Hacking Why can't we have the 5.5.1 Kernel Exploit while IOSU is being worked on?

NexoCube

Trophies
XP
Country
France
This section of GBATemp (Wii U Hacking) really need a vocabulary post in the stickies.

Exploit = ???
Kernel Exploit = something that permits to have the Wii U kernel permission
IOSU = The Wii U "OS"
IOSU Exploit = The same that the kernel but with Wii U Permission

OMFG

GX2 = Wii U graphic Engine
Loadiine GX2 = Basic Loadiine with GX2 usage for the GUI

HBL = Homebrew Launcher (For Wii U)
HBC = Homebrew Channel (for Wii / vWii)

And finally :

Hykem = Biggest liar of 2015/2016
@NWPlayer123 , @Marionumber1 , @Mathew_Wi , @MrRean = Great and comprehensive people

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Hikari06

Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
There is no reason to keep 5.5 kernel private, since we already have them on another firmwares, the kernel is not released to the public because it doesnt exist.

I was hunting and trying to develop myself until I realized that it doesn't exist, so I gave up and bought a 5.4.0 wii u.

Stop creating these 5.5 kernel topic because it doesnt exist.

Enviado de meu Atari usando Tapatalk

Well, considering the people involved in developing a kexploit did manage to get one working for the previous fws I don't think they're lying to us. They just have not released it yet.

NexoCube

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, considering the people involved in developing a kexploit did manage to get one working for the previous fws I don't think they're lying to us. They just have not released it yet.

Porting kernel exploit isn't hard at all. The only thing that is disturbing is manage to get a working hex value for KERN_WRITE and KERN_READ

Moritz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Yes, when they (or someone else) finally achieve to hack 5.5, they release it and you all think they were holding it since 2015.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Porting kernel exploit isn't hard at all. The only thing that is disturbing is manage to get a working hex value for KERN_WRITE and KERN_READ

Thats exactly what I was working on, I still have my 5.5 wii u to try I few things before I sell it.

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The real question is "why do people keep updating?!"

Everyone wanted an exploit for 5.3.2, we got it eventually, at a time where it was easy to buy an exploitable Wii U on a lower firmware and update to 5.3.2

Then people who updated to 5.4 for Mario Maker got a second chance with a 5.4 exploit too.

It will happen sooner or later, if you got an exploit now this second, what are you going to do? pirate few games? ...
Kind of. While I do agree with you on that if people updated to 5.5 if they owned a 5.3.2 or 5.4 WiiU, Wii U's now come with 5.5 out of the box. So your logic doesn't apply for those who bought a Wii U that came with 5.5.

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lmao I literally said how to get it within 3 minutes of disassembling the kernel, syscall 0x24 and 0x25, last 3 instructions of ReadRegister32Ex and WriteRegister32Ex, heck, I even gave you the 5.5 addresses
http://gbatemp.net/threads/firmware-reverse-engineering-info-dump.421827/page-6#post-6259139
They only give away the extra they have to give away and not the one and only.
I still stand by this but you can only put up with so much whining

NexoCube

Trophies
XP
Country
France
lmao I literally said how to get it within 3 minutes of disassembling the kernel, syscall 0x24 and 0x25, last 3 instructions of ReadRegister32Ex and WriteRegister32Ex, heck, I even gave you the 5.5 addresses
http://gbatemp.net/threads/firmware-reverse-engineering-info-dump.421827/page-6#post-6259139

I still stand by this but you can only put up with so much whining

Oh, i know, ihave these, i was just chilling xD (i don't even know what chilling mean, but sounds great in this context)

Reactions: NWPlayer123

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I've been following along on the user end of different console hacking scenes since PS2. I worked with user end homebrew on a hardmodded ps1. It's always the same with exploits no matter the console. They only give away the extra they have to give away and not the one and only. This has to get worse unfortunately as newer consoles come out, security gets more and more complex, and the number of available viable exploits goes down. If you don't think this is true, look at the cat and mouse chase between Sony and the Vita or the original Xbox days when MS would go so far as motherboard hardware revisions to stop any kind of modding. It's not fun trying to stay on top of that mess for anyone, or getting trapped on firmware that exceeds the current exploitable one. It's my opinion and a good call by the devs to hold back as long as possible to make sure the greater number of people can enjoy their hard work.
You're delusional. Regular system stability updates didnt even become a thing until this last gen. In none of those scenes did any hacker say they were reserving an exploit because it might get patched. Take your xbox example, the same exploits work for all 6 major hardware revisions. Its the same buffer overrun that bunny released in the beginning and even told Microsoft about. The 360 has been hardware hacked since way early in its life. Your own argument falls flat with the psp and vita, there wouldnt be a cat chase if they didn't release exploits. Darkalax released one on most every fw version up to the Pandora battery and even released the keys. I could go through just about every system. But like I said, you don't know what you're talking about.

Regarding the 3DS, that had the benefit of a hardware option long before any custom firmwares came out. I'm sure that heavy foothold was a blessing to the scene. The Wii U doesn't have this. Your comment about stability updates just reiterates the exact reason I refer to as to why it shouldn't be released. There's nothing ready to make use of it yet, and the next stability update will come out and patch it, and push a lot of less intelligent people to 5.5.2.
The 3ds didn't have a hardware downgrade option until everything was released. It was only capable of restoring official nand dumps. Intelligent people that want exploits don't update to begin with. Again, why wait for the next stability update if they won't release one because they don't have to?

As for your last comment. Grow up and have a decent respectful debate. Flaming doesn't make your argument stronger. It just makes you look arrogant and like you have to bully people into accepting your point of view.
Something about arrogant posts that have absolutely no truth to them hit a button with me. You want respect, don't say how irritating it is to respond to the same threads over and over, while responding to that very thread, and not even doing a bit of research. I'm not telling you you have to accept my "opinion". I'm telling you you're wrong.

FusionGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This has been the same with every console exploit ever.
Nope! Wii devs always released exploits on the latest firmware. Hell, I think it's the same even for 3DS.

Exactly like mine, I have a 5.5.1 kexploit, I am not releasing it until I can find a way to keep it off GBAtemp out of spite for the scene lording over people.
Oh great. Another one who's indirectly killing the Homebrew scene.

I think its safe to say: RIP Wii U Homebrew scene. You were fun while it lasted. Oh wait some of us never got to try anything out.

Last edited by FusionGamer,

MrRean

WiiU Helper / Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope! Wii devs always released exploits on the latest firmware. Hell, I think it's the same even for 3DS.

Oh great. Another one who's indirectly killing the Homebrew scene.

I think its safe to say: RIP Wii U Homebrew scene. You were fun while it lasted. Oh wait some of us never got to try anything out.
hey there mr.negative

nice to see you back.

Last edited by MrRean,

darklordrs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man all I wanna do is mod Smash 4 but you babies are gonna ruin that for me if y'all keep up with these dumb threads. Just pipe down and play/do other stuff. Let the peeps who are working on the exploit release it when they can.

This seems like the most aggressive first post I've ever seen, and I wouldn't put it past some of the current users to create a new account just to say riskier shit, but hey:

Welcome to GBAtemp! Get an icon and get a filter because this site is full of aggro shitheads a lot of the time.

Cocaine Biceps

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This seems like the most aggressive first post I've ever seen, and I wouldn't put it past some of the current users to create a new account just to say riskier shit, but hey:

Welcome to GBAtemp! Get an icon and get a filter because this site is full of aggro shitheads a lot of the time.
I've been a lurker for a couple months now to keep up with the 3ds and Wii U modding scene. I've always ignored this stuff but now its getting me tight lol

darklordrs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a couple months
image.jpeg

are u pickin a fight mate

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users