OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gday,

Just walked in the door and the Wii was flashing blue and beeping at me.
I have done the 3.0E update, and using a Genuine WiiKey here.

This new message from Nintendo says:

----------------------------------------------
A new update for you Wii console
is available!
This update will prevent your Wii
console from locking up, which can
occur when using the Internet
Channel if you press RESET on
either your Wii console or the
HOME Menu. This update also
corrects some Internet connection
stability issues when using the Wii
LAN adapter from Nintendo.
Please press the "Update" button on
the bottom-right to update your Wii
console.
--Nintendo
----------------------------------------------

I am in Australia.

Anyone else with a WiiKey know if this update is safe to install ?

Couldn't find any other posts regarding this, sorry if it has already been posted before.

Cheers

UPDATE: Did the update, as a few have suggested, Wii backups, GameCube backups and updated GCOS WiiKey 1.2 Setup DVD all still work fine =]

dcramps

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just got it myself, not sure if I'll bother installing it. Don't use the LAN adapter or the Internet Channel.

If I do, I'll be waiting to see if it causes any problems with WiiKeys, etc.

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Forgot to mention everything works fine. The firmware version hasn't even changed. Using a Wiikey also.

I was actually going to make a topic but I guess I got beat to it.

spokenrope

c7
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Haha. I read this thread, left for seriously 10 seconds, and them BAM my Wii's blue light popped on.

These updates are getting a little out of hand. They're making me a little bit nervous. But safe on ntsc, you say? Time to download!

n13astra

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Congratulations!!!

If an exploit was even possible from this crash, you've just closed the door on it.

DON'T UPDATE unless IT IS ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, DEFINITELY, CERTIANLY, ETC.. necessary.

Da Foxx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can anyone check if USB keyboards work with the internet channel?
unsure.gif

I'm updating right now.. So i'll tell you how it goes with Canadian Wii with a Wiikey.

Edit: Everything seems to work fine.

CYatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Congratulations!!!

If an exploit was even possible from this crash, you've just closed the door on it.

DON'T UPDATE unless IT IS ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, DEFINITELY, CERTIANLY, ETC.. necessary.

Pshaw. Like that'll really make a difference if you already have a chip to play burnt games. The only homebrew that'd come out with an exploit like that would be HELLO WORLD, and maybe a crappy version of Tetris. Neat, but really not worth the wait.

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Updating now. Wiikey + US Wii. Got the blue light so figured: what the hell, might as well do it anyways. I doubt in one week they could suddenly brick modchips so i find it safe. Wii Backups still work so I'm happy.
EDIT: It's just a bugfix, still reports as FW Version 3.0U

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Congratulations!!!

I'm sorry, I didn't think this bug screamed exploit. I'm willing to wait for quite a while with the type of exploits found on the PSP, but not something that people don't even speculate to be the door to some exploit. Especially with the many great games releasing by the end of the year which may require an update.

I still doubt if they can actually brick Wii's though. They were able to block discs made in a certain format so I guess it could be possible.

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Congratulations!!!

Pshaw. Like that'll really make a difference if you already have a chip to play burnt games. The only homebrew that'd come out with an exploit like that would be HELLO WORLD, and maybe a crappy version of Tetris. Neat, but really not worth the wait.

At the best it would be a way to install custom firmware, but that would take million years to do anyway. Like that would happen.

And still i don't think that they will brick your wii with an update. All modchips are driverchips and nintendo can't change the driver firmware afaik.

Remy669

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Haha. I read this thread, left for seriously 10 seconds, and them BAM my Wii's blue light popped on.

These updates are getting a little out of hand. They're making me a little bit nervous. But safe on ntsc, you say? Time to download!

Yeah i have that too, i can't sleep with the thought that my Wii won't work the next day or something like that
tongue.gif
Because i just don't have the money to buy a new one...
frown.gif

mosca.br

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Congratulations!!!

For the description of the crash in the message, I doubt this crash is exploitable, since there is no way you can add a usefull payload by interacting with the wiimote.
wink.gif
But they might have fixed the .flv crash, wich might be exploitable.

I'd say that maybe, backing up the internet channel is enough to have an exploitable internet channel again, after the update.

Talvon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Does this fix the news channel and everybody votes too? I haven't got the light yet and both those channels are broke, though the browser works fine

mcj

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Congratulations!!!

Not every "bug" = exploit. I've been lurking on this, and other forums, for awhile. Why does everyone think a bug in the software allows you to "inject code to overflow the buffer which will allow you to run homebrew and whatever else"? Do the majority of you even know what that means?

After all the progress that has been made in mod'ing consoles you'd think the lot of you would know better.

And why all the damn caps? So annoying ...

Chopders

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
THE BIGGEST WTF EVER
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

I read some post here, so I have decided to update my Wii (Canadien Wii with WiiFree).

The update was finish, all was normal, exept ONE thing, I CAN'T READ ANYMORE MY BACKUPS GAMECUBE AND WII.
mad.gif

I did the update before (with all the stuff, clock and everything) and now, with the stupide inthernet channel, I can't play anymore with my games .
mad.gif

Anyone can help me plz. I NEED HELP. :'(

Edit:

ssj4android

Trophies
XP
Country
My Wii has frozen a bit at the black screen before loading the menu since the last update. Should be I be concerned? I didn't install this one yet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: now i'm not gay, but hear me out