Hacking Why can't we have the 5.5.1 Kernel Exploit while IOSU is being worked on?

RMZK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Many people are selling their Wii U's today. Something needs to happen here. Not trying to sound entitled, but its time.
Selling a console just because there is'nt piracy in the current firmware is stupid. if they had the money to buy a $250 console, I don't see the problem with buying one or two $40 games. Just with Xenoblade X they'll have enough hours to spend until something is relased. It is nice to have usefull hombrew apps and OS customization..... and some pirated games that are not good enough too be bought (for example I have physical copies of all the important 3ds games even special editions, but i'm not going to pay for chibi robo or some shitty shovelware mario... yes I'm talking to you Mario & Luigi Paper Jam XD.) but not having tHeM pAireTz it's not enough to be a pussy.

MrRean

WiiU Helper / Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am unfortunate to announce that no kernel releases will happen for a while, the basic answer to what was going to happen soon was literally "nothing". I don't see why NWP made that "weekend" thing an actual thing (which GBATemp is horrible at reacting to), because it just makes it worse.

srry bbys, i tried

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am unfortunate to announce that no kernel releases will happen for a while, the basic answer to what was going to happen soon was literally "nothing". I don't see why NWP made that "weekend" thing an actual thing (which GBATemp is horrible at reacting to), because it just makes it worse.

srry bbys, i tried
The kernel exploit should become semi-private, imo.
Don't make it a full blown release, but don't keep it too private.

Doing something like that would probably be beneficial to the community once the kexploit is released.
Sure, there are some risks involved, but there are ways to prevent them too.

MrRean

WiiU Helper / Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, it's technically already like that. If they're trusted and they are actually going to use it for something rather than go "OGM LUK I HAV EXPLOIT" then sure, it can work out. (this doesn't mean to run up to use saying that they're trustworthy, seriously.)

Does this mean we're back to the waiting game of exploit #2 or a Nintendo patch?
not even I know the answer to that question.

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this mean we're back to the waiting game of exploit #2 or a Nintendo patch?
I guess so, we have ample documentation on the kernel, just need to find more bugs
spoiler, I've never made an exploit before cause I'm self taught and still learning, my method right now is seeing how I can overload function calls to pass in data it doesn't expect, MN1's one goes the route of using parallel processing/concurrent programming against the system, not actually sure how it works, just that it does, there are lots of ways to go about it

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, it's technically already like that. If they're trusted and they are actually going to use it for something rather than go "OGM LUK I HAV EXPLOIT" then sure, it can work out. (this doesn't mean to run up to use saying that they're trustworthy, seriously.)
How can one be proven to be trustworthy then?
As for "actually going to use it for something", can you define that, please?

MrRean

WiiU Helper / Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How can one be proven to be trustworthy then?
As for "actually going to use it for something", can you define that, please?
you'd have to be trusted by somebody who is close to MN1, (not naming names) and said person that is close to MN1 is trusted, and the person trusted needs trust the person that wants it. :P

Reactions: Supster131

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you'd have to be trusted by somebody who is close to MN1, (not naming names) and said person that is close to MN1 is trusted, and the person trusted needs trust the person that wants it. :P
Oh well :P I guess I'm SOL for the time being.
Thanks for the information though!

TheDylantula

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess so, we have ample documentation on the kernel, just need to find more bugs
spoiler, I've never made an exploit before cause I'm self taught and still learning, my method right now is seeing how I can overload function calls to pass in data it doesn't expect, MN1's one goes the route of using parallel processing/concurrent programming against the system, not actually sure how it works, just that it does, there are lots of ways to go about it

Well, here's to you finding an exploit in the near future *clinks wine glass*

darklordrs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well this is..

sad.

I engaged the hype for all of 48 hours and it died this fast..

realquickedit: know that this is not a complaint or whine to the people working here, u do whaf u do. im just gonna sit here and be salty

Last edited by darklordrs,

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've gone over it my head many times and I don't see a scenario where it doesn't get leaked if they expand their circle a bit. Think about it, they don't truly KNOW any of us. I could easily VPN into a secure off site location then proxy to China and open a new account and post a file or link on here. It's not rocket science.

Now having said that...

They have their own reasons for hanging on to it. Whatever they are, it doesn't matter. The person who developed the exploit owns all their own projects. He/she doesn't owe any of us anything. Whatever they give us, be grateful and wait for more.

You are responsible for the choices you make. No one else. Even if someone told you to update on here. They didn't push the button or force your hand. You have to use your brain and make a decision and then LIVE with that choice.

I updated without doing my research and paid the price. I was lucky enough to find a 5.4u and bought that. Now I have two. 5.5.1u and 5.4u. That's what responsible adults do. "Why cry over spilt milk?" Get up off your ass and do something about it.

You can't get a new wii u? Then learn to code and find your own exploit. There are a ton of great tutorials online to get you started.

If programming isn't your cup of tea and you don't have the resources (or the cunning :) ) to get a new wii u then you have one choice... Wait and in the meantime STFU

Hikari06

Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
I've gone over it my head many times and I don't see a scenario where it doesn't get leaked if they expand their circle a bit. Think about it, they don't truly KNOW any of us. I could easily VPN into a secure off site location then proxy to China and open a new account and post a file or link on here. It's not rocket science.

Now having said that...

They have their own reasons for hanging on to it. Whatever they are, it doesn't matter. The person who developed the exploit owns all their own projects. He/she doesn't owe any of us anything. Whatever they give us, be grateful and wait for more.

You are responsible for the choices you make. No one else. Even if someone told you to update on here. They didn't push the button or force your hand. You have to use your brain and make a decision and then LIVE with that choice.

I updated without doing my research and paid the price. I was lucky enough to find a 5.4u and bought that. Now I have two. 5.5.1u and 5.4u. That's what responsible adults do. "Why cry over spilt milk?" Get up off your ass and do something about it.

You can't get a new wii u? Then learn to code and find your own exploit. There are a ton of great tutorials online to get you started.

If programming isn't your cup of tea and you don't have the resources (or the cunning :) ) to get a new wii u then you have one choice... Wait and in the meantime STFU

Yeah of course the dev owns his code, I won't argue with that. You cant' blame him either for updating you own system.
But that does not prevent you from expressing your own frustation considering that the exploit should have been kept secret since it has been held back for about a year now. What's the point of teasing it so soon otherwise ?
Laughing at people who are getting impatient ?

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Rodrigo Sousa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Look, ugh another thread of this.
If they release it, Nintendo would patch it since they didn't still end Wii U support, and all entrypoints would be dead, and I bet that they most use some entry points of Kernel for IOSU, just wait don't complain

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Think about it, they don't truly KNOW any of us. I could easily VPN into a secure off site location then proxy to China and open a new account and post a file or link on here. It's not rocket science.

Now having said that...

What? How does proxying off China for a VPN to open an account and post links have to do with anything? It may as well be Rocket Science because I'm not sure what point you're trying make.

Like leak wise? the leaker could do this? why, that's not the point. I don't think people do not leak stuff because they think it will be traced back to them. They just don't.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What? How does proxying off China for a VPN to open an account and post links have to do with anything? It may as well be Rocket Science because I'm not sure what point you're trying make.

Like leak wise? the leaker could do this? why, that's not the point. I don't think people do not leak stuff because they think it will be traced back to them. They just don't.
Pretty sure my point was lost on you. I was saying that if they expanded the private release to more users and expected them all to keep it private someone would most likely leak it.

Reactions: KiiWii

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Still a few hours left until I can go home and play some more Stellar Blade :'( +1