Wii U Homebrew Situation and FAQ

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by NWPlayer123, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Skeet1983

Skeet1983 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 22, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere, out there...
    Even with those IPs blocked, I can still access the eShop... I thought that with those blocked, access to eShop would be denied... What should I do? I want to make sure system won't try to update itself again so I can use Wii U homebrew in future...

2. Goku Junior

Goku Junior GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 27, 2013
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    nus.cdn.shop.wii.com
    nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
    nus.wup.shop.nintendo.net
    nus.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net
    Try to block this Ips.

3. EmceeKerser

EmceeKerser GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 3, 2014
    The fuckin' Blue Mountains brah

Why dont you read the first post of this thread?

4. Mackman

Mackman Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Okay got the updates blocking answer I was looking for.

I`m on 4.1 firmware still and I can`t get Neflix app or Youtube app to work in Wii U mode without updating 5.0.I want to know if I update to 5.0 will those apps work then and most important will I still have Homebrew channel install or will it delete it?Maybe I can just use old Netflix wad from on old Wii and install in vWii U mode.Is that possible?

5. Sammi Husky

Sammi Husky GBAtemp Fan

Jul 6, 2014
    United States
    So uh, has anybody seen this? Just figured i'd see if this is actually something new or not :P

6. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Unknown
    Doesn't really explain HOW they actually hacked it though, does it

Margen67 likes this.
  7. Sammi Husky

Sammi Husky GBAtemp Fan

Jul 6, 2014
    United States
    It does in the description of the video. Apparently "This work is based on the recently released browser exploit, and some additional code that Chadderz wrote to get arbitrary kernel reading and writing, to allow the browser to edit Mario Kart 8's memory on-the-fly." Pretty sure it's real, this was a stream and they were doing requests in the stream for what to change the track names to.

8. julialy

julialy Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    Those guys are credible
    They are the ones that reverse-engineered Mario Kart Wii

9. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Unknown

Ah, interesting, so maybe, just maybe, something similar could be done to other games, like Smash Bros, but even then, that's quite a stretch. Still, the preliminary step to minor hacking.

Margen67 and Celice like this.
  10. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    welp that's it it's over for mk8 now the cheaters will be taking over soon. didn't last last either :glare:

11. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Unknown

Uh...I doubt that's going to happen for a very long time. No need to panic or freak out about it :rolleyes: Not to mention Nintendo bans people online for cheating by blacklisting the IP address. Really, don't worry lol.

12. Bug_Checker_

Bug_Checker_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2006
    United States
    Here's mrbean35000vr twitch feed http://www.twitch.tv/mrbean35000vr/c/4603672
    and a downloadable archive
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Margen67 and Celice like this.
  13. Bug_Checker_

Bug_Checker_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2006
    United States

Dynamic ips from most isps can be changed too easily just by making changes to the cable/dsl main router defaults(port forwarding etc) Then rebooting with new changes usually results in lease release and new ip.

14. Bladexdsl

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    yeah like that stopped them in mk wii....

15. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Unknown

Again, we can't do anything about it, panicking about is isn't going to make the situation better. Really, now, what will it accomplish? My hell..

Can you personally control what other people do? No? Then calm down.

Margen67 likes this.
  16. Bladexdsl

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    i'm not panicking thse hacks just disgust me. they couldn't fucking help themselves they had to find a way to potentially cheat. fucking pathetic it is!

17. Sammi Husky

Sammi Husky GBAtemp Fan

Jul 6, 2014
    United States
    It's likely that there eventually will be cheaters, however these people in particular have no intention of allowing cheating online. Dunno if you watched the video or read the description, but "Remember guys: We're not going to be encouraging cheating with this and won't let our work be used for it. Our goal is to make game mods; custom tracks, etc. Relax and enjoy what we come up with :)" and "None of this is in any state to be released at present, and it's unlikely that we ever will in the interest of preventing cheaters :P"

Just chill, it's not really their fault that people are gonna hack the game. Someone somewhere was EVENTUALLY gonna do it. better them and at least try to prevent cheating then someone else who does it specifically for cheating right? :P

What im more interested in was how they did it, i wanted to know exactly what they meant by "arbitrary kernel reading and writing"

Margen67 and the_randomizer like this.
  18. Bladexdsl

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    and how is he going to stop cheaters when his practically opened the door for them?

19. Sammi Husky

Sammi Husky GBAtemp Fan

Jul 6, 2014
    United States
    However they come up with? perhaps by not releasing it at all as they already stated? The fact remains that it is inevitable. Even if they themselves do not create this, somebody will. It's better to just resign to the fact that it's gonna happen than cry over milk that hasn't even been spilt yet. Not saying you in particular are, i can just forsee this turning into a debate that isn't relevant to this thread where other people likely will. Whatever happens happens, it's only a matter of time.

Furthermore, there are likely more safety features involved then just banning your IP. Nintendo would probably ban your Nintendo ID as well, or other failsafes. We simply don't know. Only time will tell. Personally im only interested in furthering the technology we already have and pushing the boundaries of what is possible on the Wii U. :)

Margen67 likes this.
  20. Bladexdsl

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    i'm all for homebrew but i do not support any tools that will or can be used for cheating. like that fucking ocarina program on the wii that was the start of the end for online...