Hacking Major Wii Banner Brick

SaitoKojima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My Wii's been bricked since around July, and I've been trying different methods from a lot of sites on how to unBrick it.

All of them don't seem to work.

I have the Banner Brick type where it shows "Wii system files are corrupt" after I press A on the Health and Safety screen.

I don't have Homebrew Channel, or BootMii. This is a straight-up oldschool WiiKey modchip.

I can access the black screen that shows "4.0 (USA)" but that's about it.

I don't know what I can do to unbrick my Wii.

HiBit

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Without the recovery menu you can only send it to Nintendo to fix it.
Or - and only if it's a old Wii with a vulnerable boot1 - you can use a NAND Flasher(example).

Edit:
Sorry

First i read you can'T access the recovery menu, but after i read your posting again i understand you can access it.

I read some posts after this one and here a little hint:
It's possible your Wiikey has a new firmware and the autoboot feature is switched off, it's a default "feature".

If this is true, you can change the settings on another Wii and than you should try any ab disc again.
wink.gif

jabmaster2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does ur modchip autoboot. Have u tried autobooting smash bros and doing smash stack to run wad manager and remove the bad wad.

wiiv1.5owners3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are getting the usa sign up by holding Y on the gamecube pad?
ifso make sure zelda twighlight princess is in the drive and you have the boot.dol wad manager on the root of SD card ......
at this point if you still have the twighlight hack on there run backwards let wad manager load and reinstall you correct system menu no sure of usa but i did this with pal after playing with preinstall not all is lost you can also dismantle a gamecube pad and jig it into bootmii mode but i dont know how to use this method other then that refer to some higher powers tutorials as long as your geting the black screen its just the sytem menu.wad that is corrupted.GOOD LUCK

SaitoKojima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know about this Twilight Princess hack you're talking about.

But I can get the black screen with "4.0 USA" if I hold down all the D-pad stuff with a GCN controller on Port 4.

What is this Twilight Princess hack thing you're talking about?

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Yeah smashstack should be the way to go for you... your chip will definetly autoboot that game... but you should have a decent (non trucha signed) dual layer copy of the game... make it autoboot using bootme... you don't need the recovery menu... your chip will boot the game in the health&safety screen

SaitoKojima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Part of me wants to send it in to Nintendo, but I'm very very worried about losing all my save files, especially since I never backed them up. (I never thought this would happen.)

SaitoKojima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, my copy of Super Smash Bros Brawl is the original game, retail bought and everything. I also have a copy of the original Japanese retail version as well. (I was impatient. :/)

jabmaster2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try smash stack if u got a legit copy like I said. I always wanted to know if this would work on a brick. Ninty would be easiest I guess though if u don't want try it. And to dude that sugessted twillight hack his wii is on 4.0 so that would not work

SaitoKojima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I keep hearing about Auto-Boots and stuff, but I don't get what they mean.

My WiiKey is v1.9s. I can make the 4.0 USA screen appear if I hold down all the D-Pads on GCN controller in Port 4, and that's about it.

Anything else just goes to a "Wii system files are corrupt" screen.

lll

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You'll need to edit the Brawl ISO to make it autoboot, so make an ISO from your original or obtain it by other means, then patch it to autoboot with Wii BootMe: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_BootMe

From there you just need to use Smash Stack to run something to delete the title with the dodgy banner (Wad Manager if you have the wad, AnyTitleDeleter if you don't.)

I'd recommend you use Smash Stack to run the HackMii installer first and install BootMii and the Homebrew Channel, and make a NAND backup, before you try deleting the title though, just in case.

How'd you manage to get a banner brick if you don't use any homebrew? You'd need to use Wad Manager to install a broken wad in the first place, wouldn't you?

SaitoKojima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly, I have no idea.

I was playing Megaman 9 an hour before it happened, then went to eat dinner, and when I came back it showed up that message.

And it still continues to show that message.

Does it have to be a dual-layer disc for the Brawl ISO? Cause I don't have any Dual Layer discs.

Hell, I need to know where I can find all this SmashStack and BootMii stuff is, in general.

jabmaster2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can get smashstack from gamingexposed.com and bootmii stuff from hackmii.com and wadmanager from waninkokos blog or I'm sure there is a link somewhere here he'll if u search any of those on gbatemp u shld find direct links. Yep dual layer required to burn smash bros. I thought someone modchips would autoboit originals though without modifing isos. But I don't know much that. Good luck man

SaitoKojima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Easy for you guys, maybe, but I've never done anything like this before.

90% of the stuff you're all saying is complete "phew..." right past my head, it's like a totally new language.

roku93

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
That would be because you're not willing to understand. If there's something you don't understand, for example Trucha signing, you'd put that on google, learn it's a way to make wii think the title has been signed by Nintendo and you'd then understand. Repeat for every term you don't understand. Stop being lazy ass wanting everything on a silver plate.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Very accurate.