Building SM64 for Nintendo Switch from sm64ex-alo Repository

Hi, I hope the next steps help to somebody, first forgive my bad English, is no my native language.

After the project «n64decomp» finished lots of forks emerged. One of them is the SM 64 PC Port which have as aim to be a port of n64decomp for modern devices.

Some of these ports was for the Switch console and become real on the fork fgsfdsfgs that fork seems to be staled, Now AloUltraExt have resumed the work and add some features and converged the latest code with latest refresh of the decomp project.

Switch Building Process

If you read the guide:

https://github.com/fgsfdsfgs/sm64pc/wiki/Compiling-for-Nintendo-Switch

The steps are loosely explained, but they don’t work well for me, so I decided read a lot of documentation and the official SM64 thread completely.

I choose to use for this set of instructions the MSYS environment, which for me is easy to setup and as it is an enclosed environment which is not affected by other software on your computer, I mainly use Windows, but as MINGW is a Cygwin environment I think the steps could be easy extrapolated to Linux environments.

First you need Install a MSYS environment:
The latest instructions for install the MSYS environment are on https://gbatemp.net/threads/install-msys-environment.652234/ if you don't have one working, use them.

After you have the MSYS environment working you need to install DevKitPro

For that you can follow the instructions on the tutorial https://gbatemp.net/threads/setup-a-devkitpro-environment-on-windows.652238/

Now you can start the building process:

First install the prerequisites

In a MinGW64 shell (or MinGW32 if you have a Windows 32 bit edition, why will you do today?). Be sure the prompt shows MINGW64 or MINGW32 if not you started the wrong shell, close it and open the right one.
b.png

Please execute the next command, several times until you get the message "there is nothing to do", you can be asked to restarts the MINGW64 environment few times:
pacman -Syuu --needed --noconfirm

Then execute the next commands:

Code:
pacman -Syuu --needed --noconfirm base-devel git make mercurial python3 subversion unzip autoconf automake libtool pkg-config autoconf-wrapper mingw-w64-x86_64-cmake mingw-w64-x86_64-gcc mingw-w64-x86_64-glew mingw-w64-x86_64-SDL2 mingw-w64-x86_64-toolchain mingw-w64-x86_64-SDL switch-dev devkitA64 dkp-toolchain-vars libnx switch-tools switch-mesa switch-libdrm_nouveau switch-sdl2

Once the installation end, verify the MSYS2 database again:

pacman -Syuu --needed --noconfirm

Clone the repository, using the --recursive option in order to clone all the trees.

git clone --recursive https://github.com/AloUltraExt/sm64ex-alo

The repository is cloned to a subfolder of the "Home" directory of MinGWXX Shell, on the prompt "~" means your home directory.

You need copy a legal copy of the original ROM in the cloned directory, it must be in "Big Endian" formatted and called:

./baserom.us.z64

copy the file to the path c:\msys64\home\<USERNAME>\sm64ex-alo

If your ROM isn't on Big Endian format, use https://hack64.net/tools/swapper.php to convert it.

You must be sure the $PATH variable include the mingwXX binaries.

Execute the command
Code:
echo $PATH

And check the /mingw64/bin and/or /mingw32/bin are on the path, if they are not you can add using the commands:

For Windows 64 bits use the command:
export PATH=/mingw64/bin:/mingw32/bin:$PATH
And for Windows 32 bits use:
export PATH=/mingw32/bin:/mingw64/bin:$PATH

Also if the DekKit variables (DEVKITARM, DEVKITPPC, DEVKITPRO) are missing, you can run:
Code:
source $DEVKITPRO/switchvars.sh

Now the environment is ready to build Switch version using any combination of the options you like, by example:
Code:
cd ~/sm64ex-alo
make TARGET_SWITCH=1 BETTERCAMERA=1 NODRAWINGDISTANCE=1 TEXTURE_FIX=1

Will activate a better camera handling, enable the drawing of far objects on the game, Fixes some texture related bugs (by example smoke).
sadly the actual repo is not so compatible with multiple cores, so please do not use -j parameter.
After the process ends the NRO is on the build subfolder.
Code:
Build succeeded.
==== Build Details ====
File:           build/us_nx/sm64.us.f3dex2e.nro
Version:        us
Target:         Nintendo Switch

Additional Note: For Build Windows version you can run the command without the TARGET_SWITCH=1 parameter.

BUILD OPTIONS
Build optionDefaultPossible valuesDescription
VERSIONusus, eu, jp, shWhich ROM to use. The selected ROM has to be in the repo folder with the name baserom.$VERSION.z64. sh is currently broken.
TARGET_BITS32, 64,TARGET_BITS=n appends some compiler flags for an n-bit build. If the value is empty, the option does nothing, assuming your native toolchain will set everything up by itself. Use this only if you're having trouble otherwise.
TARGET_RPI00, 1If 1, select optimal settings for Raspberry PI hardware. See the main article (https://github.com/sm64pc/sm64pc/wiki/Helper-compiling-script-for-Raspberry-Pi) on that.
TARGET_WEB00, 1If 1, build Emscripten version. See the main article (https://github.com/sm64pc/sm64pc/wiki/Compiling-for-the-web) on that.
WINDOWS_BUILD0, 1If 1, build for Windows. Usually set automatically if building on Windows.
OSX_BUILD00, 1If 1, build for OSX.
WINDOWS_CONSOLE00, 1If 1, append -mconsole to Windows CFLAGS, making a console window appear while the game is running. Can be useful for debugging purposes.
DEBUG00, 1If 1, build with debug symbols and default optimization level. Otherwise build with -O2.
RENDER_APIGLGL, GL_LEGACY, D3D11, D3D12Select rendering backend to use.
GL corresponds to OpenGL 2.1 (gfx_opengl.c),
GL_LEGACY corresponds to OpenGL 1.3 (gfx_opengl_legacy.c).
Direct3D backends will also force WINDOW_API to DXGI.
WINDOW_APISDL2SDL2, DXGISelect windowing backend. GL renderers force SDL2 and D3D renderers force DXGI for now, so you don't need to specify this.
AUDIO_APISDL2SDL2Select audio backend. There's only one right now.
CONTROLLER_APISDL2SDL2Specify list of controller backends to use. There's only one right now.
BETTERCAMERA00, 1If 1, build with analog camera support (uses Puppycam).
NODRAWINGDISTANCE00, 1If 1, build with disabled draw distance (every object is active at all times). May affect gameplay.
TEXTURE_FIX00, 1If 1, enable various texture-related bugfixes (e.g. fixes the smoke texture).
EXT_OPTIONS_MENU10, 1If 1, enable Options menu. Accessed from the Pause menu by pressing R.
EXTERNAL_DATA00, 1If 1, load textures and soundbanks from external files. Allows you to use texture packs. The default data is copied to a res folder next to the produced executable. (On the console the folder goes on the root of SD Card)
DISCORDRPC00, 1If 1, enable Discord Rich Presence support. Only works on x86_64.
TEXTSAVES00, 1If 1, use INI-based save format instead of binary EEPROM dumps. Experimental.

NEW BUILD OPTIONS ADDED BY sm64ex-alo REPO
Build optionDefaultPossible valuesDescription
QOL_FIXES00, 1QOL improvements
QOL_FEATURES00, 1QOF improvements
MOUSE_ACTIONS00, 1On desktop versions, enable mouse support, Only works on SDL modes, DirectX is WIP.
EXT_DEBUG_MENU00, 1Enable Simple Debug Menu
PORT_MOP_OBJS00, 1Kazel's More Object Patch enable

After the NRO file is created, you can use SAK Switch Army Knife to make a NSP forwarder installable on the HOS.

Or better, use nsp-forwarder.n8.io to create a customized Forwarder.

Troubleshooting
  • If you get the error gcc: command not found or make: gcc: No such file or directory you do not install all needed packages or run the wrong Shell, be sure of running «MINGW32» or «MINGW64» and what that is pointed on the prompt in purple.
  • If the ROM is missing or wrong format/version you get the error Failed to open baserom.us.z64! Verify the correct ROM at the c:\msys64\home\<username>\sm64ex.folder.
  • If you get the error make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop. You are on the wrong folder the last make command should be run from c:\msys64\home\<username>\sm64ex folder.
  • Be sure of get the responses Target: i686-w64-mingw32 or Target: x86_64-w64-mingw32 when you run the command gcc -v if else other is shown on screen you install the wrong gcc package or run MSYS shell, remember the process should be run on «MINGW32» or «MINGW64» shells.

Attachments

• a.png
    a.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by impeeza,

JLJ9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having a problem right during build, unsure what is causing it. Followed all steps to a T.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:/msys64/home/livin/sm64ex-alo/extract_assets.py", line 301, in <module>
main() if __name__ == "__main__" else None
^^^^^^
File "C:/msys64/home/livin/sm64ex-alo/extract_assets.py", line 243, in main
subprocess.run(
File "C:/msys64/mingw64/lib/python3.11/subprocess.py", line 548, in run
with Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs) as process:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File "C:/msys64/mingw64/lib/python3.11/subprocess.py", line 1026, in __init__
self._execute_child(args, executable, preexec_fn, close_fds,
File "C:/msys64/mingw64/lib/python3.11/subprocess.py", line 1538, in _execute_child
hp, ht, pid, tid = _winapi.CreateProcess(executable, args,
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
FileNotFoundError: [WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified
Makefile:430: *** Failed to extract assets from US ROM. Stop.

Rom is correct, setup environment correctly, even tried running MSYS2 MINGW64 as admin and repeated steps again to see if that could be a potential issue.

gonna delete everything, and reinstall MSYS2 and devkit again aswell, I installed devkit through MYSYS2 gonna try it through standalone as it wasnt working when following the previous tutorial.

If anybody can please help, if I come to a resolution I will update.

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    51.1 KB · Views: 5

impeeza

¡Kabito!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Having a problem right during build, unsure what is causing it. Followed all steps to a T.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:/msys64/home/livin/sm64ex-alo/extract_assets.py", line 301, in <module>
main() if __name__ == "__main__" else None
^^^^^^
File "C:/msys64/home/livin/sm64ex-alo/extract_assets.py", line 243, in main
subprocess.run(
File "C:/msys64/mingw64/lib/python3.11/subprocess.py", line 548, in run
with Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs) as process:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File "C:/msys64/mingw64/lib/python3.11/subprocess.py", line 1026, in __init__
self._execute_child(args, executable, preexec_fn, close_fds,
File "C:/msys64/mingw64/lib/python3.11/subprocess.py", line 1538, in _execute_child
hp, ht, pid, tid = _winapi.CreateProcess(executable, args,
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
FileNotFoundError: [WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified
Makefile:430: *** Failed to extract assets from US ROM. Stop.

Rom is correct, setup environment correctly, even tried running MSYS2 MINGW64 as admin and repeated steps again to see if that could be a potential issue.

gonna delete everything, and reinstall MSYS2 and devkit again aswell, I installed devkit through MYSYS2 gonna try it through standalone as it wasnt working when following the previous tutorial.

If anybody can please help, if I come to a resolution I will update.
You are missing the step where you need to copy a legally aquiered ROM to the repo folder:
You need copy a legal copy of the original ROM in the cloned directory, it must be in "Big Endian" formatted and called:

./baserom.us.z64

copy the file to the path c:\msys64\home\<USERNAME>\sm64ex-alo

If your ROM isn't on Big Endian format, use https://hack64.net/tools/swapper.php to convert it.

You must be sure the $PATH variable include the mingwXX binaries.
Post automatically merged:

I forgot to put the checksum of the needed ROMs:

sm64.us.z64 sha1: 9bef1128717f958171a4afac3ed78ee2bb4e86ce
sha256: 17ce077343c6133f8c9f2d6d6d9a4ab62c8cd2aa57c40aea1f490b4c8bb21d91
MD5: 20b854b239203baf6c961b850a4a51a2

sm64.jp.z64 sha1: 8a20a5c83d6ceb0f0506cfc9fa20d8f438cafe51
sm64.eu.z64 sha1: 4ac5721683d0e0b6bbb561b58a71740845dceea9

Last edited by impeeza,

JLJ9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i pulled out the ol' cartridge dumper and im still not understanding why there is a bug extracting my official, legal, super legit, cartridge dumped right from warios house, waluigi's taco stand, super mario bros super show paisanos rom. It worked when creating a pc build,not understanding why it wouldnt work here, unfortunately I havent got the best of luck when it comes to doing things like these as the pc port took several tries to compile.

its okay though gonna just delete everything and try again as I dont know what could be the problem extracting the rom,mario gave it to me himself so im at a loss for words.

Sorry for my humor ,thank you for your help though.

Reactions: impeeza

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto