Wii U Homebrew Situation and FAQ

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by NWPlayer123, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Sammi Husky

Sammi Husky GBAtemp Fan

Jul 6, 2014
    United States
    Part of what made ocarina such a great tool for cheating was the power behind it. It did indeed cause alot of mayhem online, but it also allowed a myriad of great and innovative hacks in other areas. Many games weren't negatively impacted by ocarina, but sadly there will always be negatives. I fear without ocarina a great deal of games won't be possible to easily mod. Ocarina was a way to write easily write codes to directly read and write RAM. That in itself opens up huge possibilities for game modification good or bad.

The greatness in ocarina for me didn't come from cheating, i never used it for that. It's the experimentation and innovation that made it worthwhile.

2. TheChield

TheChield Ugly Troll

Jul 10, 2013
    France
    Quite impressive :)
    I think this is true.
    With only a user space hack, if you can't "really" run code, you can at leat modify the running one.
    Seems to be some string replacements and audio index changes. The reason why the demo crashes may be because they requested an unknown race to the server...
    It should have just return an error, I don't understand why it crashed... The CAFE OS should have handled this...
    Even if they don't seem to be interested in warez as they said, they seem to be able to find what they want in a running app and modify it...
    Some action replay website would be awesome (only for offline games...)
    Launch the game => open the browser => open the site homepage, choose you cheat code => profit !
    But people who made the browser exploit also have this... And I still don't understand why the 5.0.0 exploit is not released.
    You can't make a ROP without knowing what is currently in memory !?

3. NWPlayer123
    OP

NWPlayer123 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    Correct, if we don't know where the code we need to get it working is then we can't make the chain to link it all, that's all it is is a bunch of pointers to code that is right before a return command to give us back control, hence the "return" part. And there is no 5.0.0 exploit released because there isn't one in the first place :P

Marionumber1 likes this.
  4. TheChield

TheChield Ugly Troll

Jul 10, 2013
    France
    So you have a tool that dumps the memory, found the all the "return" opcodes with the 1-5 code operand before and didn't find any way to do what you want ?
    Thought those tools were released ? (the same that were released with the twilight hack ?)
    You're just kidding me ? ;)

5. NWPlayer123
    OP

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    No, we don't have access to any memory from v5, we were able to get it on v4.X because we had the binaries from someone else.

6. TheChield

TheChield Ugly Troll

Jul 10, 2013
    France
    And why don't you compile the binaries by yourself ?
    The sources are open...
    You drive me mad !

7. Marionumber1

Marionumber1 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 7, 2010
    United States

Only the WebKit component is open-source, not coreinit which we also need. There's also no guarantee that we'll produce equivalent code to what's on the Wii U, unless we use Nintendo's compiler.

8. TheChield

TheChield Ugly Troll

Jul 10, 2013
    France
    Ok ...
    You have access to 4.1 ?
    You have 4.1 binaries that seem to be the "real ones" ?
    You can't compile with different options until having the "right binaries ? (well, I've never been able to make the right same 1:1 binary by myself...)
    But With different binaries from the same source code, you can "unelf" the binaries and strip out the useless common code ?
    Objdump could be your friend... And PERL too :D
    compiling toolsuite is still the same.

I feel as excited as when the BBA GC hack was released :D
    Well an usb to ethernet adaptor will help...

9. rakichaneru
    This message by rakichaneru has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Jul 21, 2014, Reason: discrimination/disrupting thread.
    Jul 7, 2014
  10. jammybudga777
    This message by jammybudga777 has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Jul 21, 2014, Reason: reply to trash.
    Jul 7, 2014
  11. Relys

Relys Master of Computer Science

Jan 5, 2007
    United States
    Compiling a binary with the same hash is EXTREMELY hard because there's all sorts of production variables, timestamps and whatnot. Here's a really good write up of analyzing the TrueCrypt binaries to audit them for backdoors. https://madiba.encs.concordia.ca/~x_decarn/truecrypt-binaries-analysis/

The 4.1 binaries we have are the real ones. I guess someone could compile the 4.1 WebKit source with Nintendo's compiler from the SDK and do a similar analysis to the decrypted 4.1 binaries. We could then figure out the differences and compile the 5.0 WebKit source. We would still need addresses from coreinit, but this would narrow down the amount of addresses we would need to bruteforce. It's more likely that we'll just work on dumping Starbuck OTP from 4.1 though.

Marionumber1 likes this.
  12. MicahAnderson

MicahAnderson Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 11, 2012
    United States
    how do you install it am on the right firmware but cant figure out how to

13. NWPlayer123
    OP

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    If you don't understand that it's not installing anything then you shouldn't be doing anything with this.

14. MicahAnderson

MicahAnderson Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 11, 2012
    United States
    why not :( i got some mario Kart 8 hacks on my friends wii u setup i just need to work out the bugs but for some resin it wont work on mine

15. jammybudga777

jammybudga777 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 23, 2013
    yea i setup the hacks too on 3 different console's just now i cant install it to mine :P lool

16. Dr.Hacknik

Dr.Hacknik Maniac | Dev | A Fellow (lewd) Megumin

Mar 26, 2014
    United States
    my lewd corner
    I'll have to think about blocking those IP's, any ways thats nintendo primary goal, to patch/block homebrew, but why!?

17. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Nintendo has zero tolerance policies towards hacking and other modifications in general, to allow their consoles to be open to such hacks would lead to illegitimate usage. Whether people agree with them or not, Nintendo will never change their stance on hacking/homebrew. You're better off simply blacklisting their server IP addresses.

18. Dr.Hacknik

Mar 26, 2014
    United States
    my lewd corner
    Now that you cleared up ill go block those ip's, but i'll wait tell i get the homebrew channel on my wiiU, but my old wii is heavily modded!

19. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Can never be too sure, best do it as soon as possible.

20. Rinnux

Rinnux GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 3, 2010
    United States
    Be sure to block the following urls as well
    • nus.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net
    • nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
    • nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
    • nus.cdn.shop.wii.com

21. Dr.Hacknik

Mar 26, 2014
    United States
    my lewd corner
    K, how should i block them. I use a Netgear Wifi Router (Options to block are: block services(IP) & block sites).

22. Rinnux

Rinnux GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 3, 2010
    United States
    Click block sites and it should give you the option to block a url. Just enter those, I know they dont look like urls but they are.