Edit read on for some info below but a quick link list:
Specs:
http://loveemu.yh.land.to/page/NDS/SDAT.html
http://kiwi.ds.googlepages.com/sdat.html

Preferred tool for ripping: ndsdnsext
http://nintendon.s6.xrea.com/
Second link down on the left or ??????

Original post:

As the topic says some people have worked at reverse engineering the sound files of the DS and have got reasonably far in doing so.

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/loveemu/20060114

The original site gives me a SQL error but you can download the tool here: http://djbouche.net/dl/sdattool0.32.rar
The original site: http://djbouche.net/sdat!sdattool (google has it cached)

Oh and for those that care Tony Hawks A.S. uses STRM so a custom sound track should be almost trivial and could probably even be done with a batch file and a few tools.

QUOTE(http://d.hatena.ne.jp/loveemu/20060114) said:
    Hello loveemu,

I'm just informing you that I started a new utility called sdattool.

It's main purpose is to generate an SMAP file, similar to the one I have attached in this e-mail which was found with the SDAT file in the game Zoids Genesis DS. It has proven a very useful file in the reverse engineering of SDAT and it was nice of the game developers to [perhaps accidentally] leave it in there.
smile.gif

So far the utility reads the SYMB table in order to obtain the filenames for each file. It reads the INFO table in order to retrieve the main information necessary for the SMAP file. Finally it reads the FAT table (and as an option, like sseqrip, extracts the files from the FILE block into an organised set of folders and named using their symbols) and generates the FAT list for the SMAP file.

Hopefully by this we can get an even greater understanding of the files in the SDAT system.

Here is some interesting things I have noted:

SSEQ
        SEQ - Sequence - A converted MIDI sequence. Linked to a BANK for instruments.
    SSAR
        SEQARC - Sequence Archive - A collection of sequences (used mainly for sound effect banks, format is unknown, the entries look nothing like SSEQ at all...)
    SBNK
        BANK - Bank - A bank which is linked to up to 4 WAVEARCs which contain the samples. Define the instruments in which a sequence can use. (format still unknown)
    SWAR
        WAVEARC - Wave Archive - A collection of wave samples (which can be in either PCM or ADPCM compression)
    STRM
        STRM - Stream - An individual wave (PCM or ADPCM).
    GROUP
        I'm not quite sure.

My apologies, I was wrong about sseq2mid not converting Mario Kart DS correctly. There was something wrong with my MIDI sequencer. It works fine now. I am in the process of making a command line tool which allows you to specify a MIDI instrument/drum map and apply it to any standard MIDI file.

Feel free to post any of this information. Hope it helps!
wink.gif

Andrew

Now if you will excuse me this has just given me a lot of new stuff to play with now.

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Excellent stuff. I enjoy finding out about any developments in reverse engineering, now I'm gonna have a play too
smile.gif

Why didn't we hear about this earlier?
unsure.gif

Edit: Hmm, I only seem to be getting the SMAP file and nothing else - the text you quoted says it should output the specific files though, unless I'm mistaken.

Edit 2: Ahh nm I got it, forgot the -x parameter.
wink.gif

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Could someone give some guidance in how to make this work?
I've managed to get the ssdat file and converted it successfully. But what kind of programs do play those files?

After some research I found out something about 'sseq2mid', but I can't find it anywhere :/

Dirtie

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
By the way, what format did you use to get those Tony Hawk files sounding ok? The closest I got to anything was a faint background beat in amongst lots of static.

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've managed to get the ssdat file and converted it successfully. But what kind of programs do play those files?

After some research I found out something about 'sseq2mid', but I can't find it anywhere :/

After a quick search i found sseq2mid. it's part of ssequtil found here http://loveemu.yh.land.to/

just drag your sseq (you can select multiple) onto the sseq2mid.exe to convert em

By the way, what format did you use to get those Tony Hawk files sounding ok? The closest I got to anything was a faint background beat in amongst lots of static.

Which Tony Hawk files are you talking about? i'd like to check em out.
I assume you are talking about *.strm files i've had no luck getting anything but static too.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Too much static means you generally have sampled at too high a bitrate and given that they have 12 songs into a fairly small file (one song is normally 40 odd megs in uncompressed PCM wave at CD quality) it means they have likely used a very low bitrate. I will have to learn a bit more about audio before I can be of much more help though.

I have got the T.H.A.S. to play in media player by splicing a header from a standard PCM wave file over the intial few bytes (up to around about 7F offset).

Thanks for the links Zidapi by the way.

Edit:
Cool edit 200 plays California uber alles very slowly which means it may do a real time speed up (a good reason for slowdowns).

Dirtie

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I wasn't talking about media player, I was more referring to getting it to sound like something recognizable in Cool Edit or Audacity
tongue.gif

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

After a quick search i found sseq2mid. it's part of ssequtil found here http://loveemu.yh.land.to/

just drag your sseq (you can select multiple) onto the sseq2mid.exe to convert em

Danke! Works and im getting all the songs from nsmb atm
laugh.gif

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Too much static means you generally have sampled at too high a bitrate and given that they have 12 songs into a fairly small file (one song is normally 40 odd megs in uncompressed PCM wave at CD qualtity) it means they have likely used a very low bitrate. I will have to learn a bit more about audio before I can be of much more help though.

I have got the T.H.A.S. to play in media player by splicing a header from a standard PCM wave file over the intial few bytes (up to around about 7F offset).

Thanks for the links Zidapi by the way.

Will splicing the header in clean up the static? or just make it playable in media player?

I wasn't talking about media player, I was more referring to getting it to sound like something recognizable in Cool Edit or Audacity
tongue.gif
I've managed to clean up some pcm files mucking around with the default filters in Adobe Audition. I've had the best results when loading the pcm at a sample rate of 32000 and 8-bit resolution. If you have better luck with your progs let me know.

Like FAST6191 i don't know alot about audio so i'm just experimenting at the moment.

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
heheh no probs Killermech
biggrin.gif

With 400+ DS Dumped, my phone will be getting a slew of new ringtones and message tones this weekend
yaynds.gif

I'd be happy to upload Midi soundtrack compilations to somewhere like rapidshare for people after the weekend

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

dafatkid27

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a bunch Killermech, and that would be awesome if you do Zidapi. Let me know when you have uploaded the compilations.

By the way, don't use Rapidshare, I hate the waiting. Use sendspace.com.

Triforce

Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
Good work guys and thanks for uploading the .mids Killermech
wink.gif

BTW Angela Liu recored most of the songs from New Super Mario Bros and put an 80mb / 224kbps mp3 format zip on rapidshare about 2 days after the USA release. I think she just done a recording from the headphones out but it sounds alright.

If you lot want the mp3's you can get the rapidshare link on this forum http://www.altpop.com/stc/forums/viewtopic.php?id=681 thanks for all the nfo guys and enjoy
smile.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Guide to turning your soundfiles to mid.
You will need NDSTS
http://www.gbadat.altervista.org/tools.htm
You will need sdattool:
http://djbouche.net/dl/sdattool0.32.rar
You will need ssequti, grab it about 3/4 of the way down the page here:
http://loveemu.yh.land.to/

And obviously a rom. Only SSEQ files can be made into mid but this covers about 60% of the roms (and this is the very defintition of a conservative estimate).

Grab the .sdat file with NDSTS (you could also use NDSTool for this but this way is potentially easier.
Having got your shiny sound files (normally they are called sound_data.sdat and are located in an obvious directory name like sound) you will have to rip the sseq files from it.

Have sdattool.exe and your sound file in a directory
Use sdattool.exe with the following DOS command
Code:
sdattool -x sound_data.sdat
(obviously change the sound_data.sdat part if your soundfile is not called that)
Up should come a sound_data directory, in the sound_data\Seq directory hopefully is a bunch of .sseq files in it.
Extract ssequtil-20051122.rar to a directory and in the bin subfolder is a program called sseq2mid.exe. Drag some .sseq files onto it and in the directory the .sseq files came from should be some .mid files which you can play/copy/convert/whatever.

I will see if I can get a guide set up to other sorts of files but this should help a few people.

bryehn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i was waiting for tools like this.

will be really helpful in making rips too.

i would have settled for a simple sdat player.

really awesome...but now i'm gona waste a day messing with it.

EDIT: now if only we had something to decode the strm files too...

EDIT2: Trying to rip the animal crossing suff for my wife, and sseq2mid just spits out "error 38"...

any ideas?

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nice guide Fast and that's what I normally do Triforce, record them from the mic output to my comp that is
wink.gif

But mid extensions make them 'remix'friendly since you can mess around with the tunes and layers
laugh.gif

Maybe we could have a diff topic to list all the games we made to mid? So we wouldn't have to make some others already made, would make it alot easier for all of us.
I made four more to share so enjoy
smile.gif

Animal Crossing Wild World

Metroid Prime Pinball

Mario & Luigi - Partners in time

TetrisDS

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have the same problem... dragging and dropping the .sseq files into sseq2mid.exe won't do anything. Doing it via command prompt produces an '#error 38'. Anyone?

=(

Triforce

Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
I was going to rip some myself but im having a problem trying to leech ssequti. I can get on the site with googlecache but cant leech the tool. Even a download manager with 15 retries would'nt leech it. Could somone upload ssequti somewhere else ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb