Cocodrilo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi everybody!
I have been thinking about this...
Is it possible to port a GBA Emulator homebrew to run GBA games to those with Slot-1 Flashcards?

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
I really dont mean to be rude or anything but theres a sticky about GBA on a slot 1

Please look around before you post

and to sum it up for you, it is not possible because the hardware is not sufficient. To find a workaround without a slot 2 would take too much time and effort and would not be that great anyway

Cocodrilo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes i'd know that with a slot1-card its not possible to run a gba rom itself (couse of the gba functions not being activated) ... But i was thinking if it was possible to emulate gba instead ...

Anyway thanks for help!

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Slot-1 manafacturers should start shipping out carts with splash screens that say "No GBA on Slot-1... ever". This question must get asked about 10 times a day on the R4 forums (sometimes right on top of each other as well!), and alot here as well.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes i'd know that with a slot1-card its not possible to run a gba rom itself (couse of the gba functions not being activated) ... But i was thinking if it was possible to emulate gba instead ...

Anyway thanks for help!

wait a sec...sice when is running a rom and emulating a rom different?

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
this isn't impossible and in fact i'm thinking about making a simple prove of concept demo just to prove too everyone who says its impossible but it is in fact possible, at descent speeds and playing roms larger than say 2 or 3 megs i doubt it but simple homebrew titles should fit within that limit

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand why people want to emulate GBA on the DS slot1 when all you have to do is get a slot2 card and play all the GBA games you want until your heart quivers with delight and you giggle like a little school girl with feathers in her panties.

You don't have to emulate GBA on the DS, the DS SUPPORTS GBA in slot2.
rolleyes.gif

You're already able to get all the games you want for free, yet you can't spend a few bucks on a slot2 card?
dry.gif

Geez. Some people never cease to amaze me.
wacko.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
wait a sec...sice when is running a rom and emulating a rom different?
Running a ROM means the hardware "understands" the code natively, and interprets commands, graphics, sounds, etc. directly. A machine emulating another console has to have the virtual console running (so that the code "thinks" it's running on the appropriate console), and translate and adapt every bit of code (because of differences in processor architecture), and convert every bit of graphics, into something that machine "understands", on the fly, and then run it.

A GBA runs GBA ROMs; a PC with VisualBoy Advance emulates the GBA to run ROMs, because the PC has x86 architecture and the GBA has ARM7.

To successfully emulate a processor you have to have a much faster machine, because it has to translate and adapt in real time, as well as "translating" and adapting player feedback, and actually run the code, in real time. That means up to hundreds of operations for every line of code in the original ROM.

And the DS is too slow to emulate, and trying to make it actually interpret GBA code directly would be way too much hassle.

Get a Slot2 flashcard, people
lecture.gif

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
I found this little gem on bamboo gaming today

QUOTE said:

Product Information

R4 DS is not able to play GBA games.

R4 Team do not provide replacement shell anymore!!

R4 only got gray colour and due to the new shipping policy of China Post, we are not able to send the CD-ROM anymore, the software could be downloaded at the link we provide below

I think were starting to head into the right direction people

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah. The DS can read DS code through slot 1. The DS can read DS code through slot two. The DS can read GBA code from Slot -2. But you'll never, ever be able to run GBA code from Slot-1. Evidently theres no way to patch GBA games. And if you're bummed or out to prove me wrong, DO IT. After I see proof I'll shut up.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
Didnt imgod2222222222222222222222222222222(should i stop now?)222222222222222222222222222222(ok seriously...)22222
tongue.gif

just say that?

the ds can run GBA code from slot 2

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I heard you could play GBA games using the 3-in-1 accessory that goes in slot 2.
Yes. And it's cheap too
happy.gif

QUOTE(xcalibur798 @ Jul 10 2007, 09:32 PM)the ds can run GBA code from slot 2
But only in GBA mode, where it literally is a GBA (and doesn't "see" the extra hardware) and interprets the code directly.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Read the EZ5 review here, or just search it on google. It is fairly popular. Or just wait and I'll find one.

here's their announcement (old): link

Cocodrilo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sounds nice
smile.gif
But ... (sorry i've searched,didnt get any direct answer), does it exist a nds original version?

Oh, btw is it only for EZ flashcards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended