System Menu questions/thoughts

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by OSW, Jan 4, 2009.

Jan 4, 2009

System Menu questions/thoughts by OSW at 4:54 AM (117,824 Views / 0 Likes) 1,572 replies

1. OSW
    OP

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    I know that the system menu is a title on the wii. So can this title be unpacked, repacked and installed with no issues, just as with wiiware/vc titles?

If so, can we use wwpacker 16 to change the system menu IOS to249 and install it permanently?
    If not, is there another way to patch the system menu wad to run off IOS 249 and then install it?

Also, is it the recovery menu (savemiifrii) built into the system menu?

If the answer to both those is yes, can we then use the recovery menu to boot autoboot backup discs without a modchip?

[​IMG] or [​IMG] ?

2. dnmn8r

Member dnmn8r GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    hmmm interesting...
    I guess you could try copying the system menu, but it may have some copy protection on it or something?
    But if you can copy it, edit it to run off IOS249 and you try to reinstall it, it may cause bricks. I would actually say it would have a high chance of causing a brick.
    But if anyone is willing to try it...

3. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    I guess monday we'll found out, I bought a f**ck up wii wich aparently freezes every 5 min, so no worries if it bricks...!!! [​IMG]

4. OSW
    OP

Australia
    If anyone tries it out, I found a tool that is very easy to patch the wad with. In fact it was designed for system menu IOS patching (patches other wads too)
    Just extract the archive and drag the system menu wad onto wadpatch.exe. Then you could install the patched wad with wad manager.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?xgwgiyhandd

Source: http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_-TOOL--WiiS...dpatcher_995672

Apparantly it it resigns the wad with the trucha bug, but i think that should be a non issue as long as you're on 3.2 or lower. And make sure that cIOS 249 is installed or u get a definite brick.

I'm not encouraging anyone to try this though, in fact i don't want anyone to brick their wiis so i take no responsibility lol.

5. ether2802

Mexico
    don't worry, as I said, I actually only bought it to try this kind of things, actually I want it to talk to WiiPower so he create a dip patcher for either the IOS30 (obviously the idea was throw by the toilet, when somebody delete his IOS30 and got a complete unrepairable even for "N" Wii) or the SysMenu.wad, but this seems much more easier...!!! [​IMG]

6. WiiBlaster

Member WiiBlaster GBAtemp Maniac

United States
  7. ether2802

Mexico
    I'll try to buy an infectus, altough I don't know a bean of coding...!!! [​IMG]

8. OSW
    OP

Australia
    If u do get to try it make sure wii doesnt freeze half way through the install lol.

We need some wii gurus like wiipower, maybe they'll know if this will be safe.

9. WiiBlaster

United States
    well i used the program above to patch the system menu wad to IOS249 it patched it ok, But i'm not going to install it, just wanted to see if it would patch it, and it does. AnyOne want to test it.lol
    I'm almost tempted to install it myself.

10. ether2802

Mexico
    I'll wait then, I mean, I first want to repair it (or try) I don't really know why does it freeze 'cuz I don't have it in my hands yet, but in the mean while I'll do my homework, like this:

1) I extracted IOS30 from my Wii and there is only the 00000011.app, and I think that is a huge diference from IOS36 (base of cIOS249), and here is the packing
    [​IMG]

11. ether2802

Mexico
    tomorrow I'll do the ios36 to see the diference, I'm off to bed now...!!! [​IMG]

12. WiiBlaster

United States
    Well guys after sweating it out, I first tried patching a vc game to IOS249 just to see if the whole process would work, and it did, So even after giving it some thought i patch a 3.2u system menu.wad to run off of IOS249 and with good news, IT WORKED!!!!haaaaaaaa i just used the program wad packer above ran it though CMD prompt and patch the system menu wad to 249 thats it.

Well now that i have a SYSTEM MENU running off of IOS249 what benfits do i have?

13. Tichinde925

Member Tichinde925 Marth Ditto Money Match?

United States
    The question is....did you install it? (It doesnt say "install" anywhere in that post)

14. WiiBlaster

United States
    yes i installed it I knew the risk, but i dont notice anything different what apost to be different?
    acouple of my VC games no longer but that could be do to the fact that Starfall was removed, Hell i'm now scared to even install starfall on this system menu, any ideas

15. Tichinde925

United States
    You try putting in a backup disc to see if the menu would see it?

Perhaps its still using IOS30.

Since you patched it to IOS249, would there be any risk at all to removing IOS30? (Just pondering)

16. dnmn8r

Australia
    good results.
    So do games load directly from the disc channel now? or do you still need backup loaders?

17. WiiBlaster

United States
    no its not running IOS30 anymore i double checked it in the Wad Packer program to make sure it wasn't and no it doesn't boot Backups

18. dnmn8r

Australia
    thats strange.
    cios r7 is installed in IOS249, correct?
    If so wouldn't that mean that games would be loaded directly from the disc channel (or does this require seperate patching of the disc channel?)

19. WiiBlaster

United States
    All i can say is that its definitely running off of IOS249 and i notice no difference at all nothing.

Posts merged

wait I just stuck in wii music burned and it now asking for a update let me install starfall real quick and i'll see it will play

20. Tichinde925

United States
    Is starfall still working?

Because touching the System Menu / updating / etc... causes it to be uninstalled.

Try Reinstalling Starfall!