Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
essentialgames.png
GBAtemp Recommends! Another World
G.R. Issue #11 (GBA)

This week we deviate from the expected into "Another World," a sci-fi adventure platformer never officially released for the GBA.

Welcome to the eleventh issue of GBATemp Recommends! - a weekly magazine feature in which we share our favourite Game Boy Advance titles. The games we recommend may be top titles from the GBA library, a homebrew, or they may be sleeper hits that flew by the radar, but one thing's certain, they're all fantastic games that deserve your play time!

GBAtemp Recommends!

Another World
aw-1.jpg
aw-3.jpg
aw-4.jpg

Another World was conceived by Eric Chahi in August of 1989. Chahi’s designs incorporated Rotoscope captured polygon layered vector graphics which used less space and allowed for more frames of animation per second. Considered 10 years before its time, Another World was criticized for its ability to be stored on a single floppy disk. Game designers assumed it would lack potential by using newly developed untested coding and design elements.

Unique to Chahi's vision the in-game animations and cut scenes unfold cinematically. Visuals are further entwined by mood enhancing expressions, sounds, and vague ominous background settings. Lacking a heads-up-display and providing only one life, the player must solve synchronized puzzles to advance. While the game is considered short, replay value is high due to the overwhelming amount of graphical details.

Originally designed on the Amiga computer this game was ported to various systems first by Delphine Software and later by Interplay. Cyril Corgordan [2004] was responsible for reverse engineering the Atari ST version, which was recompiled and remastered for the GBA. Chahi originally decided “to ban its release in order to make a potential business, but specially authorized its distribution later.”

Another World has been celebrated as an underrated influential landmark video game. Virtually missed by homebrew hobbyists, this GBA version is a legally sanctioned well polished retrospective of Chahi's work.

For more information, from concept to design, please visit Eric Chahi’s official homepage (linked at the bottom).

Game Synopsis from IGN said:
This game places the player in the role of Lester Chaykin, a young nuclear scientist. When an experiment goes badly wrong, Lester finds himself transported to Another World -- a strange, desolate and very alien land. Now Lester has to try to survive and find some way -- any way -- back home. Explore this strange world and make friends in the most unexpected places in this now-classic title.
[tv]111084-260[/tv]​

[tv]111084-261[/tv]​

Genre: Adventure/Platformer
Publisher: Foxy's Softs [Cyril Corgordan]
Release Date: 28/04/2005
ROM Size: 15.28Mbit

icon11.gif
Official Hompage (English)
download.gif
Download
c171.gif
Game Profile at IGN
controller.png
Official GBAtemp Recommends! Mini-Page & History
discuss.png
Discuss

ConJ

The Toker
Trophies
Website
xat.com
XP
Country
Excellent game! I used to play this for hours on my Amiga. I remember being totally blown away by the graphics. If you havnt played this yet, then pick it up,

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've yet to complete this, and I've been trying since I first had it on the Amiga so many years ago. An excellent game and the inspiration to "Flashback" & "Blackthorne" (both I'll be lobbying to be future GBAtemp recommends).

I really hope that one day someone will port the sequel "Heart of the Alien" which has only ever been on the Sega CD/Mega CD console. In that game you play as the alien, Buddy.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This was a very popular game in the early 90's for pc but I don't remember ever finishing it. I vaguely remember the intro. It fit on one floppy so it was very easy to pirate
tongue.gif

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Surprised i have missed this.
The graphics must have been top-notch back then. Even now for the GBA.
Nowadays, the graphics see like a shovelware DS game
tongue.gif

Anyways, gameplay seems fun. If you touch anything, you die. Just run and jump. Ill be sure to try it out.

throck

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hadrian Uranium said:
I've yet to complete this, and I've been trying since I first had it on the Amiga so many years ago. An excellent game and the inspiration to "Flashback" & "Blackthorne" (both I'll be lobbying to be future GBAtemp recommends).

Flashback was never released on the GBA (much to my chagrin). A sequel/remake/reboot was developed, but never released, under the title "Flashback Legends." The gameplay and story are completely different, and only a beta has ever found its way into the wild.

A couple attempts have been made to port it to the NDS: Flashback DS and REminiscenceDS, neither of which has been updated in over a year. Flashback DS is kind of buggy with the sound, while REminiscenceDS is pretty full-featured (even allowing for SegaCD speech files).

Still, I wish someone had made a GBA version.

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
There's also recently been a re-release of the game for windows with improved graphics (which can be turned on and off) as well as the ability to change the game's resolution, although it looks kinda shitty in higher resolutions, since it makes all the characters look fat and makes everything look more artificial and static.

Personally, I liked the SNES version best. It has a few more screens than prior releases of the game (which is noteworthy since the whole game is short as hell), as well as some new kick-ass music which, as far as I know, didn't appear in any other versions of the game, including the recent re-release. The framerate sucked ass though.

[Truth]

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
damn this game is so fucking difficult.
this is real trial and error.
but it annoys if you have to redo the same sequences again and again because you don´t know what to do at a specific point.
i found a nice guide for the game:
*removed* (requested, sorry)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well, after a day of pain, i'm gonna catch some zs