Lufagathrath

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
yet again post post after months since my last only to ask a question .....

This summer iv finality gotten myself a full time job , and im looking to buy a new tv for my room . Obviously it would have to be flat and wide screen. My budget allows for anything with in a $1100 - $1250 price range.
Its going to be for gaming generally , so it would have to have a decent resolution. ( i shall not mention which system im useing for i do not want to start a war ).

What are your guys suggestions ? , what should i look for and want in a hdtv.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh my god, he's using a Playstation 3, KILL HIM!

Actually, do mention what consoles you'll be using, we don't care.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If your console is *cough*blurayplayer*cough*, get Full HD TV, they tend to me a little bit more expensive, but BD movies in 1080p should be rewarding, given that you can find a 40" FullHDTV at $1250. (I'm staying away from game graphics because I don't wanna start a war either)

Otherwise, get something like 32~37" HDTV. They exactly fall in your budget, and generally useful until you decide to pump up to 55" Full HDTV.
And you'd probably know, but Samsung and Sony LCD TVs have the same panel produced in same factory, so go for whichever is cheaper.

P.S. I'm also buying a TV for my omgblurayplayerconsolewtf, I'm pretty much set on 37"+ FullHDTV. People say you wouldn't tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p in 40"- TVs, I'll have to go out and see it myself. If 37" really yields no difference, I'd loan money from my parents and go for the bigger one.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Buying new TVs is not something friends and I do on a regular basis so models are out of the question.

Still,
HD or no HD. If just for TV then I say forget about it, I have not had the joy of Canadian TV lately but a quick search says offerings are meagre at best. Consoles: you could tempt me but I have a monitor so maybe not. "HD" discs in my opinion are much like laser discs: too small to worry about/ a fad.
If you do go "HD" though make sure it is a 1080p (p=progressive), some cheapo HD makers max out at 720p which is no good. Alongside this make sure it has HDMI connectors and supports HDCP (once again early/cheap makers skimp on this).

Flat screen: anything but plasma, you will want to check viewing angle (do so in a shop if you can as numbers lie and can be misrepresented (is it 70 degrees to normal or 70 degrees total)

Widescreen: wide is good, ultrawide maybe not for a TV. Check it has a nice way of reducing screen size for 4:3 feeds as well (a TV I saw recently added light grey bars to the sides of the screen presumably to "match the case"). Panorama stretches screen edges so try that mode as well.

Input ports: check it has a few nice ones: I would kill for 2 more scart inputs on some of the TVs around here.

Picture quality: ghosting and latency can be nasty on otherwise decent spec TVs, especially some of the lower top end (the unfortunate price range you find yourself in).

Extra crap: believe it or not wall brackets/a stand, a decent remote, an aerial upgrade can tack on another $200 easy to a purchase. Factor in for the fact that some of these devices can suck down some serious power which may frustrate things if you have a hifi, DVD player, consoles, VCR, cable/satellite........... in there as well.

Lufagathrath

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
well ill have to see what iv made by the end of the summer , maybe ill afford 1080p

iv seen no difference in quality when i use progressive scan with games on my ps2 ( god of war 2 , guitar hero, ect )

is it the same difference with 1080i / 1080p ?

for future means : please forgive my for my poor spelling slash grammar

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i=interlaced p=progressive, basically this has to do with the way the picture is displayed with the former generally being worse quality for a few things. For the PS2 and most other things it likely will not make any difference as you say. Games and various players are pushing it though which is seemingly what you are after.

The following link is a bit old but it works for explaining it, just ignore the last few paragraphs:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6361600-1.html

deathfisaro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It's hard to come by small PDP, and they aren't any cheaper than LCD for that size.
Interlaced is 30Hz, Progressive is 60Hz that's the only difference if the numbers (480,720,1080) are the same.
So for 1080i and 1080p, 1080i sends odd 540 lines(lines 1,3,5 up to 1079) first 1/60 second, and sends even 540 lines (2,4,6, to 1080) on the second 1/60 second and repeats. 1080p sends 1080 lines every 1/60 second.

If the source is 1080i, upscaling it to 1080p doesn't do shit, it shoots 1080 lines 1/60 sec, but 540 of those are from 1/60 second ago meaning you are seeing same half screen twice all the time. LCD,PDP TVs are progressive by nature so they'll do this behavior.

Some people see the difference, some people don't (For example, I was playing Counter Strike and my frames per second (fps) was like 50+-, my roommate came over and said my screen was popping. I couldn't tell the difference between 50Hz and 60Hz of Counter Strike)

And apparantly, I know a person who refunded his Sharp Aquos 37" Full HDTV after playing PS3 game on PS3 and then PS2 game on PS2. PS2 and Full HDTV don't go together, you'll think the TV is malfunctioning.

And HDTV signals (like cable TV) aren't that clear. I was watching Discovery Channel HD on Sony 40" Bravia in Sony Store, such pixelated crap. Can't believe they charge you extra for crappy HD signals.

Long story short, seeing is believing. Check out your nearby Future Shop, Best Buy, Sony Store, whatever else is around you.
Luckily, there are enough shops near Vancouver I'm looking around various places till 11~14th (I'm gonna have to fix my mind on certain product by then)

jimmy j

Awesome for hire.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Almost everybody I asked agreed that Samsung make the best HD screens.

*edit*
Very dark blacks and bright whites combine to give very vivid picture quality. A lot of the tvs I looked at have a washed-out grey look in dark scenes (an major issue when watching lotr trilogy, for example)

Lufagathrath

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Long story short, seeing is believing. Check out your nearby Future Shop, Best Buy, Sony Store, whatever else is around you.
Luckily, there are enough shops near Vancouver I'm looking around various places till 11~14th (I'm gonna have to fix my mind on certain product by then)

your in Vancouver?
rofl2.gif
I'm on Vancouver island ( Campbell river ). That only like ...6 hours away
tongue.gif

Tell me if you find anything good , i might just drive over a get the same one as you.

deathfisaro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
LOL sweet
I'll probably buy from Futureshop, BestBuy or directly from Sony Store. I'll let you know if I find decent (and good price)

Last time I went to future shop, the guy apparently gets commision for TVs sold and he said he'll give me discount if I buy at that moment. I didn't do much research back then so I was suspicious about why he was so eager to sell it quick. It was high 4x" Sony LCD, don't think it was Full HD though.
If that guy's still there I'm gonna bargain with him to see what price I get. I never knew store workers could do such thing. But anyway, you should try your local seller's workers.

deathfisaro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I loaned money from my parents, went to Costco and bought 42" Sharp Aquos. I'm glad I rented an SUV, it just fit in there.

Anyways, Sharp is very conscious about their reputation, so they produce high end models, higher resolution and fast response time (of course high price somewhat naturally follows as well)

My model is LC42D62U, which has 6ms response time, there's LC42D72U which is same size screen but has better contrast ratio and 4ms response time. (I'm not aware of other differences, but are you willing to spend $200 for those 2 upgrades? Some people sure do)

To compare this with Sony, Samsung 40" panels this is about $100 more expensive considering this is 42". (IMO, 42"-40"-37" each gap is about $100 worth if other specs are the same) Absolute money wise, Aquos IS expensive, but I have to say it's worth the buck.

Futureshop is currently having a promotion on 62U, http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...ogon=&langid=EN
If you can't get it before sale ends (July 26th) try Costco for $1899.99 (of course plus tax and crap) I wouldn't get it for anything over $2k though, $1999.99 is like the final line of defense.

Basically, I did go through some time consuming tweaking to make the screen suit for me, it tends to get dark when there are a lot of black things on screen (for example PS3 XMB at night) by setting minimum OPC level to 0 fixed it. (Didn't have problem except PS3 XMB at night, wathcing a dark night scene in the movie was represented fine)

I rented and watched Ghost Rider on DVD (Not BD, this movie isn't worth buying =P) and I was satisfied, can't wait for 300 BD.

I know I pushed you way overbudget, but man I got a loan too, and I think it was the right move. 40~42" is the current borderline of "price jump" companies now have the technology to produce 40~42" LCD at similar price per pixel as smaller size panels, go above 42" to say 46" you see a gigantic price jump (well, gigantic screen size jump too but that's not the point)

I know some guys who play PS3 on 2x" CRT. I see no problem with that. I'm sort of an AV maniac, I got two sets of 7.1 channel speaker systems, and I really really wanted a TV to match the audio, now I do and hope this TV last decades, I can afford $100 per year for some good visual.

I will probably buy 300 BD, but other BDs like Underworld will have to wait till I pay off some chunk of my loan.

Oh wow I suck at organizing, must be the sugar kicking in I shouldn't have written this much =P

I'm going downtown to buy used God of War 2, let me see how upscaled 480p(PS2) looks on my TV.

P.S. Don't force yourself to limiting choices, bigger isn't always better. Take into account distance from sofa (or where your main place of TV related entertainments take place) to TV, close distance and big TV can and will hurt you. Consider lighting around the TV, LCD TVs look good under bright environment. Only if picking a TV was as easy as picking a console.

P.S.2. Avoid HD "built-in" TVs, it's better to have HD decoders do the decoding, and they can easily be upgraded at less cost than buying a new TV. HD "ready" TVs are better choice. I'm not sure wether they got rid of the difference some point, but if they haven't HD ready FTW.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/2byHyqiZVS8?si=Qr7te3eS9u0xQYDh