Wii-U NAND-AID - eMMC Recovery and Replacement Interposer Public Test

Xrider

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I did appreciate that and have purchased one from them. :)

Looking forward to fixing up my Wii U. I have a Raspberry Pi Pico on the way to dump the chip via UDPIH and will inspect the data for corruption, and then will install the NAND-AID if required. I know very little about how this all works (I know what it's doing in a broad sense, but no specific technical knowledge) but I'm good at soldering and following instructions.

FWIW, my Wii U - confirmed to have Hynix chip - crashes with a 160-0103 error if I'm in the Mii Maker for about 20 seconds. Everything else seems to work fine at this stage and haven't been able to get it to crash in any other way, not yet at least. I have no data I need to save so don't mind if it's all wiped clean.
Thank you Nonstiq, your order is on the way, check your PM ;)

Only one remaining kit available.

I repeat, I did not make a big batch, I had ordered only 5 units;)

Reactions: Nonstiq

carlo22

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is in reply to the post in which skawo explained the basic process. I could not really use the reply function because of new member restrictions.

Thanks for providing the mlcfilter tool. I just ran mlc_checker and used the tool to get the out.txt file. I checked the title IDs against a title database and wanted to ask what IDs or titles would mean that the NAND needs to be replaced and which are just software related (or atleast can be fixed without a NAND-aid). I know that games are not really problematic but the IDs are all over the place including weird stuff like system keyboard etc. I just wanted to ask if anything except OS and firmware stuff (which I luckily cannot find in my out.txt file) would be a bigger problem.

Attachments

• out.txt
    13.7 KB · Views: 24

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I just ran mlc_checker and used the tool to get the out.txt file.
The newest MLC Checker doesn't need any filtering.

wanted to ask what IDs or titles would mean that the NAND needs to be replaced
This has nothing to do with title IDs. If your NAND is hardware damaged it needs to be replaced. Simple as that.

No idea why you even used the MLC Checker instead of looking into your syslogs like described here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/636361/ (that's also where you find the newest version of @SDIOs recovery menu fork which includes the MLC Checker).

Reactions: carlo22

carlo22

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The newest MLC Checker doesn't need any filtering.

This has nothing to do with title IDs. If your NAND is hardware damaged it needs to be replaced. Simple as that.

No idea why you even used the MLC Checker instead of looking into your syslogs like described here: (that's also where you find the newest version of @SDIOs recovery menu fork which includes the MLC Checker).
Thank you for the quick reply. I guess i misinterpreted the other post a little. I now checked the syslogs and have unfortunately found many media errors that exactly match the one in the example. I guess I'll stick to emulation or eventually get a NAND-aid and soldering kit.

Thanks again for the assistance.

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks for providing the mlcfilter tool. I just ran mlc_checker and used the tool to get the out.txt file. I checked the title IDs against a title database and wanted to ask what IDs or titles would mean that the NAND needs to be replaced and which are just software related (or atleast can be fixed without a NAND-aid). I know that games are not really problematic but the IDs are all over the place including weird stuff like system keyboard etc. I just wanted to ask if anything except OS and firmware stuff (which I luckily cannot find in my out.txt file) would be a bigger problem.
There are a lot of -00030041 (MEDIA_ERROR) indicating a eMMC failure. So it needs to be replaced. See https://gbatemp.net/threads/using-n...emmc-fix-160-0103-system-memory-error.636361/ for that.
On the upside the file you showed didn't have any corrupted directories, so we should be able to fix it without any traces of corruption, given that it doesn't corrupt further. In any case don't write to it, as it could make things worse. Just do a backup and then turn the console off and only turn it on again, after you replaced the eMMC.

Maybe you can find here someone who has still a few NAND-AID left. Maybe @Xrider or @V10lator still have some NAND-AIDs left if you ask them nicely. Else you could also just use a micro SD Adapter as outlined in the Tutorial.

Also you should use the latest versions of my fork of Garys recovery, it has everything included (dumper, checker, batch install): https://github.com/jan-hofmeier/recovery_menu/releases/ and you don't need filtering on that. I made the checker less verbose.

Last edited by SDIO,

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Let's say it's the price people are willing to pay to get it from voultar. There are a few things which make it a little more expensive to produce namely the gold plating and the SD breakout. Also he has a proper shop and needs to pay taxes. That said the cost is still not even close to that...

If you can still dump using software, then you don't need the SD breakout. You also don't need the gold plating, with the standard hasl finish soldering should even be a little easier.

You can get a community one (without SD breakout and with hasl finish) for around 3€ if you know who to ask (or look into the trading area).

Reactions: Valery0p

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
At Voultars set the SD Tool is with gold plating. The NAND-AID isn't.
Which would make sense, at this is the only part where gold plating would help (because of the SD contacts)
But looking at his pictures, the one where he shows what is in the kit, it seems to have goldplating. The one where he shows them installed, were using one of my NAND-AIDs which had only HASL.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
at this is the only part where gold plating would help (because of the SD contacts)
The gold scrapes off pretty fast when you put/eject it into a SD reader anyway. Gold plating makes sense on connections not used much only. ;)
Don't believe me? Look at gold-plated contacts you use often under a microscope but don't be surprised seeing rust.

But looking at his pictures, the one where he shows what is in the kit, it seems to have goldplating.
Read the description on his website:
I manufactured the SD-Tool with HARD GOLD plating
no word about gold-plating on the NAND-AID.

//EDIT:
The one where he shows them installed, were using one of my NAND-AIDs which had only HASL.
Yea, he got that from a user which purchased one of your NAND-AIDs as he probably never ever soldered a NAND-AID for himself. Anyway, that user gives the rights to use that picture to anyone who asks, so you find that picture not only on Voultars website.

Last edited by V10lator,

skawo

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, I did a double-take when I saw the price he's offering it at as well.
Still not as bad as people offering "retro console capacitor kits" for $30, with like 2 cheapo caps inside, though.

Voultar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I designed these kits. They didn't materialize out of thin-air. These things take both time and money to produce. I've also given it away freely for anyone to use, make and even sell.

I don't understand how anyone could say that I'm "ripping" anyone off. I'm sorry I don't sell them for $0.35 a piece. Unfortunately, I need to be able to recoup my costs and make a living off of the things that I make. :rofl2::rofl2:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: they need to have a strong line up on the launch titles too. I think they should move metroid...