Hacking NDS Manager for Windows

ShortFuse

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After a long time, I'm finally releasing NDS Manager (the updated version of DS-X Manager) to the general public. Many of tweaks have been done behind the scenes. At the moment, it's strictly an alpha build as I returned back to the v2.4 style with two separate views. v2.5+ had a different style emphasizing on a library and queue list, but due to the lack of simplicity, I'm going back to my original design with some tweaks.

I've been developing this application originally for the DS-X.
You can find a link to it here
http://forums.ds-xtreme.com/showthread.php?t=1050
but this thread will probably the official one from now own.

It has full ZIP/RAR support, no need to decompress them and also has CRC32 database checking.
Make sure you modify profiles.ini to suit your cart version.

Latest versions are:
v0.3.0.0 (alpha) (trim/zip/rar)
v0.2.6.1 (beta) (trim/zip/rar/library)
v0.2.4 (stable) (trim/zip)

v0.3.0.0:
ndsmanv03.jpg

v0.2.5.0:
DS-X_Manager.jpg

I have made a stand-alone for the trimmer and called it NDS Trimmer. It is open source and has been ported to C and well as C++. It is available here:
http://forums.ds-xtreme.com/showthread.php?t=1964
On that thread, there is already a win32 version, mac os x (universal build). it has already been compiled for even AmigaOS and some have already compiled it for use on linux systems.

0x080 to 0x083 holds the ROM Size
Since you can't seek in ZIP or RAR files, reading an entire file to find out if there is WiFi data would take way too long. If a game has WiFi support, an extra 136 bytes are added to the trim size. To save so much time (speed is my main focus) I treat every file as if it has WiFi data means I copy an extra 136 bytes after the ROM size specified in the header. 136bytes is practically nothing. The problem is, if you have used another trimmer to trim the ROM and the game does not have WiFi data, NDS Manager will believe this file has been overtrimmed by 136 bytes.
I could make a database of all the files, but I don't like hardcoding stuff like that. I would like my program to be future proof. You won't see game art, box covers, any extra data included in the executable. The program is stand alone and all the information will be pulled from the NDS file itself (icon included).
There is one extra database I do use, and that is PocketHeaven's DAT release but this is simply for CRC32 checking to see if you have a verified file. NDS Manager will also create a have.txt and missing.txt based on the DAT files which means it's somewhat like GoodTools and you can see if you have a complete NDS ROM set.

Remember, v0.3 is an ALPHA build. It shouldn't even be considered Beta. 3.1 would probably be the beta release and 3.5 a stable release.

Notes for v0.3 Alpha Build
  • Be sure to modify profiles.ini before using
  • You currently can't remove an item. (restart program)
  • Type a directory path in top right textbox to search for roms.
Download here: (rapidshare links until gbatemp.net officially acknowledges it and mirrors the files)
DS-X Manager v0.3.0.0
DS-X Manager v0.2.4
DS-X Manager v0.2.6.1 (dll's included)

Changelog:

Version 0.3
-----------
Renamed to NDS Manager
Fixed bug where file scanner would freeze if a ZIP file contained a directory
Added support for other (any) devices
Redesigned GUI back to original style but with new toolbar
Optional CRC32 checks
Better homebrew detection
Pocketheaven DAT for have/missing list (requires CRC32)
Changed queue method.
Removed window size restrictions
Replaced Queue Menu with + Status Icon in NDS DataGrid
Optimized RAR extraction code

Version 0.2.6.1
---------------
Set Game Icon back to first column as default
Resorting of column is saved on exit
Missing files aren't displayed in the library
Version number is displayed on form

Beta testers welcome

ShortFuse

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a bug in the 3.0.0.0 build where zip and rar files won't find the nds file if it's not the first file in the archive (like if an .nfo or diz file comes first). I fixed that, but haven't uploaded the change. Let me know it's urgent for some of you and I won't wait to upload the quickfix.
I'm currently breaking my head on trying to read 7z files natively (without extracting it to disk)

Dark^'^Knigh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
sphere9 said:
seem promising, downloading it now, i've been searching for an alternative to rominator.

I'm the same....and I thought the Vox3TR browser was the only alternative. Check the topic immediately before this one, as users have advised a couple of others options also. This one, will all due respect, seems far too native for my liking.

Sephi

fool
Trophies
Website
nov.us.to
XP
Country
United States
Interesting, I'm gonna try this right away

edit:Pretty nice. tried the latest version, and it seems a bit glitchy, plus it makes my computer make a loud buzzing noise.

ShortFuse

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glitchy how? The interace is all messed up, to be honest. I stripped away everything I was doing. Please remember I started writing this thing in late 2006 and I stopped mid-2007. I picked up my code and started working on it last week.

I'm trying to get it as simple as possible. Connect your device or microSD card, open application, transfer. That's it.

I ripped out a lot of features from the older versions (personal library support, custom grouping, , search by: region or cart size or ratings, ratings, save profiles, comments, sync list, quick filter box) because as I tried to add more and more things, it become ridiculously cluttered. The User Interface needed a reboot and v0.3 wipes the slate clean for making it optionally more complex. (keyword: optionally)

Now that I'm starting the UI again, I'd like help with ideas on how to redo my application.

The basics are there:
Asynchronous file scanning
Asynchronous file transfers
Queuing
CRC32 checking
Full ZIP file reading
Full RAR file reading

Version 0.3.0.1 will probably through in the ability to upload your select roms (trimmed or not) via FTP so you can use DSFTP and sync your DS with your computer via wireless.

Sephi

fool
Trophies
Website
nov.us.to
XP
Country
United States
transferring games on FTP takes ages, plus a glitch in DSFTP causes a weird error while transferring for more than a minutes and then it just gets kinda weird ~

by glitchy I meant, the games list didn't like appearing for me.

ShortFuse

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sephiroth said:
transferring games on FTP takes ages, plus a glitch in DSFTP causes a weird error while transferring for more than a minutes and then it just gets kinda weird ~

by glitchy I meant, the games list didn't like appearing for me.

The top right search is for local files
You could edit profiles.ini before using it. I think it's defaulting to DS-X which is X:\apps (x being your drive)
You would have to go to Tools => Options and select CycloDS every time you start up if you don't modify your profiles.ini
I have "CycloDS" which is just the root file. I should have that issue fixed for the next release (I don't even have a DS-X anymore)

ShortFuse

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, this what I do:
Tools, Options, Select CycloDS and check everything
Refresh NDS Cart
Select D:\ as my drive
I type "C:\Stuff\nds" (where my stuff is)
Click Search... => with subfolders

Top displays what's in c:\stuff\nds\*
bottom shows what's in d:\*

I'm sorry if it's confusing. I'm working on stability first then working on an understandable design.

And yeah DSFTP is slow, but I guess I'll use it only for quick .sav backups

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks short fuse your program looks really promising... i really want to download it since rominator is giving me freezing problems... but my internet connection unfortunately blocks rapidshare but allows megaupload could you please upload a megaupload link it would be more than appreciated. Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pass