P.S. I don't watch TV much actually and I am wholly convinced we can live without it. To answer Sarcasm Santa.

For past 4 years I had no TV at my house.
For 3 years before I had no TV, the only thing I watched was NEWS, something like 2 hours a month.
Before I started watching only news, the only thing I watched was animations before dinner time and Sunday morning (They must have showed it so early to make kids wake up early and go to church, but I skipped church to watch animations)

When I visit my girlfriend's house, Discovery channel and Food network are fun to watch (Especially Food Network, I'm such a picky eater (in terms of taste) and my foods don't live up to my expectations lol. FN helps out greatly)

[M]artin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony needs better reps that know when and when not to open their fucking mouths (and the right things to say, god dammit!) Sony is jerking around their potential customers (a.k.a. their only hope of pulling any kind money out of this PS3-Flop). I'm starting to think that Sony really hates money.

deathfisaro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I know what.
Ryoji doesn't have any plans for price drop now
And on E3 he suddenly comes up with a "plan"
Meh whatever, I've been calling PS3 "the best blu-ray player" so I don't give a damn

suprneb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol im still not getting it and this is just bad news for sony because they're losing even more money per ps3 now

deathfisaro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It could be a fad, but home theatre's audio so outperformed its video. Now with HD-DVD and blu-ray, home theatre's visuals kick back.

Remember the Future shop (I think) ad, where the customer service guy visits a customers house because that guy apparantly got his speaker wires switched and got no sound, and with windows exploding service guy shouting "I think he figured out, sounds great"
Windows exploding is a bit exaggerated but we've had great audio (5.1~7.1, SAudioCD, etc) for a while. (With audio, if source or speakers don't produce the sound, you don't know it so you can't tell if it's bad until you hear a better one. Bad visuals? So easy to spot)

I personally am willing to pay for extra video/audio. Don't really care if other people think it's a waste of money, fad, whatever. I got 7.1 speakers set up but no great visual until recently (HD-DVD or blu-ray, though I'm sold over to blu-ray due to PS3)

skywarp

Trophies
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
The reason Sony would deny it is it would mess up sales, you don't announce this kind of price cut weeks in advance. Think about it, if EVERYONE knows the PS3 is going to get a $100 dollar price cut in two weeks, who is going to buy one in those two weeks before the price drop? Virtually nobody.

No good games coming out for PS3?

Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Lair
Heavenly Sword
Warhawk
GTA4
Bladestorm
Uncharted
Final Fantasy XIII (Versus is a long way from now so I didn't include it in the list)
Folklore

No one has said there are no good games coming out for the PS3, they said there are no good games out now, as in there's no reason to buy it at it's current price.

But to respond to your list anyway; Ninja Gaiden Sigma is a port of a 3.5 year old Xbox game with some added features, and GTA4 is multiplatform, and the Final Fantasy franchise has been shit for years. I haven't even heard of any of those other games besides Heavenly Sword.

Resident Evil 5, Devil May Cry 4, Virtual Fighter 5, Soul Caliber 3, are all multiplatform, and if the PS3 continues on it's current path, you are going to see the other major franchises that Sony has left (like Tekken and Metal Gear Solid) become multiplatform as well or just jump ship entirely.

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There are always good games coming out for every system...but that doesn't count really...its what out NOW is what counts...

Anyways aside from that, Sony wants to deny the price drop because they want people to keep purchasing PlayStation 3 units until the price drop instead of having a completely stagnant sales period while people await the price drop.

Edit: Oh one more thing...if Sony does this price drop, Microsoft will immediately drop the price of their Elite model by $80. Nintendo won't follow suit until a few months later and only drop the price by a mere $20.

deathfisaro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, I've never heard of those games until couple weeks ago. And when I saw trailers/play movies, they are worth buying PS3 for.
You probably never heard of them because they're Sony's first party games or exclusives (Heavenly Sword was abandoned by Microsoft, I'd have considered buying 360 instead if they didn't)
The games I listed are either already out in Japan (Folklore aka Folks soul) due out in Q3 (NGS, Lair, HeavenlyS, WarHawk) or Q4 (GTA, Bladestorm, Uncharted)
It hasn't been even a year since PS3 came out, and the first party programmers are doing a good job (finally good use of Sixaxis controller)
I don't mind grabbing NGSigma even though it's an old game port because Rachel is playable
tongue.gif
(I bet there is still plenty of empty space in that blu-ray though. They could have done more..)

I already own NDSL, PSP my girlfriend has NDSL, Wii (and GameCube)
I don't care if game companies leave Sony, as long as their game isn't totally cancelled. I can easily get and mod 360, which isn't too expensive anyway.

I'm not a big fan of FPS/fighting games (unless FPS supports USB mouse) So even if Tekken, DOA, VF, SC came out PS3 exclusive I wouldn't play it. Never liked MGS and BioHazard series either. Also sneak/assasinate games aren't my type either. (Assassin's Creed is awesome except the main guy isn't Prince of Persia and will die in one hit)

As I said so many times, even if I already owned a 360 I'd get PS3 because it's the best priced blu-ray player and will be the only addition needed on my home theatre for a while. The gaming features come as extra for free.

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sooo...ummm...The PS3 has now just been officially dropped by $100US and a new 80GB model has been announced at $599.99 with free Motorstorm...

Who's gonna be buying now? Just wondering.

deathfisaro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I don't get what the big deal with taking out PS2 chip and putting bigger hard drive. (Apparently South Korea's already got the 80GB w/o PS2 chip version on sale for like $4xx US looooooooong time ago on March 2nd, and they don't pay tax so WTF why is it so expensive in North America?)

I'm getting 60GB if it ends up cheaper than 80GB w/o PS2. (60GB and 80GB production cost should be about the same)
I'll be getting NGS (US) MotorStorm(US) movie 300 BD along with the console. I'll see if Folks soul (Folklore) and Gundam Mussou are any good in US version, if not getting them in JP. By that time I won't have to "wait" for games, time will wind itself as I play those games and new games like Lair and Heavenly Sword will be released with me saying "ALREADY?"

It seems the new Cell processor is made 65nm instead of 90nm. Which results in 15~30% decrease in electricity consumption and heat. I don't think this is a big merit either.

Man, other Electronics companies would cry over this price drop of "already cheap blu ray player"

P.S. I want the Red Canadian themed PS3!!!
P.S.2. I wonder what are the 15 PS3 exclusives that are to come out in this fiscal year announced by Sony. I only know like 7-ish of them.
P.S.3. Looks like PS is finally getting lost rumble feature back. I don't have an English source (it looks like machine translated) Japanese source pretty much means nothing here so I won't link it. People were saying it's a rumour I have no idea.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see this helping them at all in the least bit against Microsoft. MS has the 'elite' which has a $20 lesser price, has an equally large drive and all the other high def stuff on its end. Outside of BR vs HDDVD there's really no sense in even giving a crap about the $100 price drop of the PS3 60GB ver to $500...still more costly than 360, and still can get 2 Wiis for 1 PS3. Big yawn there.

I'm curious to see how Sony weathers this stupid move as they lose like $200/pop on each one sold to a consumer on the current model. Also I'm not sure what that July bit was, but I read off a normal news site it was sometime August for the USA/NA market.

Edited for Renegade: On that matter of price drop. You're right MS could afford to do that and just basically go back to their original losses. Humorously though, and sickening at the same time...is the Wii. Originally slated to come out breaking basicaly even at $200, but was hiked to $250 because they found they could get away with it, plus feared people would dog it as a budget system. They could lower that sucker to $200 the moment Sony does that without batting an eye as they'd still be raking in cash on each one sold, just not such a wide margin. Thank my brother at THQ (asst producer) who let me in on that bs a few months ago.

deathfisaro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well, the effectiveness of a price drop depends on how big portion of people didn't buy the system because of its high price.

How many people went to buy Wii and said "Jeez I wish it was $50 cheaper I'll wait until its price drops"?

If Wii goes from 250 to 200 (USD), that's 20% drop, PS3 going from 700 to 550 (CAD) about 20% drop as well. But since the absolute value of price drop is so different (F/X rate is 1.05 to 1, Wii in Canada was CAD289.99), customers are likely to think they're "saving" money by getting a console that dropped 150.

gamefaqs.com's today's poll is "What do you think of the PlayStation 3's $100 price drop?" and atm 25% people still think it's too expensive. I kinda agree, but I'm getting it because I can afford the new price.

For past 10 days or so I've been monitoring futureshop to snipe a PS3 for cheap, for past 9 days they sold 10. Between yesterday midnight (that's theoretically today but anyway) and noon they sold 5 units, between noon and 7:49 p.m. (now) they sold 27. They have 10 units remaining. (I went to pickup dinner, and 7:59 now they have 8 units left)

I don't have any other info on other stores, Best Buy doesn't tell me how many units they have left.

They dropped price at a really good timing, many PS3 exclusive games are imminent (Or should I say games are released at a good timing?) so it will get fewer "Meh still doesn't have any good games though" comments.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol