AAlcoholic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello,

I've tried literally a dozen SD cards in my Wii from pitiful little 16MB cards to 1GB and 2GB to an SDHC 8GB (I'm on 4.0U via Wan's updater). Regardless what I do, I cannot write to the SD card because the Wii says my card is locked. I've checked and re-checked the switch/tab on the cards; I've electrical-taped over the card to further reinforce the tab thing; I've busted off the tab... nothing -- same stupid error.

Card *reading* is fine, it's just writing; which is annoying as I'd *really* like to do a NAND backup with bootmii, among other things now that i'm on 4.0 (my wii wasn't writing to the SDs in 3.2U either, for what it's worth).

Anyhow, I suppose the reader's bad, but I can't very well return it to Nin with the homebrew channel / cIOS on the thing.

Any ideas?

SublimeAndEtc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
steve-p said:
try to format a card in the wii.

If this doesn't work, you might be screwed
frown.gif

EDIT: "screwed" as in a hardware issue, but that doesn't seem right since you can read from the card... but formatting seems like it should do the trick

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't had this problem on my wii, but have on another card reader.

The read only / write is handled by a physical arm which is pushed against another when the inserted card has the switch in the unlock position.

I bent this lever a bit, and all is well.

Here are some pics... first shows the levers - not touching with no card inserted (same when locked). Second pic is an unlocked card inserted (they are touching). You'll have to disassemble your wii to get to it - but it should be a fairly easy fix.

AAlcoholic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
steve-p said:
try to format a card in the wii.

Feel like an idiot for asking, but WHERE is the format SD option in the Wii? Can't find it
blink.gif

QUOTE(SenorClean @ May 25 2009, 10:49 AM) I haven't had this problem on my wii, but have on another card reader.

The read only / write is handled by a physical arm which is pushed against another when the inserted card has the switch in the unlock position.

I bent this lever a bit, and all is well.

Here are some pics... first shows the levers - not touching with no card inserted (same when locked). Second pic is an unlocked card inserted (they are touching). You'll have to disassemble your wii to get to it - but it should be a fairly easy fix.

That's a great idea, assuming the formatting via Wii doesn't work... Thanks
yay.gif
! Hard to tell in your pic, though -- did you bend the inner lever out or the outer lever in; and did you bend once the card was in the slot, or beforehand. I'm assuming that once it's bent you can still insert and remove the card at will -- and the 'fix' is permanent?

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
I put the card in first, and just watched - I observed that the levers didn't touch.

I bent the outer one in a bit, with the card out - then inserted the card to test.

Mine was a bit borderline - it worked with some cards (with big fat lock switches) but not with some others).

Be careful, and I'm sure you'll be fine. So long as you don't snap it off - worst case is you push it too far and your cards are always unlocked.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
and if all else fails and you want to send it away, you can easily delete cIOS with any title deleter, then delete homebrew channel.

and send it away.

and of course anything else illegally gained on it XD

it'll just be annoying putting everything back on it when it returns
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Wlak like a Wlaker