Wii U Homebrew Situation and FAQ

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by NWPlayer123, Jun 18, 2014.

1. TheChield

TheChield Ugly Troll

Jul 10, 2013
    France
    Thank you for your answers :)
    I thought the web browser exploit can make a stack attack ? (what core ?)
    It it the "user space" limitation that disallow the "well" defined jump to corrumpt ARM stack ?
    Do all core have the same right access ?
    Do all core have the same stack ? (well stupid question...)
    Corrupt "stack3" then corrupt "stack2" then corrupt "stack1" then corrupt "stack0" (ARM) then "profits" ?

2. Marionumber1

Marionumber1 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 7, 2010
    United States
    The WebKit exploit is not a buffer overflow, it's based on a use-after-free vulnerability. The use-after-free allows us to create a virtual method table in Javascript, which the WebKit code uses to make a virtual method call. The virtual method call goes to an address that we control from Javascript, beginning execution of the ROP chain. All of this happens on core 1 (the second core).

Being unable to access the IPC memory region doesn't prevent us from exploiting vulnerabilities in ARM code, but it may make it more difficult.

Yes, unless one of them performs a kernel syscall or loader call. These will temporarily elevate its privileges, but this privilege elevation is designed to make sure that the cores only go to addresses controlled by the kernel. A kernel or loader exploit would allow us to elevate the privileges of our code.

Each thread has its own stack, and no two cores can run the same thread at the same time.

More like this:

1. Use a WebKit exploit to get code execution in PPC userspace.
    2. Elevate privileges to PPC kernel-mode through a kernel-mode vulnerability.
    3. Exploit a vulnerability in an IOS module to get code running in ARM userspace.
    4. Exploit a vulnerability in the IOS kernel to get code running in ARM kernel-mode.
    5. ???
    6. PROFIT!!!

Margen67, the-green and filfat like this.
  3. TheChield

TheChield Ugly Troll

Jul 10, 2013
    France
    I know that 2 cores can't share the same threads but threads can attack each other :P
    So the OS Manages stacks for threads ?
    Isn't stacks some OSI low level use used by the OS ? (on processor level ?)
    Yes, my dream of finding an hypothetical direct breakthrough to bare metal execution can't be done...
    I was thinking to attack a thread that can have been called by some more elevated thread on an other core down to the ARM...

And I never spoke of an overflow, this can't be done...
    I spoke about a stack attack (but no "buffer" overflow which is stupid...)

4. Marionumber1

Nov 7, 2010
    United States
    I'm pretty sure that threads can overwrite the stacks of other threads in the same process, so yes.

Yes, when you create a thread a stack is allocated for it.

The stack holds the program execution state and function local variables for each thread.

When a thread performs a kernel syscall or loader call, it switches to a different stack which is inaccessible from normal userspace code. Stacks of ARM threads are also not accessible from userspace code.

5. TheChield

TheChield Ugly Troll

Jul 10, 2013
    France
    But you said that each thread as it's own stack ? A stack Stacks all returns a dresses (by definition) ? If you manage to corrupt the current stack, their must be some point of "double" return that could corrupt the ARM stack ?

Sorry to ask but you seem to have access to the CAFE OS dump...

6. Marionumber1

Nov 7, 2010
    United States
    Yes, you're right about how a stack is used. What I'm saying is that kernel, loader, and ARM thread stacks are located in regions of memory that normal userspace code can't access.

No, I don't.

7. Coto

Coto GBAtemp Addict

Jun 4, 2010
    Chile

Still stacks vary (physically) from different ARM cpu status modes. FIQ , IRQ, USER stacks can't access SYS stack (depending on the NX or other protection method running through the SYS thread). There are ways todo stack management through SRS opcode. IF the SYS processor mode allows it

8. Marionumber1

Nov 7, 2010
    United States

At this point, we haven't even gotten code running on the ARM yet. We're running in PPC userspace, which can't access ARM memory due to two reasons: MEMPROT and virtual addressing.

9. TheChield

TheChield Ugly Troll

Jul 10, 2013
    France
    Thank you for all your answers, it's a very interesting thread :)

Margen67 likes this.
  10. Skeet1983

Skeet1983 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 22, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere, out there...
    My System updated to 5.0, even when standby was disabled and the IPs at beginning of FAQ blocked through my Router. What can I do in future to keep system from updating?

11. Goku Junior

Goku Junior GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 27, 2013
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    I think with blocking IP servers and disable the auto downloading feature is enough.

12. TheChield

TheChield Ugly Troll

Jul 10, 2013
    France
    Why not just delete wifi configuration from Wii U ?

13. GorTesK

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    because that would disable all online functionalities lol
    and some people, like me, use their wiiu to play online and its browser to watch videos, post in forums n stuff ;p

Goku Junior likes this.
  14. TheChield

TheChield Ugly Troll

Jul 10, 2013
    France
    Ok, I thought the Wii U have to be updated to connect to internet.
    I only use mine to play games...

15. GorTesK

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    you only need to be up to date in order to use the eshop... you can block updates, if you dont need the eshop and then still use the browser, youtube app, game online functions and other online apps :)

16. Skeet1983

Skeet1983 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 22, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere, out there...
    My system updated to 5.0... Am I still safe to use possible Wii U homebrew in the future? Also, I have the following IPs blocked:

nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
    nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
    nus.cdn.shop.wii.com
    nus.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net
    nus.wup.shop.nintendo.net

Are those IPs all I need, or do I need to block more? Thoughts appreciated :)

17. Goku Junior

Dec 27, 2013
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Yeah, you will be fine!, check the thread hacking discussion, it says what is the latest safe firmware ;), for 5.0.0 there's not exploit yet, but it will get worked!.

18. Skeet1983

Skeet1983 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 22, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere, out there...
    I had some of those blocked previously, but system update still happened... Should I be worried about system trying to update itself in the future, even though I had standby turned off?

19. Goku Junior

Dec 27, 2013
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    It doesn't show something like "The server it's full" and it fails to update? that's happening to me.

20. Mackman

Mackman Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Sorry to bother.I can`t seem to get the answers I`m looking for and you seemed to know a lot about what to do around here.I recently got a Wii U and installed the homebrew channel and backup my enand,but I have questions about Wii U mode.My Wii U came with Mario Kart 8 and I updated my system to 4.1 firmware via Mario Kart 8 and I want to be able to use Netflix and Youtube app,but when I try to open up those apps it asking for a system update and I will do it if I have to,but I want to know what will work and what want work with the hack in vWii mode and what URLs to block and system settings to disable and still have access to the important things to me like Netflix,Youtube,and the internet browser which works on 4.1.