Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
essentialgames.png
GBAtemp Recommends! MOTHER 3
G.R. Issue #3 (GBA)

How did you like Golden Sun? Good? Yeah, thought so.
This week we've got another RPG we think you'll love.

Welcome to the third issue of GBAtemp Recommends! - a weekly magazine feature in which we share our favorite Game Boy Advance titles. The games we recommend may be top titles from the GBA library, or they may be sleeper hits that missed the radar, but one thing's certain, they're all great games that are worthy of a play through!

This week, we're promoting MOTHER 3.
MOTHER 3 is a unique, quirky RPG with a golden story. Though never released on Western shores, MOTHER 3 is a favorite among many RPG players.
It's the third in the series (the sequel to the somewhat popular EarthBound that was released for the SNES).

You can check out Starmen.net's MOTHER 3 information page for a ton more of information about the game.

Recently, a translation group from Starmen.net translated the game from the Japanese language into English.
Grab the patch at the MOTHER 3 Official Translation website.
Also check out their awesome MOTHER 3 Handbook guide that's available for pre-order! That's some of the best looking MOTHER 3 goodness you'll ever see.

GBAtemp Recommends!

MOTHER 3
Mother3Title.png
Mother3Screenshot.png

About the Game said:
MOTHER 3, the follow up to the fan-favorite RPG EarthBound(MOTHER 2) and third in the MOTHER series, is an RPG that breaks the mold used by the two previous games in the series. You won't find an imitation of America in this game, but you will find many familiar themes, a wonderfully written diaglogue, a unique cast of characters, a new rhythm-based battle system, and a gripping story described by MOTHER series creator Shigesato Itoi as Strange, funny, & heartrending. By the time you finish MOTHER 3 you will laugh, you will cry, and you won't want it to end.
ja.gif
#2382: MOTHER 3 (WRG)

Genre: RPG
Publisher: Nintendo
Dumped on: 18/04/2006
ROM Size: 256Mbit

gicon.jpg
View in G-Online
mcukow.png
Game Walkthrough
download.gif
Download the MOTHER 3 English Fan Translation Patch
money.png
Pre-order the MOTHER 3 Handbook Guide
controller.png
Official GBAtemp Recommends! Mini-page
discuss.png
Discuss

Issue #1: Golden Sun - October 22nd, 2008
Issue #2: Boktai - The Sun Is In Your Hands - October 29th, 2008

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not to seem rude or anything but is there gonna be other games besides RPG's ?

(I havnt played mother3 due to compatibility with flash carts ect...)

JPH

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
not to seem rude or anything but is there gonna be other games besides RPG's ?

(I havnt played mother3 due to compatibility with flash carts ect...)
Eheh
biggrin.gif

Can't help the GBA had so many great RPG titles!
wink.gif

Nah, I kid - but yeah we'll shake it up next week, I promise ya.

I can guarantee you'll enjoy the game, I know I sure have.
smile.gif

adzix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
excellent choice.
this is why my game boy micro is back in action.
currently i am in chapter 5, but i really try to take it slow and enjoy everything to the fullest.
one of the prettiest gba games, for sure, plus an incredible amount of kickass music.
the translation is nothing short of great, too.
a must-play i'd say

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Been playing this game on my XROM 512. Switch off between GBA SP, DS Lite, and Gamecube. It looks and sounds different but fantastic on each. Also you can play the entire game with just your right hand on the Gamecube's gameboy player, C-stick to move.

I was not nuts about Earthbound but this game rocks. I got the first few generic quest collectibles out of order and sequence broke a bit. Just a little more grinding. It's always fun going back and talking to everyone every little step of the game. I don't want to miss a thing because I really don't see myself playing this brilliant grind-fest a second time over. Then again I'm not finished yet.

Cai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heran Bago said:
I don't want to miss a thing because I really don't see myself playing this brilliant grind-fest a second time over.

Actually, I disagree with the grind-fest assertion, as one is very capable of beating this game at fairly low levels...well, that is, if the player is utilizing the rhythm-based battle system. So what I'm saying is, it doesn't have to be a grind-fest at all.

Pikachu025

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Late game (chapter 8) bosses are quite hard if you lack PP-recovery items though. But yeah, it's beatable at low levels.

Amazing game in any case, should be played by everyone who likes RPGs. I also ordered the Handbook yesterday, as it looks to be an awesome piece of work.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
I only had to grind about 3 levels, to beat that damn Mecha-Gorilla, and that was only because I didn't realise you weren't supposed to use Thunder on it. If you're finding it to be a grindfest, then you're doing it wrong.

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
raulpica said:
B-Blue said:
MOTHER 3 + GB Micro = infinite fun!
Yeah
biggrin.gif

I'm playing it slowly to enjoy every single little piece of it
smile.gif
Just brilliant.

One of the most awesome games ever.

HELL YEAH MAN! This game was why i bought a GBM and an EZ IV!

Off topic: anyone used that snes gba emulator?

Possible on topic: Who hopes they translate Mother 1+2?

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
They did made a little teaser suggesting that they'll do both 1 + 2 too, but they didn't promise anything!!

Also, I never played this game before, and it really rocks my socks off!! I'd like to get that Mother 3 faceplate for GBM, but I can't find it anywhere..
frown.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hadrian said:
I thought we were to go with an action or sport game?
And me too, but I guess, this is still actual, so shaun decided to post this up while it's still fresh..

He has quite few suggestions already, so, next one will probably be platformer or sports..

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
I'm on Chapter 3 or 4 at the moment. Pretty enjoyable so far. I've kind of put the game down for now though as I'm knee deep in Uni work and any spare moments I have are going to Fallout 3 at the moment. I'll definitely pick up where I left off later down the track though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte