Xbox Softmodding Help

Dermy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to mod my xbox to get some use out of it. I already have the original splinter cell, a memory card, and the action replay software. All I need is some way to transfer the exploit to the memory card. I don't really want to buy action replay if I don't have to so I want to make a usb adapter. Is there a good tutorial anywhere on how to make an adapter so that I can plug a usb flash drive directly into the xbox?

I have a couple of questions about the installers and AID too.
Which installer do I use for the softmod? Krazie's Ndure installer (1.1?), Softmod Installer Delxue 5.01 or what?

I want to be clear on AID. It's just a bunch of files you burn to a disc and you can use it to install dashboards and apps right? What is the difference between the light and full versions?

I have found 2 versions (4.20 and 4.21). Do I install 4.20 with one disc first then burn a 4.21 disc and update it or do I take the files from 4.21 and overwrite the ones with 4.20 then burn one disc?

Sorry for all the questions. Just want to make sure I know what I'm doing.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Xbox-mem card adapter.
There are various sorts, I usually just get a USB extension and solder all the like coloured wires together in the extension and controller cable (you will have one more in the xbox cable (yellow if I am not mistaken) but as far as this is concerned it does nothing and I prefer before the breakaway section).
Others include modding at the controller memcard port and replacing a port on the xbox console with a USB port.

Bear in mind some sticks will not work but you can usually find one that will. The xbox will autoformat to FATX and sometimes try to delete non-save files (the installers all come with them as save files so that should not be a problem) so make sure to plug it in after booting once you have it up and running.
If you know someone with a modded xbox they can transfer the files for you as well.

What to use:
Softmod installer deluxe and painless and is a wrapper for the Krazie's Ndure anyhow.

AID
Simple AID (lite/light) is an iso for the xbox containing various dashboards, tools and emulators and a collection of useful tools for windows PCs (aimed at 2k and XP mainly but you should still be able to achieve either side).
The more complex version (full) allows you to add roms to the xbox iso but I would say do not bother with that at the start (FTP and whatever else are just as easy).

4.20 and 4.21 are just release names. 4.21 comes with a few updates for a few of the more obscure emulators (spectrum was one of them if memory serves) and some dashboards (which are now old versions so it does not really matter, t3ch does xbmc and does it well.)
Get whatever one is easiest.

martin88

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well if you already have the memory card just modify the controller connector to USB and use your controller as memory card reader. That's how I softmodded my xbox.

SkankyYankee

GBAtemp Advanced Skank
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
rewiring an xbox extension cord with a usb extension cord is definitely the smart move. if you rewire both sides (I.E. your female xbox cord to usb male can hook up to your USB female to xbox male) it will not only allow you to play games on pc w/ your box controller but allow you to hook up USB controller, memstick, ect.. I use mine to play stepmaniaX using the keys!

Dermy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
martin88 said:
Well if you already have the memory card just modify the controller connector to USB and use your controller as memory card reader. That's how I softmodded my xbox. I think I'll try that first. Luckily I found an extra breakaway cable in my closet. I don't think I have a cable with a usb female end too.

QUOTE(fischju @ Jun 29 2008, 07:01 PM) You could also do a hotswap
I thought about doing that but I thought it would be too easy to mess up. The memory card softmod seems more noob friendly.

So should I just FTP a few files once it's modded because I just want to make xbmc as my dashboard for now.

Dermy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I got it softmodded
smile.gif
Now I have xbmc on it and a new hd on the way. I wanted to upgrade the hd using xboxhdm but when I made the linux iso with my backed up C and E drives it turns out to be 1.5GB. The computer won't boot from it unless it's on a cd right? Will a dvd work too? I'll make this plan B for now.

I want to try the chimp method first but I'm having some trouble. When I boot chimp, a green screen flickers for a sec and some text appears along the top and left. The whole thing seems to be too far left though because I can see only the 2004 part of a date. Nothing else seems to show, no menu options or anything.

Is is supposed to stay this way until you unplug your dvd drive or is this the symptom for a v1.6 xbox?

I might try to use the xboxhdm method if I can't get chimp to work. Chimp just seemed easier.

Dermy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Prime said:
Sorry to hijack your thread but i was wondering if someone could point be to a guide on softmodding a xbox?
You can, temporarily
tongue.gif
Which game do you have for the softmod? I can try to help u out. Or do you need to start from scratch with like a list of what you need?

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
EvilShenanigans! said:
Prime said:
Sorry to hijack your thread but i was wondering if someone could point be to a guide on softmodding a xbox?
You can, temporarily
tongue.gif
Which game do you have for the softmod? I can try to help u out. Or do you need to start from scratch with like a list of what you need?

tongue.gif
Start from scratch
=D

Dermy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I took parts from different tutorials and was able to softmod my xbox. I found this tutorial for the exploit I used here. It should tell you everything to get started. The only thing I did differently is that I made an xbox breakaway cable into a usb cable so that I could plug a controller into my pc and transfer the saves to a memory card with the action replay software. After your xbox is modded you can then ftp into it and change dashboards, add programs and games, and customize it to your liking.

Xeijin

Trophies
Website
www.xeijin.org
XP
Country
Nottulys said:
Do all DVD+R work for burning ISOs? I've tried countless DVD-Rs and to no avail.

It depends on the make of your drive. The Thompson drives are the pickiest when it comes to reading Media like DVD-R/CD-R etc. The Philips drives are slightly better but the best are the samsung drives.

You can tell what type of Drive is in your Xbox here:

http://www.xbreporter.com/xboxdvddrivecomparison.php

When I modded my Xbox I used the hard drive swapping technique. It's a bit complicated and requires opening up your PC but you don't need anything except a PC and the Xbox (and a screwdriver).

SkankyYankee

GBAtemp Advanced Skank
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nottulys said:
Do all DVD+R work for burning ISOs? I've tried countless DVD-Rs and to no avail.

1. You are talking about the original Box, Right?

2. Which DVD drive do you have?

Types working on my Thompson so far:

Sony DVD+R
Sony DVD-R
Imation DVD-R
Maxwell DVD+R

Your problem might also be the booktype setting on the disc. I needed to get a custom firmware for my burner before they worked. There are guides for this in the usual places.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.