Wolvenreign

Transhuman Satanist Furry Technocrat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey folks.

Well, it seems speculation is flying back and forth with speculation on whether or not the 3DS will be hackacracked in the same fashion the DS was, and whether or not a fountain of R4 clones will burst forth from the geyser of piracy known as teh interwebz.

I'd just like to put my 2 cents down on the matter; regardless of whether the 3DS is hacked soon or a long time from now, we will still have to wait for the new generation of memory cards. Thus far, we have been using storage devices such as MicroSD and MicroSDHC (High Capacity). However, the maximum size for a MicroSDHC card is 32 GBs, whereas your standard 3DS game is 2 gigabytes. This means that one will be able to hold a maximum of 16 (if that) games on one SDHC card! Pretty cramped in comparison to our current options, wouldn't you say?

Anyway, yeah, just letting this out there. 'Till Next Time!

-Wreign

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I would think 16 games on a card is plenty. How many games at a time do you really need? I mean sure, you might have 75 odd games on your card now, but if you look at the ones you actually play on a regular basis vs. the ones that are just sitting there, the former will be far less then the later. Lets not forget the earliest flashcards in years past were much more cramped then this, yet people still used them.

The only thing that dictates how long it will be until a 3DS mode cart comes out is how secure the system is. The first working cart will sell like crazy irregardless of storage limitations.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People are just too easily distracted from games I guess.

I've been using a 4GB and a 2GB memory stick for my PSP for the longest time, and a good deal of PSP games are 1+ GB (with PSP game sizes topping out at 1.7GB).

At this point there aren't enough 3DS games to fill up your cart probably and I can see the system not getting as many games as the DS did.

Plus, putting like 3-4 3DS games on a 8GB card doesn't sound bad.

Stevetry

Most perverted person in GBATEMP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:

I've been using a 4GB and a 2GB memory stick for my PSP for the longest time, and a good deal of PSP games are 1+ GB (with PSP game sizes topping out at 1.7GB).

At this point there aren't enough 3DS games to fill up your cart probably and I can see the system not getting as many games as the DS did.

yea just because there lots of game it does not mean you play all i have a 16gb micro SD and i just have 8 ds games on it after i finish a game i take it off is as simple as that

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:

How is that possible? The 3DS JUST got out.

And how can 16~ games be not enough? I'm pretty sure that even 3 3DS games can occupy a lot of your time.

raiderscrusade

Trophies
XP
Country
Who says all the games are 2GB?

No one knows the exact size of 3DS Games yet, as none have been dumped.

Who knows, some might hit the 2 GB some might be less, some might not even be 1 GB.

We have to wait and see once the games get dumped. Until then, we can't really say much.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Where are you getting the 2GB game size from? (curious, not saying your wrong)

And I'm guessing that the 2GB is the size of the cart itself, much like we have 256MB and 512MB DS games that can be trimmed down to something like 150MB and 300MB respectively.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
How is that possible? The 3DS JUST got out.

I'm talking about in its lifetime. Games will probably cost more to make than they did for the DS, require more production, and that's why it probably won't be getting as much as the DS did. Mind you, a lot of those games that made up the DS release list weren't worth bothering with, so it's not a big deal, but there's people who feel like playing every release for a console, especially one like the DS which was easy to pirate for (small game size, maybe $20 tops for a decent flashcart and SD card, and you're set).

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the "standard" price for 3DS games seems to be 40 dollars, about 5 dollars more than first-party DS games.

In other cases, like Puzzle Bobble, they'll still be at 30-35 dollars.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
2gb is the maximum size at launch
Gee, why is so many people saying it's an average or a minimum?

And you can't say you play 16 games at the same time. That's bullshit.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
I'm talking about in its lifetime. Games will probably cost more to make than they did for the DS, require more production, and that's why it probably won't be getting as much as the DS did.

How is that any different when going from GBA to DS, GBC to GBA, or even from PSP to NGP?

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DiscostewSM said:
Guild McCommunist said:
I'm talking about in its lifetime. Games will probably cost more to make than they did for the DS, require more production, and that's why it probably won't be getting as much as the DS did.

How is that any different when going from GBA to DS, GBC to GBA, or even from PSP to NGP?
Yea, 3DS may even see more games.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I highly doubt that's what's holding anyone back from finding an exploit on the 3DS.
- This never stopped piracy on the PSP.
- There are other legitimate reasons for hacking the 3DS (i.e. homebrew).
- The size of the cards are 2GB, but the actual size of the games are less. The rest of the space contains dummy files to make up the total of 2GB. This is how ROM trimmers work, by removing these dummy files.

Honestly, the biggest problem would be trying to play pirated games online. If I ever get a 3DS, I'll be buying my games from now on, regardless of hacks or exploits.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't mind only having one game at a time. Those of us who owned GBA flash carts should be used to this anyways, not to mention it was a real pain in the ass to transfer ROMs onto the flash cart.

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
nutella said:
Honestly, the biggest problem would be trying to play pirated games online. If I ever get a 3DS, I'll be buying my games from now on, regardless of hacks or exploits.

Are you ignoring the problem of uh... PLAYING THE GAMES AT ALL? Is everyone on this forum retarded? Why is the discussion about possible storage formats and such when there's no evidence it can even be hacked at all? It's pointless. Really this whole forum should be shut until theres something to discuss.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)