• Replies 1,572

OSW

Wii King
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I know that the system menu is a title on the wii. So can this title be unpacked, repacked and installed with no issues, just as with wiiware/vc titles?

If so, can we use wwpacker 16 to change the system menu IOS to249 and install it permanently?
If not, is there another way to patch the system menu wad to run off IOS 249 and then install it?

Also, is it the recovery menu (savemiifrii) built into the system menu?

If the answer to both those is yes, can we then use the recovery menu to boot autoboot backup discs without a modchip?

smileipb2.png
or
frown.gif
?

D

Deleted User

hmmm interesting...
I guess you could try copying the system menu, but it may have some copy protection on it or something?
But if you can copy it, edit it to run off IOS249 and you try to reinstall it, it may cause bricks. I would actually say it would have a high chance of causing a brick.
But if anyone is willing to try it...

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I guess monday we'll found out, I bought a f**ck up wii wich aparently freezes every 5 min, so no worries if it bricks...!!!
biggrin.gif

OSW

Wii King
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
If anyone tries it out, I found a tool that is very easy to patch the wad with. In fact it was designed for system menu IOS patching (patches other wads too)
Just extract the archive and drag the system menu wad onto wadpatch.exe. Then you could install the patched wad with wad manager.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?xgwgiyhandd

Source: http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_-TOOL--WiiS...dpatcher_995672

Apparantly it it resigns the wad with the trucha bug, but i think that should be a non issue as long as you're on 3.2 or lower. And make sure that cIOS 249 is installed or u get a definite brick.

I'm not encouraging anyone to try this though, in fact i don't want anyone to brick their wiis so i take no responsibility lol.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
don't worry, as I said, I actually only bought it to try this kind of things, actually I want it to talk to WiiPower so he create a dip patcher for either the IOS30 (obviously the idea was throw by the toilet, when somebody delete his IOS30 and got a complete unrepairable even for "N" Wii) or the SysMenu.wad, but this seems much more easier...!!!
biggrin.gif

OSW

Wii King
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
If u do get to try it make sure wii doesnt freeze half way through the install lol.

We need some wii gurus like wiipower, maybe they'll know if this will be safe.

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well i used the program above to patch the system menu wad to IOS249 it patched it ok, But i'm not going to install it, just wanted to see if it would patch it, and it does. AnyOne want to test it.lol
I'm almost tempted to install it myself.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'll wait then, I mean, I first want to repair it (or try) I don't really know why does it freeze 'cuz I don't have it in my hands yet, but in the mean while I'll do my homework, like this:

1) I extracted IOS30 from my Wii and there is only the 00000011.app, and I think that is a huge diference from IOS36 (base of cIOS249), and here is the packing
IOS30.jpg

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well guys after sweating it out, I first tried patching a vc game to IOS249 just to see if the whole process would work, and it did, So even after giving it some thought i patch a 3.2u system menu.wad to run off of IOS249 and with good news, IT WORKED!!!!haaaaaaaa i just used the program wad packer above ran it though CMD prompt and patch the system menu wad to 249 thats it.

Well now that i have a SYSTEM MENU running off of IOS249 what benfits do i have?

Tichinde925

Marth Ditto Money Match?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WiiBlaster said:
Well guys after sweating it out, I first tried patching a vc game to IOS249 just to see if the whole process would work, and it did, So even after giving it some thought i patch a 3.2u system menu.wad to run off of IOS249 and with good news, IT WORKED!!!!haaaaaaaa i just used the program wad packer above ran it though CMD prompt and patch the system menu wad to 249 thats it.

The question is....did you install it? (It doesnt say "install" anywhere in that post)

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes i installed it I knew the risk, but i dont notice anything different what apost to be different?
acouple of my VC games no longer but that could be do to the fact that Starfall was removed, Hell i'm now scared to even install starfall on this system menu, any ideas

D

Deleted User

good results.
So do games load directly from the disc channel now? or do you still need backup loaders?

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no its not running IOS30 anymore i double checked it in the Wad Packer program to make sure it wasn't and no it doesn't boot Backups

D

Deleted User

thats strange.
cios r7 is installed in IOS249, correct?
If so wouldn't that mean that games would be loaded directly from the disc channel (or does this require seperate patching of the disc channel?)

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All i can say is that its definitely running off of IOS249 and i notice no difference at all nothing.

Posts merged

wait I just stuck in wii music burned and it now asking for a update let me install starfall real quick and i'll see it will play

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM