Kupo
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, just wanted to share my thoughts on the supercard lite since I finally got around to playing with it last night....first lets review the goal. Goal is to have a simple device that my girlfriend can use on her pink DS without issues and to run solely DS games and homebrew.....and the other one for me will be used in my FF3 crystal edition ds (assuming I can get one)....I will still be keeping my g6 lite for my navy blue ds. Now, onto the impressions in bullet points.

1) The unit is well built for sure, the plastic is sturdy and despite the resistance going in the gba slot coming in and out, it remains unscathed, I'm pleased with this.

2) Everyone talks about how hard it is to take out the sc lite once it's inside. I was kind of skeptical of buying the card due to this matter (amongst others) but I was pleansantly surprised once again. On both DS's that I tried the cards with (both the enamel navy and the noble pink), the card was rather firm going in the slot. When taking the card out, if you follow instructions and lift the left side first with your finger nails and alternate pulling the left and right side of the sc lite, it comes out without too much problems. Once again, no complaints from me, a tight fit is better than a loose fit.

3) Unfortunately the microsd slot is not spring loaded, so it may not be as secure as people would like it. But I can assure anyone that the chances of a microsd card falling out of the sc lite card is nil unless you drop your ds or give it a real good impact on one side to shoot the transflash card out the slot..and once again this is conjecture...because it seems fairly firm while inserted. But it's definitely not hard to take out with the front loading.....in fact I like this about the SC Lite since it does not involve me prying away like I do @ the SD Card adapter to get the microsd to come out of it.

4) It wasn't completely flush until I gave it some real force but then it seems to wiggle itself out a bit afterwards. It's really not an issue at all...the device has no problem being advertised as being completely flush. It does not have the factory dust cover's flushness but it's definitely well designed cosmetically to remain invisible (on a white ds)...and the whole lack of clear coat makes basically no difference....but that's a personal opinion, I guess if you like feeling the smoothness of the ds lite and must have the whole ds smooth inside and out...then it might not be your cup of tea. (Then again I don't know of any device that employs a clearcoat as of yet)

5) Operation wise the supercard is a breeze if you do a little homework. The firmware is easy as hell to upgrade (I did from 1.62-1.63) and the software it comes with is easy as hell to learn as well. All the compatibility settings are @ www.dualscene.net so there's really no mystery. I was happy with this as well.

6) I tried 30 games out my gf's ds on the Ultra II Sandisk 1gig card and they all ran flawlessly as far as I can tell. Even Super Mario Kart soft resets which was a pleasant surprise since that's always been an issue with the g6/g6 lite. The menu is simple and easy to use if you've organized your games properly (I used seperate folders) and best of all....it is damn fast. I was really surprised with this. G6 guys are going to flame me but in my opinion, the SC Lite definitely runs faster than the g6 from my observation....I've been using g6 for the past year or so....just to give some background. The games load ridiculously fast and they run extremely well. I did a quick test to watch FF3 opening on both the SC Lite and the G6 Lite and they both ran flawlessly (I don't know how well of a test that is....but it definitely was identical except the SC Lite starts and executes much faster).

7) I gave the latest Moonshell beta a quick run after all this and once again with the simple installation interface....it installed flawlessly onto the microsd card itself and I didn't have to patch anything with the included patcher.

Overall I am very pleased with the supercard lite and am convinced that it's a better alternative over the g6 if we're talking about NDS support alone. Before anyone jumps and screams, I do not care about GBA compatibility. I have 2 ezflash II's for that and everything works fine on my GB SP. I didn't really buy a DS to play gba games nehow. I hope this helps some people in making a decision on the sc lite. It's really a nice product for the money and I would of paid twice as much for this device to tell the truth. Cheers to the SC team.

CatScam

ScamaRama!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Very nice review.
In my opinion the most important thing in a card is.

1. Compatibility
2. Ease of use
3. Speed
4. Price
5. Storage

And the Supercard so far is the best at all the above excluding
GBA Compatibility. But who really plays that much GBA anyway.
wink.gif

rkenshin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
GBA still has great games and shouldn't be ignored..

Gotta love DS fanboys dissing another Nintendo product..

And here I thought that the PSP 1.50 vs other firmwares war was ridiculous..

tama_mog

Kupo
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No one is dissing gba rkenshin, perhaps you should be less sensitive on the matter. I'm sure a good # of people that got into the ds and flashcart already had prior experience in gba flashcarts....the newcomers most likely won't opt to play gba games (maybe rarely) because if they're a newcomer to a DS, chances are they're not going to jump back to gba games, they're just new customers of Nintendo and wants to play the greatest and the latest. Same logic applies to the new generation gamers that started playing on a psx....you show them a Nintendo and they will cry to no end. In addition, most great gba titles are or will soon be upgraded with the ds version of the same game....and naturally the ds versions are all better or just as good normally (of course this is subjective but Nintendo+gamedevs aren't out to make games worse and worse [though it happens @ times]). GBA has some awesome titles, anyone that had a gba can attest to this but most likely, people did not buy a DS to play their gba games...it's convenient that it's compatible, but certainly does not constitute the main goal of the purchase. PSP firmware war? that's hardly the same....that's more or less the non-pirates vs pirates/homebrewers and debate all the exploits thus far ultimately leads to one direction.....booting isos and bypassing sony's firmware security. For example, no person with 2.71+ is going to say to a 1.5 person haha, I get to play this game because I'm on this firmware and you only have 1.5......because that'd just make him look ignorant for not knowing devhook.

goretech

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am fairly new to the handhelds or consoles for that matter. I've always stuck to my PC as it was always better for me. But I did buy a DS lite and looking for a cart. I really only need GBA support for maybe 10 games. Like all the Marios, 1, 2, 3, 4 and sonic. So if supercard can do those then no reason for me not to get one.

Now my other question is SC Lite upgraded its hardware and is alot faster. Will M3 Lite do the same or are they already fast? Just seems wierd they could increase performance so much in the lite version.

rkenshin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No one is dissing gba rkenshin, perhaps you should be less sensitive on the matter. I'm sure a good # of people that got into the ds and flashcart already had prior experience in gba flashcarts....the newcomers most likely won't opt to play gba games (maybe rarely) because if they're a newcomer to a DS, chances are they're not going to jump back to gba games, they're just new customers of Nintendo and wants to play the greatest and the latest. Same logic applies to the new generation gamers that started playing on a psx....you show them a Nintendo and they will cry to no end. In addition, most great gba titles are or will soon be upgraded with the ds version of the same game....and naturally the ds versions are all better or just as good normally (of course this is subjective but Nintendo+gamedevs aren't out to make games worse and worse [though it happens @ times]). GBA has some awesome titles, anyone that had a gba can attest to this but most likely, people did not buy a DS to play their gba games...it's convenient that it's compatible, but certainly does not constitute the main goal of the purchase. PSP firmware war? that's hardly the same....that's more or less the non-pirates vs pirates/homebrewers and debate all the exploits thus far ultimately leads to one direction.....booting isos and bypassing sony's firmware security. For example, no person with 2.71+ is going to say to a 1.5 person haha, I get to play this game because I'm on this firmware and you only have 1.5......because that'd just make him look ignorant for not knowing devhook.

I was referring to catscam's remark that GBA doesn't matter much.. God I hate it when people say that..

Obviously the main reason to get a DS is for DS games, but it's also a reason to get it so not to lug multiple systems around in your pocket that literally does the same thing but one has more functionality over the other.

Plus with emulators able to run GB/GBC games running on the DS, a GBA SP is a thing of the past..

And besides, you're pirating a system with access to not just one library of games but a few more too.. It's like saying a 1.5 PSPer doesn't use their PSP for nothing but devhook and maybe a few PC-like apps..

And as for the PSP firmware war.. It's more of a morallity issue and the lack of wanting to do homebrew which is the basis of every Upgraders argument.. They know what a 1.5 can do perfectly fine, they just want their PSP legal and less work in getting new applications to work (ie. they're lazy to seek out homebrew updates and the time to manage all that stuff is a waste of time in their opinion)

rkenshin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I am fairly new to the handhelds or consoles for that matter. I've always stuck to my PC as it was always better for me. But I did buy a DS lite and looking for a cart. I really only need GBA support for maybe 10 games. Like all the Marios, 1, 2, 3, 4 and sonic. So if supercard can do those then no reason for me not to get one.

Now my other question is SC Lite upgraded its hardware and is alot faster. Will M3 Lite do the same or are they already fast? Just seems wierd they could increase performance so much in the lite version.

They increased performance for the Lite version because they used a better ram chip that's pretty much the main reason for the slowdowns..

Other reasons would be on how you would go around patching a GBA rom through the SC Patcher.. Certain patching methods do eliminate slowdown entirely or enough to make it not as noticable..

tama_mog

Kupo
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
agreed, but I guess it's just me that uses my 1.5's for some small homebrew like pspradio, irshell, and mostly just devhook and some harley g's heh. Still love the ds more.

Gortech:

No idea, I started using a supercard with the lite version and the only other 2 types of devices I've used with the DS = the G6 3rd gen and the m3.....so it's plausible m3 might employ some improvements and efficiencies....anything's possible....but it's pure conjecture until it gets released (I think on the 30th according to realhotstuff).

CatScam

ScamaRama!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rkenshin, why your getting your panties in a bunch is beyond me, didn’t you see
the winking smiley at the end, It was a joke! Although out of the 8 people I know
that have M3’s & SC’s only one has a few GBA games on her card.

And your PSP firmware comparison is like apples & oranges, firmware is free.
You have to pay good money for these carts, so knowing their pros & cons is a
good thing. New problems are revealed every day from the Crack in the white DS.
To G6 ram getting corrupted to M3’s poor SD-cards slot to SC’s GBA compatibility
problem.

As long as these pros & cons are true & not just lies & rumors. They do nothing but
help everyone avoid surprises & make it easier to order what you want.

FifthE1ement

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am fairly new to the handhelds or consoles for that matter. I've always stuck to my PC as it was always better for me.  But I did buy a DS lite and looking for a cart. I really only need GBA support for maybe 10 games. Like all the Marios, 1, 2, 3, 4 and sonic. So if supercard can do those then no reason for me not to get one.

They increased performance for the Lite version because they used a better ram chip that's pretty much the main reason for the slowdowns..

Other reasons would be on how you would go around patching a GBA rom through the SC Patcher.. Certain patching methods do eliminate slowdown entirely or enough to make it not as noticable..

Lol, the SuperCard Lite's improvements didn’t come from an enhanced RAM chip as they are using the same RAM as in the miniSD/SD models. The changes that were made to improve the SuperCard Lite's DS performance were to the microSD PCB memory bus going to the SuperCard PCB and then to the DS RAM. The memory bandwidth is much faster than previous versions which allows for quick GBA saves and loads that are twice as fast as previous models and near instant DS game starts from the menu.

This improved memory bus also allows for data to be streamed to the DS's RAM much faster than any other flashcart, and is comparable to if not better than the G6 Lite, when using high speed microSD. The RAM chip in the SuperCard Lite does improve GBA but only because of the enhanced bandwidth which removes some of the slowdown found on previous SuperCard models.

FifthE1ement
yaynds.gif

rkenshin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rkenshin, why your getting your panties in a bunch is beyond me, didn’t you see
the winking smiley at the end, It was a joke! Although out of the 8 people I know
that have M3’s & SC’s only one has a few GBA games on her card.

And your PSP firmware comparison is like apples & oranges, firmware is free.
You have to pay good money for these carts, so knowing their pros & cons is a
good thing. New problems are revealed every day from the Crack in the white DS.
To G6 ram getting corrupted to M3’s poor SD-cards slot to SC’s GBA compatibility
problem.

As long as these pros & cons are true & not just lies & rumors. They do nothing but
help everyone avoid surprises & make it easier to order what you want.

Firmware is free but for the PSP there's no going back in a normal fashion which you CAN do with regular flashcarts (ie. rolling back to a previous version without jumping through a 100 feet hurdle)

tama_mog

Kupo
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you're talking about the people that have 2.71+ or a ta-082 2.6+ (soon 2.5 downgrader will most likely be out for the ta-082s).....downgraders are easy as hell to use with the prepackages and all.....not exactly a big hurdle. Wait a sec.....why are we talking about psps on my supercard opinion thread. =P

rkenshin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well trust me, it's a huge hurdle when you happen to go on newbie places like PSPUpdates or GameFAQs that either give you an incomplete downgrader or just starts flaming you for going back to 1.5 then a firmware war thread begins
tongue.gif

Just pointing out the differences/difficulty between the two..

Rolling back is definately much easier on a Flashcart in case something is broken in a recently released update.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse