Wii U Homebrew Situation and FAQ

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Homebrew' started by NWPlayer123, Jun 18, 2014.

Jun 18, 2014

NWPlayer123 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Do not update past 5.2.0/5.3.0 if you can help it. Unknown if kernel exploit is fixed.
    Currently, we have a userspace exploit that can be compiled and run via the Internet Browser. It currently works on versions 4.0.0 to 5.1.0. This isn't very useful at all for anyone who isn't a developer. All it allows is basic access to reading and writing certain parts of memory (assuming it isn't protected) and basic library functions. We can't access the filesystem or likewise install or change anything on it. You have to run the exploit every time you want to do something. You can find the exploit here.

Frequently Asked Questions
    Q: How do I install the Homebrew Channel?
    A: Wrong place to be looking, you're thinking of the sandboxed vWii (virtual Wii). For more info go here and here.

Q: What is this?
    A: As mentioned before, it's an exploit that uses a bug in the (very old) version of WebKit that Nintendo is using for the Internet Browser.

Q: Why doesn't it work on anything after 5.1.0?
    A: We only ever found and developed one bug, and (I assume) Nintendo caught wind of the bug and patched it in 5.1.1. We would have to find another one that would lead to being able to manipulate the memory to be able to do anything more.

Q: What's the latest version the exploit works on?
    A: See above answer, it works on 4.0.0 through 5.1.0, and there are 3 separate versions for 4.0.X 4.1.0 and 5.X. It was first made for 4.1.0 and then later back-ported to 4.0.X, since some addresses had changed. Later, the update that added the Quick Boot Menu (5.0.0) changed the code structure enough that we had to blindly find our addresses again and rebuild the ROP chain to get code execution again.

Q: I don't want to miss out on potential homebrew, how should I update to a safe version?
    A: The recommended way is to use the disc version of Mario Kart 8 which comes with 4.1.0. Make sure your Wii U can't access the internet and then run the game and have it update with the data on the disc.

Q: I want to update to the latest version but I don't want to miss out, am I safe in doing so?
    A: NO. Do not update past 5.3.0 if you can help it.

Q: I haven't heard anything in a while, when can we expect to see progress?
    A: Everybody who has the ability to work on the kernel exploit or find and exploit a new bug is busy with school, so progress has been slow. Nothing has been cancelled, only that nobody's had any time to work on it. As for when you might hear something, probably sometime in December, since most of us get "Winter Break" to transition between semesters.

Q: Since the exploit is broken in the latest version, what are you going to do now?
    A: Finish it, of course. Just because it doesn't work on the latest version doesn't mean we're going to give up. It's still useful and usable on quite a few versions. We finish what we start.
    Last edited by NWPlayer123, Dec 8, 2014
    Margen67, Skeet1983, SrTommy and 14 others like this.

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Message Count:
    Germany
    blocking "nus.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net" has been working for me so far since 4.0.2
    Margen67 likes this.

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Message Count:
    United States

I thought that was just for the eShop, I believe you need to block a range of actual IP addresses...?

newersumm New Member

Message Count:
    Japan
    Gortesk your avatar still makes me pee in pants a little.
    Fantastic post otherwise NWPlayer! I hope all new users come here and read it.
    CosmoCortney and Fpsrussia117 like this.

NWPlayer123 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Nah, like I've said before, nus is nintendo's update service, it has nothing to do with the eShop, AFAIK that IP block is all of the IPs that that URL can use.
    Margen67 and the_randomizer like this.

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Message Count:
    Germany
    makes all system software update downloads fail for me
    Last edited by GorTesK, Jun 18, 2014
    Margen67 and the_randomizer like this.

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Message Count:
    United States

Well, that makes sense now :P

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Message Count:
    United States
    If it's anything like the Wii Shop Channel, then all the digital titles are also stored on NUS.

Fpsrussia117 New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    You should add to the title "NOOBS READ BEFORE POSTING"

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Message Count:
    Germany
    but if I remember correctly, someone actually found an url or ip recently, that prevents the wiiu from finding any updates..... the beforementioned url only prevents the download, but what he found actually prevented the update check... was just recently either in 5.0 update tread or 4.1 exploit leak or the hacking discussion thread... lol cant remember where, but it was a couple of days ago

hundshamer New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    If you find it, that would be great to add to the OP!

Etkar.H New Member

Message Count:
    Norway
    I don't know how to block URLs on my router, so I'll just turn off Standby download for now.

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Message Count:
    Australia
    it is it's for getting patches, updates for eshop games.

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Message Count:
    Germany
    • Reporter

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Message Count:
    Antarctica
    Modified the title a bit and stickied. NWPlayer123 if more obvious and repeating question start coming, add them in the OP :)

Goku Junior New Member

Message Count:
    Argentina
    Hi!, A little question, It would be possible to make a offline exploit in the future? Some user tell me I need to update my router with a firmware to block all the Nintendo adresses to make the Wii U don't update, but I've bricked it, so I don't have online for the web browser exploit, are some dev planning to do a non-internet exploit?

Yeah, I know they don't have the kernel or all system access, but I'm only asking, something similar like BannerBomb with Wii, but they need to hack the Wii U Filesystem format for that...
    Last edited by Goku Junior, Jun 20, 2014

Marionumber1 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    There aren't really any other entry points besides the browser. The browser is the only component of the system which is based on open-source code, giving us a great advantage in finding bugs. It's also one of the only places where we can feed untrusted input, since external storage is now encrypted. There is no way to "hack" it, since storage is encrypted with a per-console key. A game-based exploit is a possibility, if there are some games that access external storage without encryption, but it's highly unlikely that such a thing will surface.
    Margen67, filfat and Goku Junior like this.
    • Newcomer

the-green New Member

Message Count:
    Algeria
    thanks for the explanation & good luck in the futur
    just one question, are those leaked wii U SDK usefull for you or it doesn't since you don't have a kernel exploit yet ?
    thanks in advance for the answer

julialy Ehh, I'm so lazy.

Message Count:
    United States
    i don't think the legit people want to use the leak.

oh, and sdk is few help for kernel exploit.

Some1CP New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Sorry, but can anyone help me do this on dd-wrt? I already tried blocking addresses and IPs before and it didn't work.

SPONSORED LINKS