Wii-U NAND-AID - eMMC Recovery and Replacement Interposer Public Test

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What SDIO said. Also make sure to make what the most important part of both tutorials sais:
Before you begin, doing anything to mlc/emmc, you need to understand a few core concepts. Make sure to read carfully and be aware of the implications
Read and understand both, then decide what to do would be my suggestion.

DaveB1980

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@SDIO Is there any way I can share the logs with you to ascertain which route/tutorial makes more sense?

I searched them for "MEDIA ERROR" and "DATA CORRUPTION" and found matches for both. I saw on one tutorial that it said the MEDIA one can be ignored, but I don't know what to make of the DATA one.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@DaveB1980
Read and understand both
... As you still didn't do that I'll just quote from that guides:
It's fine to DM the log
A media error on mlc01 means the eMMC itself noticed it can no longer retrieve the data error free and indicates a failure of the eMMC.
But then again, as said and what you seemed to missunderstand:
Only errors concerning the dev:mlc01 are relevant.
Errors concerning the optical disc drive (odd) can be ignored.
In other words: A MEDIA ERROR is the biggest sign of a eMMC dying but that's ofc only true if it's on the eMMC (also called MLC) to begin with. For example a scratch in a game disc (that blueray like discs you feed into the Wii U) can produce MEDIA ERRORs on the optical disc drive (odd) but that's completely irrelevant.

//EDIT: Instead of DMing the whole log you can also just copy&paste the line showing the MEDIA ERROR into your next reply here. Would still be nice to have the whole log to add it to the list of failed MLCs but for a quick diagnostic that one line really is enough.

Last edited by V10lator,

DaveB1980

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@V10lator Sure, here's some of the excerpts from the logs. There might be some extraneous stuff returned by my grep at the start of each line. Here is the line with the MEDIA ERROR:

Code:
89.log:00:05:25:711: FSA: ### MEDIA ERROR ###, dev:mlc01, err:-2228230, cmd:12, path:(null)

Here's one of the DATA CORRUPTION entries:

Code:
90.log:00:00:13:394: FSA: ### DATA CORRUPTION ERROR ###, dev:mlc01, err:-1245211, cmd:11, path:(null)
00;00;18;436: ErrEula: thread=0x4c606540, stackSize=      64 KB, stackBase=0x4c60652c, stackEnd=0x4c5f652c (ErrEulaCre00:00:19:826: FSA: ### DATA CORRUPTION ERROR ###, dev:mlc01, err:-1245211, cmd:11, path:(null)

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
00:05:25:711: FSA: ### MEDIA ERROR ###, dev:mlc01
Yes, that's clearly a defective eMMC.

Now to your decision... You seem to be fine with loosing data, right? So I would run the MLC Checker even if it might do more damage, then look at its result to see if there are corrupted folders. After that what I would do is:
  • If there are corrupted folders go ahead and upgrade the NAND to 64 GB while loosing all data.
  • In case files are corrupted only clone the eMMC to a same-size SD card and then fix the corruptions to not loose data (except maybe corrupted save files and stuff).
Note that you could clone and fix with corrupted folders, too, but you can't really fix these folders. This means a factory reset will crash. In case you don't plan to factory reset in the foreseeable future that might be fine for you, too.

So we can't really tell you what route to go. I can just tell you what I would do and state you all the options. SDIO might do it differently on his end than how I would do it... ;)

DaveB1980

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, that's clearly a defective eMMC.

Now to your decision... You seem to be fine with loosing data, right? So I would run the MLC Checker even if it might do more damage, then look at its result to see if there are corrupted folders. After that what I would do is:
  • If there are corrupted folders go ahead and upgrade the NAND to 64 GB while loosing all data.
  • In case files are corrupted only clone the eMMC to a same-size SD card and then fix the corruptions to not loose data (except maybe corrupted save files and stuff).
Note that you could clone and fix with corrupted folders, too, but you can't really fix these folders. This means a factory reset will crash. In case you don't plan to factory reset in the foreseeable future that might be fine for you, too.

So we can't really tell you what route to go. I can just tell you what I would do and state you all the options. SDIO might do it differently on his end than how I would do it... ;)
Damn, so basically it's the worst case scenario in terms of my recovery/repair options?

Potentially doing more damage sounds like a bad idea. I don't care about losing any data that's on the machine. I've long finished any games I had saved on it. As for Miis, I have them on my 3DS so I can just re-import them if I want 'em for something. I just want to get my console back up and running in case I get an itch of nostalgia and want to play something.

Do you have any thoughts, @SDIO? I trust experts like both of you for some guidance. I've never considered doing any sort of mod like the NAND-AID to a console before. Kind of intimidating if I'm being honest.

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It really depends on what you are more comfortable with.
If you have no problem soldering and find the 64gb upgrade usefully, just go with that.
If you can barely solder the NAND aid and rather do a a more manual repair of the software, go with that.

I would suggest you first do a SLC + MLC dump using the recovery. You can then use wfs-extract to extract the MLC dump on the PC and look at the errors to see how bad the corruption is and maybe decide based on that.

Reactions: Valery0p

Xrider

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
**UPDATE**

FILES HAVE BEEN UPDATED.

For those who've been following some of my work, I've been designing an eMMC/NAND recovery/replacement Interposer for the Wii-U. This PCB is designed to fit cleanly into place on the Wii-U mainboard without requiring the installer to remove the BGA eMMC module. This tool allows you to more easily read/dump the existing eMMC as well as serving as an eMMC replacement via MicroSD.

View attachment 364135
Thanks @Voultar for the design of this PCB, I will try it quickly ;)

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Voultar According to a PCB manufacturer there's an issue with the gerber file:
Find the attached pic, the size of half hole on the right-angle should be bigger than the 1.2mm. Can you plz change it and send us the new file?
1.png

Reactions: SylverReZ

Xrider

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Special thanks to @Voultar and @skawo
I wait my 64g microSD card for dump MLC 32g ;)

IMG-2919-1.jpg

I siggest to add test-point for close the CK from nand to CM for dumping NAND when it istalled.
Of course, i will make a wire jumper for dumping NAND with UDPIH method for CK signal, and i will add 3V wiring for SD card replacement ;)

Ysecond

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Special thanks to @Voultar and @skawo
I wait my 64g microSD card for dump MLC 32g ;)

IMG-2919-1.jpg

I siggest to add test-point for close the CK from nand to CM for dumping NAND when it istalled.
Of course, i will make a wire jumper for dumping NAND with UDPIH method for CK signal, and i will add 3V wiring for SD card replacement ;)
What happened? Did you replace your EMMC chip?

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The trick is to dump the MLC before installing nand-aid.

Now you can get the clk on the SD slot and just bridge it to the CK pad on the nandaid. And of course remove the SD when reconnecting the mlc

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Hi.

On jlcpcb, how many edges (The number of PCB-edges that has castellated holes) should I set for castellated holes? It goes from 1 - 4

Thanks

Xrider

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
They are available for 3 € + shipping (1.10 € is the cheapest option) over at https://gbatemp.net/threads/637225/ (it's no longer pre-sell, thread title will get changed ASAP).

Still I would prefer if someone who reads this purchases from @Xrider as he invested a lot and you should appreciate that. :)
Thanks ;)

The tutorial in french is done, it's available on Delta-island.com/forum (of course, google translate will be your friend) :
https://www.delta-island.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4634

mario-maker-delta.png

Special thanks to:
- GaryOderNichts, skawo, Voultar, V10lator, SDIO and Serjio193 (is mentioned in the Delta tutorial)

Last edited by Xrider,
Reactions: AQS

Nonstiq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Still I would prefer if someone who reads this purchases from @Xrider as he invested a lot and you should appreciate that. :)
I did appreciate that and have purchased one from them. :)

Looking forward to fixing up my Wii U. I have a Raspberry Pi Pico on the way to dump the chip via UDPIH and will inspect the data for corruption, and then will install the NAND-AID if required. I know very little about how this all works (I know what it's doing in a broad sense, but no specific technical knowledge) but I'm good at soldering and following instructions.

FWIW, my Wii U - confirmed to have Hynix chip - crashes with a 160-0103 error if I'm in the Mii Maker for about 20 seconds. Everything else seems to work fine at this stage and haven't been able to get it to crash in any other way, not yet at least. I have no data I need to save so don't mind if it's all wiped clean.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: No way, Switch pro will be next