Hacking Nintendo Switch Banning Hub & Warning

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My plan here is:

1) Boot into emunand CFW with pirated games along with DNS blocking and Incognito (I see that Atmosphere config can do this too, so incognito isn't really needed... but the result is the same with PRODINFO is blocked/blanked). I also will be going online to use things like Tinfoil or Homebrew etc. I know I can't play online games or use the Nintendo eShop here.
[EDIT: Looks like Atmosphere PRODINFO blanking is broken, just an FYI that Incognito is needed to do this still]

I also want to be able to:

2) Boot into sysnand OFW with bought games. Get online to play online and use the eShop. I don't plan to do anything piratey on sysnand OFW. I won't be using Incognito on sysnand.

Would this plan work? Is there anything I need to do to protect myself from a ban whilst online in emunand CFW?
Prodinfo blanking is generally "broken", so also incognito, not just atmosphere prodinfo blanking. Its also not broken in the way that it leaks the serial, but in the way that nim will crash with its enabled and you connect to a nintendo server, which you should probably prevent with a nand where prodinfo blanking is/was used anyway. You could also see it as a good indicator about if your dns mitm works, since as long as it works, prodinfo blanking will not cause a crash, only the moment you would connect to nintendos server, showing you something needs to be fixed.

Also you don't need to use sysnand ofw, you can also use sysnand cfw, just be carefull with mods and make sure to not install nsps/xcis of any kind (you could for example set the sysnand to dark and the emunand to the light theme). That way you can still use for example sysdvr or sysclk while going online, and use tools to reboot into emu/sysnand without needing to get the switch out of the dock. (I'm running synand cfw only online for years now, with just homebrew and a few system modules).

Last edited by RednaxelaNnamtra,
  • Love
Reactions: impeeza and eddz

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
They only appear hear if they got banned. Imagine the vast majority that haven't been

Yes. I was talking about here. That's the joke.

Prodinfo blanking is generally "broken", so also incognito, not just atmosphere prodinfo blanking. Its also not broken in the way that it leaks the serial, but in the way that nim will crash with its enabled and you connect to a nintendo server, which you should probably prevent with a nand where prodinfo blanking is/was used anyway. You could also see it as a good indicator about if your dns mitm works, since as long as it works, prodinfo blanking will not cause a crash, only the moment you would connect to nintendos server, showing you something needs to be fixed.

While prodinfo blanking can cause a crash when connecting to Nintendo's servers, it's significantly worse than the alternative; connecting to Nintendo's servers and doxing yourself. It's still a layer of security I recommend. As of 17, it became necessary to use DNS to prevent the crash, but that doesn't nix the primary purpose of blanking your prodinfo.

Also you don't need to use sysnand ofw, you can also use sysnand cfw, just be carefull with mods and make sure to not install nsps/xcis of any kind (you could for example set the sysnand to dark and the emunand to the light theme). That way you can still use for example sysdvr or sysclk while going online, and use tools to reboot into emu/sysnand without needing to get the switch out of the dock. (I'm running synand cfw only online for year now, with just homebrew and a few system modules).

If you are going to see how close can fly to the sun, just remember to post your findings in this thread, if you find out how close was too close. Totally see the merits, but the risks can culminate pretty quickly once you open up that sandbox.

Last edited by tabzer,

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you are going to see how close can fly to the sun, just remember to post your findings in this thread, if you find out how close was too close. Totally see the merits, but the risks can culminate pretty quickly once you open up that sandbox.
I mean atmosphere is designed to be used online, the atmosphere devs use it online, multiple friends of mine use it online, I use it online, all of them for many years by now. Even generally there are many people with either homebrew only sysnand setups, or dual setups, with sysnand cfw for normal use and emunand for unsafe stuff.
If you are carefully about what you are doing, it's pretty safe for years by now. It's also why atmosphere even bothered to implement all the telemetry blocking of creport and fatalin the first place.
This is btw the stance about it from the atmosphere team:
Instant ban:
• Piracy of any sort (**If you're wondering whether something counts, the answer is almost certainly yes.**)
• Homebrew NSPs: See above.
• Changing user icon through homebrew
• Sketchy eShop behavior

Ban-bait (not always an instant ban, but can get you banned/restricted):
• Modding online games, except in some niche circumstances
• Cheating in online games
• Clearing error logs after they've been uploaded to Nintendo (this extends to using both emummc and sysmmc online, due to mismatched logs)

Not a ban, so far:
• Atmosphere, online or offline
• Most homebrew, online or offline
• Custom themes
• Custom sysmodules (sys-ftpd-light, missioncontrol, SysDVR, fizeau, etc.)
• Mods/cheating in offline games
• Overclocking with sys-clk (just don't do it competitively, for all of our sakes)
• emummc

We just don't know enough yet:
• Modifying PRODINFO, or using the experimental PRODINFO dummying included in Atmosphere 0.11.2 and later.
• Using sys-tweak to change game icons (which may be sent to Nintendo)

Also about the prodinfo blanking, I know, that's why I added to his prodinfo blanking is broken part, and essentially said, you can that it's broken as an indicator that your dns blocking is not working, and you need to fix it. Still, it should only be enabled for nands that's are not meant to connect to Nintendo ever, don't use it on the online nand, it might leave more traces, then normaly booting cfw.

Reactions: tabzer

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, but Occam's razor says those people simply don't realize what they did, but it was more than simply running homebrew. If running sysnand in cfw mode, any sysmodules you have setup for emummc, are still running in sysnand if you're in cfw mode. Tinfoil is homebrew, and not necessarily an .nsp, but it still installs itself to the home screen when you run it, and WILL ban you the next time you open the e-shop. incognito messes with your prodinfo. Opening OFW even once while incognito is active can trigger a log, since Atmosphere isn't intercepting the err reports.

Mods, cheats, installing any kind of fake ticket (you've done that if you see it on your home screen), and perhaps certain sysmodules while online. That's what gets you banned.

You cannot prove that something doesn't exist. But you can prove that something does exist, or did happen. So point me to the homebrew that caused a ban. I have no problem trying it on my not-banned OLED. It's not about lying, it's about ignorance.
That is precisely what Occam's Razor is for. You cannot assume they did more than just homebrew because you lack proof they used more than just homebrew. You personally running the same homebrew and not getting banned doesn't prove they were not banned for running the same homebrew; it only proves you were not banned for running the same homebrew. Its already been proven not everyone is banned for performing the same action or even at the same time.

If you really want to state that you cannot prove something that doesn't exist, then you further support my point because evidence of those users using more than just homebrew doesn't exist. But at the same time, that point doesn't even make sense in the first place. If you cannot prove something doesn't exist, then what about magic? As stated multiple times, one's own personal experience does not outweigh others. It's not about lying, it's about ignorance and ignorance is a two-way street.

k28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Rebuild a nand is one of the ban causes.

Why do you think you need a factory reset?
i ment rebuild nand from scratch. just use prodinfo and prodkeys. how would nintendo differentiate a rebuildnand and orig nand anyways? are there alot of ban reports? which methode did they use to rebuild?

what about factory resetting?

a frind of mine used tinfoil on sysnand and now he wants to go only with emunand.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
i ment rebuild nand from scratch. just use prodinfo and prodkeys. how would nintendo differentiate a rebuildnand and orig nand anyways? are there alot of ban reports? which methode did they use to rebuild?

what about factory resetting?

a frind of mine used tinfoil on sysnand and now he wants to go only with emunand.
If you read past posts you will learn the reported causes of ban:

• Having NSP installed on your system which you are not buy from store.
  • Using cheats and mods on your games when you go online.
  • CONNECT TO NINTENDO servers with a console which currently no have telemetry logs which previously was send to N servers. so if you rebuild a NAND all logs get lost and next time you connect to N servers that discrepancy will be noted and your console get banned. a factory reset doesn't clear telemetry logs (but telemetry logs include any NSP you installed on the past)
  • using Tinfoil on your SYSNAND is a warranted ban because the first time you run tinfoil that virus install a NSP without your knowledge nor consent (That's a virus behavior)

Reactions: BigOnYa

k28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
so when i have a ofw switch and my nand corrupts(happens often) and im fixing it by rebuilding the nand nintendo bans me because telemetrie data is missing? sounds a bit harsh, almost illegal.
revived at least 10 ofw switch(patched v1 and mariko, so definitly ofw only) by rebuilding nand this year. no complaints so far. hope it stays that way.

is there any tool whic can delet telemetri?
is using daybreak leading to a ban?

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
so when i have a ofw switch and my nand corrupts(happens often) and im fixing it by rebuilding the nand nintendo bans me because telemetrie data is missing? sounds a bit harsh, almost illegal.
their service their rules, you accept them when you signup

is using daybreak leading to a ban?
No body has reported that yet.

Reactions: BigOnYa

RouterRoidz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi. I'm new to Switch modding. Here's how I plan to use it, am I safe from bans?

Legit games and online on OFW, and homebrew and edizon on SysMMC. I don't plan to do things such as piracy or anything of that sort.
Do you think I should take the extra steps to get EmuMMC? (stupid question i know), and is there any precautions I should take

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Maybe but is it worth it?