SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Well hopefully it can get fixed on WiiStation. I prefer to avoid WiiSX beta 4.0 as the video filter is bothersome.
Same.
I only use WiiSX for games which still doesn't run on WiiStation, but ugh... i have to deal with the blurry filter.

I like to use WiiStatiok because of the option of disabling the bilinear filter.

GustavoReis

GameCube and wii lover
Trophies
Website
mundowiihack.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Brazil
Same.
I only use WiiSX for games which still doesn't run on WiiStation, but ugh... i have to deal with the blurry filter.

I like to use WiiStatiok because of the option of disabling the bilinear filter.
Well hopefully it can get fixed on WiiStation. I prefer to avoid WiiSX beta 4.0 as the video filter is bothersome.

I know about the great work of emukidid and percuei, but I also prefer to use wiistation, I think it's more complete

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Yes, without the filter I cannot differentiate between my real ps1/ps2 and the wii on games that use the full 320 wide res, it's amazing.

I've always found Bilinear way too harsh on the eyes, specially on these low resolution games. Filters that blur badly scaled pictures have their place, mainly in small screens for me, but man if they're not aggressive on larger displays...

Regardless, we have to be glad we have different forks to work with, more options is nice.

Heck, each fork's exsistence to me can be seen at the very least as a stepping stone towards what we have now, each one matters as they helped to get to this point, and the development that went into them is very much appreciated.

Last edited by Maeson,

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
Personally I actually prefer the filter due to improper scaling artifacts on a few games, especially on giant, modern displays that otherwise do a very poor job of scaling low resolution content.

Once hardware acceleration gets under way, the majority of content will look much much better imo, even 2D games.

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I play in 480p on my HDTV, so the filter is a definite no-go for me. With my Sewell HDMI adapter it looks very good, but with the filter on, horrible.

Edit: Well no, not that bad. It really depends on the game.

Last edited by _47iscool,

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Personally I actually prefer the filter due to improper scaling artifacts on a few games, especially on giant, modern displays that otherwise do a very poor job of scaling low resolution content.

Once hardware acceleration gets under way, the majority of content will look much much better imo, even 2D games.

Which games show artifacts? I have not noticed any myself, just the stretching to 4:3 making some games with less horizontal resolution blurrier but I don't see any shimmering pixels there either.

But hat's why I said that it has its places, although I still think Bilinear goes too far, mGBA for example has modes that if i remember well, do a good job to smooth out stuff I and do not blur nearly as much.

I don' t know how it does it, but it'd be lovely to see it picked up by other emulators, even RetroArch itself on other systems.

Of course not everybody loves their pixels sharp, so options are always welcomed.

---

I kept testing with my OSSC, and while there seems to be ways to sharpen up 256x240 games running on Wiistation, I am incapable of having the picture to have proper scaling, some vertical lines are mixed, leading to weird blurry sections, while others are sharp. I forgot how maddening messing with these things can be, lol.

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same problem as with Jade Cocoon, in Wiistation it doesn't save or load game but in WiiSX beta 4.0 it works correctly.

-Update-

There isn't any issue with SuperSponge. I had no idea you have to go to the options menu to load it. I assumed it was like most games that auto-load.

L0w

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
As a I grew up in a time that we didn’t have the ability to game with/against each other over the internet, I still do like some couch gaming with friends. For this reason I really like the multitap games, which brings back some good memories. I have tested a few on the Wii U in vWii with 4 Wii U pro controllers. I herewith share my results, hope someone can use this information to play local games with friends as well (and give me some tips for games that are really cool to play with friends as well;-) ):

Games that work perfectly with the multitap:
- Adidas Power Soccer 98
- Adidas Power Soccer 2
- Bomberman Party Edition
- Bomberman World
- Crash Bash
- Crash Team Racing
- International Track & Field
- International Track & Field 2
- ISS Pro Evolution
- ISS Pro Evolution 2
- NBA Jam Tournament Edition
- NHL Face Off 2001
- Pong
- Poy Poy
- Pro Evolution Soccer
- Sled Storm
- Street Racer
- Wu Tang Shaolin Style

Games that don't work with the multitap:
- Destruction Derby Raw (set works fine with 4 controllers, but turns into a black screen as soon as I start a battle).
- FIFA 99 (in menu and controller set up all controllers work, but as soon as I start a game none of the controllers seem to work anymore
- NHL 2000 (2 players work fine, multitap doesn't work).
- Poy Poy 2 (can't get 3/4 players to work, the multitap is not recognized).
- Sydney 2000 (keeps pauzing on the controllers in the multitap while starting a game, unplayable).
- Team Buddies (does not start, keeps loading the game).
- This is Football 2 (as mentioned before, the game doesn't work yet).
- Twisted Metal 3 (can't get 4 players to work, 3 players seems to be recognized).
- Twisted Metal 4 (can't get 4 players to work, 3 players seems to be recognized).

I have used the newest build, Wiistation_Ver2.4 with 240p v17 for my tests.

klonoa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey

[SIZE=4]L0w[/SIZE] no one cares about games that are working, there are so many ^^

Only speak of the non working one so we can compare with other ps1 emus...
???
speak for yourself.
we are caring about working games here, that's the whole point of sharing the test results. i'm grateful L0w did some tests for all of us.
how else are you going to know if your favorite games are working completely fine with Wiistation or not?

no one else but you ever complained about it... i never seen someone else be angry about seeing a list of working games.
why don't you try and see for yourself which ones are not working? then you can report back to us.

MeXen

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yes, without the filter I cannot differentiate between my real ps1/ps2 and the wii on games that use the full 320 wide res, it's amazing.

I've always found Bilinear way too harsh on the eyes, specially on these low resolution games. Filters that blur badly scaled pictures have their place, mainly in small screens for me, but man if they're not aggressive on larger displays...

Regardless, we have to be glad we have different forks to work with, more options is nice.

Heck, each fork's exsistence to me can be seen at the very least as a stepping stone towards what we have now, each one matters as they helped to get to this point, and the development that went into them is very much appreciated.

Most emulators dont really implement Bilinear Sharp which is a nice compromise, mGBA has it, and i am not sure if Wiistation Trap filter counts.

september796

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Which games show artifacts? I have not noticed any myself, just the stretching to 4:3 making some games with less horizontal resolution blurrier but I don't see any shimmering pixels there either.
any 2d sidescroller will make it more noticeable, as the sprites scroll, the pixels will shrink and stretch.

mrmagicm

Trophies
XP
Country
France
@klonoa as I said no point to know the working games as now, 98% of games works!! YES 98%!!!! maybe 2% more have some glitches but that all (point them), So speak only of nonworking ones, so they can be fixed!! Speaking only of working one WON'T help the one that are not working to work and his a loss of time. Are you too dumb to understand this? When there is a deadly plague in a population, will you point each people that are fine???? No interest!!! this is for winkers!!
If a game is broken, in that case point it.

Last edited by mrmagicm,
Reactions: SaulFabre

zombie23470

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@klonoa as I said no point to know the working games as now, 98% of games works!! YES 98%!!!! maybe 2% more have some glitches but that all (point them), So speak only of nonworking ones, so they can be fixed!! Speaking only of working one WON'T help the one that are not working to work and his a loss of time. Are you too dumb to understand this? When there is a deadly plague in a population, will you point each people that are fine???? No interest!!! this is for winkers!!
Why are you like this on a niche forum to a niche community of gamers who just want to see if games are still working with each update of wiistation, especially since how would we know IF IT STILL PLAYABLE IF WE DONT TEST IT. instead of insulting normal people who just wanna have their favorite classic on wii to play for themselves or with friend thanks to wii ease of setting up muitplayer. If wanna see if progress is made on these " non-working games to working games" even though that what they doing cause you won't know if a game work unless someone you play it. Jeez man just chill out and help out if you have the time to fight.

nicknicolau

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Some games may stop working under a new version of an emulator. I got your point, we should be mostly focusing on unplayable games atm, but we should never let the working ones to the side.

MeXen

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

Are you ok there buddie?

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
any 2d sidescroller will make it more noticeable, as the sprites scroll, the pixels will shrink and stretch.

Well, I don't know what to tell you, I've tried several, Mega Man 8 and Rayman just now, and I don't see it at all. Are you playing in 480p, or 240p? I do play in 240p on all I can (so, all games I have but Torneko: The Last Hope) so maybe on 480p there's something going on.

I have more than enough experience with uneven pixels and the awful scrolling mess they can produce, but here I don't see it. I don't even need to see things moving, just looking at a character sprite is enough most of the times.

Here, take a couple of shots to see:

IPC_2023-11-02.16.05.32.2180.jpg

IPC_2023-11-02.16.12.13.1110.jpg

And for the record, I do care when people mention games that work. It's great to have them mentioned so I know playing on Wii is an option.

september796

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Well, I don't know what to tell you, I've tried several, Mega Man 8 and Rayman just now, and I don't see it at all. Are you playing in 480p, or 240p? I do play in 240p on all I can (so, all games I have but Torneko: The Last Hope) so maybe on 480p there's something going on.

I have more than enough experience with uneven pixels and the awful scrolling mess they can produce, but here I don't see it. I don't even need to see things moving, just looking at a character sprite is enough most of the times.

Here, take a couple of shots to see:

And for the record, I do care when people mention games that work. It's great to have them mentioned so I know playing on Wii is an option.
do you play on a wii or a wii u? maybe it's a vWii issue.

Reactions: Maeson

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok thanks, I love my X but have not messed with a S yet.