Hacking Wii U Homebrew Situation and FAQ

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I used this guide:

2gb Trancend SD, Smashstack (PAL version). Played ALOT of F-Zero GX (my reason for doing the softmod). Installed 16:9 HBC forwarders, all colors, installed Nintendont forwarder.

I also did the Stashstack PAL on my friends WiiU, worked fine there too.

Have not installed any other WADs.

Have HBC been reported to fail on other units running 5.5?

Thanks for sharing, I'll have to try this myself sometime. :P

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
This thread IS refering to vWii HBC, right.. or am I being clown here? :P
This thread is for asking about overall progress, which includes the vWii, technically.

There is no problem asking here, but there is a vWii thread, which is a more appropriate thread to ask this stuff. Be sure to share this guide in the vWii thread also. :P

Last edited by lonemoonHD,

Eva Unit-04

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is there way currently to add gecko cheat codes to the wii u eshop xenoblade chronicles? Can't load gecko 1.9.3.1 on the wii u homebrew.(not the virtual wii menu homebrew,but the homebrew on the wii u channel)

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'll drop this here too.
I just wanted to drop by and mention the following:

ddd dumps and RAM dumps (with PyGecko or TCPGecko) for NES/SNES VC ROMs are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from each other.

Here's the reason:

NES and SNES games have the ROM included inside the RPX file.
Now, the very same RPX file contains specific ARM code which functions similar to that of a IPS/Xdelta patch, or whatever patch you use for hacks.
The ARM code inside the RPX goes to a specific location inside the RPX file and replaces a particular set of bytes with a new set.

If you use the usual method of dumping ROMs by trimming down the RPX file, then you'll get the original, unmodified ROM of the game.
A clear example of this are both versions of Mother 2 and EarthBound, they use specific ARM code to modify certain lines of text in the game once the VC title is launched (sort of an on-the-fly patching).

Although, if you use the RAM dumping method in which you start at memory area 10 and start dumping, you will get the patched ROM!

Me and some other users from Starmen.net PK Hack forums did this and we did find differences between the original RPX trimmed ROM and the RAM dumped ROM for Mother 2.

So, if any of you guys plan on dumping both NES or SNES games, I suggest going for the RAM method of dumping the ROM to get the updated/patched version of the ROM.

Reactions: I pwned U!

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Q: If I want to block Nintendo's updates, what should I block?
A:
  • nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
  • nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
  • nus.cdn.shop.wii.com
  • nus.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net
  • nus.wup.shop.nintendo.net
Am I supposed to be able to get on the eShop with these blocked in my router?
My 3DS doesn't, but my Wii U does.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night