OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wait, what?!
The masterkey is out?
I didn't read the news for the last two days. If we can now unlock instead of reseting and reflashing a backup, that's a great news.
Pretty much. Long story short, the key's out and unlocking is possible using the Raspberry Pi kit (the Arduino kit will follow suit, the code is currently being tested). It's not just a simple unlock though - in addition to locking the NAND, the bricking code also disabled writing capabilities. This is why a workaround has been implemented - the unbricker unlocks the NAND, dumps its contents, cleans it with a force erase which re-enables writing capabilities and flashes it with the image it just dumped.

Reactions: Qtis and Cyan

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Thread has been slightly updated with information regarding Gateway Omega 2.1 and 2.2 which are currently the recommended Gateway firmwares and are said to be free of the bricking code according to mathieulh. It still requires a facelift, but it will do for now.

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thread has been slightly updated with information regarding Gateway Omega 2.1 and 2.2 which are currently the recommended Gateway firmwares and are said to be free of the bricking code according to mathieulh. It still requires a facelift, but it will do for now.

You forgot to edit the MT-card info. It still says only v.1.0 is the only safe version for it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You forgot to edit the MT-card info. It still says only v.1.0 is the only safe version for it.
I'm not a 100% sure if v1.2 is copy-pasted from Gateway or not so I haven't, I didn't miss it, it was intentional. There haven't been any reported bricks on v1.2, but I don't see anyone actively checking the firmware for brick code either.

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not a 100% sure if v1.2 is copy-pasted from Gateway or not so I haven't, I didn't miss it, it was intentional. There haven't been any reported bricks on v1.2, but I don't see anyone actively checking the firmware for brick code either.

Fair enough. I think it's their own work though. While omega's was able to support both zelda VC games and HarmoKnight straight out of the gate, theirs didnt until they got a hardware update to go with the software one. Not 100% conclusive proof but way better then R4i gold deluxe promising Gateway features by christmas (maybe they meant christmas of 2014:tpi:)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Fair enough. I think it's their own work though. While omega's was able to support both zelda VC games and HarmoKnight straight out of the gate, theirs didnt until they got a hardware update to go with the software one. Not 100% conclusive proof but way better then R4i gold deluxe promising Gateway features by christmas (maybe they meant christmas of 2014:tpi:)
MT-Card does innovate on their own, but from what I recall, they coincidentally included functionality similar to Gateway's release and the time window between the two was extremely small. I'd love to say that it's 100% safe, but I'd rather if someone relevant to the scene would confirm those suspicions.

EDIT: Due to some additional information surfacing, Omega recommendation has been retracted until further notice.

vagueheart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Hey I would like to say thank you so much for this thread.
It has helped me better understand the situation and all :)

I haven't got a gateway yet, was trying to grasp what is going on now.
Hopefully omega is safe!

vagueheart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
From what was gathered so far the bricking code is still there but it was polished to the point that you cannot trigger it by accident. :)

Yep I just saw the thread : http://gbatemp.net/threads/more-tha...d-bricks-should-i-get-a-gateway.365665/page-4
On the last few post, Mathieulh said sth about finding the brick function and stuff like that.

I'm not a coding/technology student lol. I study accounting and all these stuff are so confusing XD
(Would have loved to be a hacker if I knew how cool I could be if I learnt that as a child, muahaha~)

Hopefully there will be more updates from these awesome guys regarding the brick function :)
Having more information would be good.

If it has been polished to that extent that would be great!
But until someone has trigger it (hopefully not by accident), then we would never know how safe it is right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: 1st of what?