Hacking Why add anti-piracy measures to Devolution ?

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Only the first 8 bytes or something like that are needed, there's a reasonable chance that the scratches don't cover those particular bytes provided the disc isn't completely destroyed.
Was it not established earlier that the game's apploader (and perhaps some other files on the disc) also need to be read before disc verification can occur? If so, that would require reading much more than eight bytes.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Only the first 8 bytes or something like that are needed, there's a reasonable chance that the scratches don't cover those particular bytes provided the disc isn't completely destroyed.
Was it not established earlier that the game's apploader (and perhaps some other files on the disc) also need to be read before disc verification can occur? If so, that would require reading much more than eight bytes.
I am not clear as to whether the apploader is run from the disc or from the ISO. In fact, it must be from the ISO seeing as it is before the disc verification check, and it happens on already verified discs (but at the point the apploader runs, verification hasn't been checked). If it was loaded from the disc, the disc would always need to be inserted to load the game. (In other words, the apploader is always loaded from the ISO, then the AP/verification checks take place, if necessary the disc is verified, then the rest of the ISO is run). Obviously this is just my assumption, but it seems only logical.

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Well, what seems unclear here is what exactly needs to be read from the disc in order for the disc verification check to pass.

What seems to make sense to me is that there are actually two AP checks, one to verify that the disc itself is genuine, and another, later, AP check which requires the presence of a valid, previously generated, security file (.DVV) on the hard drive (which shows that the disc has already been successfully verified as genuine).

The less information that needs to be read, the greater the chance that a scratched disc will be able to be verified by the initial AP disc check.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
There is the point, too, that once you read the first 8 bytes of the retail disk you have the GameID and two more bytes that include the disk1/2 information and at least something else. Since it's, at best, extremely difficult to tamper with a retail disk, once you know that much I'd figure you know what disk is actually in the drive.

The apploader is ALSO on the disk image (unless the disk images is really messed up which would fail the test anyhow.) and for all I know, the apploader may be signed with the GameID, too. The GameID may be written into a number of files in the disk image for that matter. Another option is that seeing what information the apploader spits out when it starts is part of the test so the DVV file can't actually be written until after the game is already in execution.

Like you, I'm only speculating but it seems to me it could still do just fine with just a few reads at the beginning of the disk. I think the disk's checksum is also written near the beginning which in and of itself should be enough to check the whole disk image but it doesn't seem to take enough time to verify for it to be hashing the whole contents of the disk.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I doubt tueidj will reveal too much information regarding the matter. The less information there is about the process, the less information there is to use to start working on bypassing the process. However, I am fairly sure that all that NEEDS to be intact on the disc is the first 8 bytes. [Note that it is still possibly/probably technically illegal to download an ISO from the internet (depending on country and stuff), but frankly I don't care about that. Provided I had bought a game, my morals would allow me to download it from the internet, regardless of the law. I've downloaded ROMs of games I legally own before, and I may well do again. Where possible I rip/dump anything I need myself (mostly to save time and bandwidth, and ensure proper rips/dumps), but I have no moral opposition to downloading something I legally own. That is all irrelevant though. Maybe I shouldn't post so late at night]

Reactions: 2 people

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I doubt tueidj will reveal too much information regarding the matter. The less information there is about the process, the less information there is to use to start working on bypassing the process. However, I am fairly sure that all that NEEDS to be intact on the disc is the first 8 bytes. [Note that it is still possibly/probably technically illegal to download an ISO from the internet (depending on country and stuff), but frankly I don't care about that. Provided I had bought a game, my morals would allow me to download it from the internet, regardless of the law. I've downloaded ROMs of games I legally own before, and I may well do again. Where possible I rip/dump anything I need myself (mostly to save time and bandwidth, and ensure proper rips/dumps), but I have no moral opposition to downloading something I legally own. That is all irrelevant though. Maybe I shouldn't post so late at night]
That's how I feel. I prefer to rip my own discs, but if I can't get them to rip correctly I don't have a problem using the internet. I take much better care of my games now that I have a backup loader though, since I really only take them out of the case on a few occasions.

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
or just go out and buy a bigger hard drive xD

Went out and bought a bigger drive...now the fun can begin :D

Jec0P.png

Reactions: 1 person

sion_zaphod

Ex-Galactic President; confidence trickster; etc
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know if this is news in this forum. But I found a couple of things while messing around with my HDD after ripping a few disks with clean rip and then using Devolution to verify a rip.

First I am not a noob I just remain silent most of the time. And only speak out about something I want to. This GameCube USB loader has a lot of potential and could be the replacement for DIOSMIOS everyone is waiting for. So please if anyone uses the information I give to corrupt the further development of this software I take no reposibility. That said here is what I found:-

I ripped Super Mario Sunshine (pal) using CleanRip then I loaded devolution loader and verified the disk by placing my disk in the tray. The game loaded fine, and the next time I run the game I'd ejected the Disk and it still run fine. I decided that if I was going to write an anti piracy routine I would go about it in one of three different ways:
1 - I would store a hidden encrypted file on the device where the game ISO was stored
2 - I would store a hidden enctypted file on the NAND of the Wii
3 - All of the above

The file would contain something that uniquely identifies your wii e.g.(mac address) and also the ID code of the game and the ripped ISO size.

Anyway when I had a look at my HDD on my PC I dis a scan for any files with the hidden attribute and noticed a few things.

1 - On the root of the drive used to rip game with CleanRip was two hidden files GMSP01.BCA and GMSP01-dumpinfo.txt
2 - In the folder /Apps/Gc_devo/ was another hidden file GMSP00.DVV (this file is not readable apart from the first characters of the file which are GMSP01)

GMSP01 is the ID code for Super Mario Sunshine (pal)

Anyway maybe someone out there can do something with that info.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It is already widely known about the DVV files. Trying to edit them or move them or copy them or anything like that invalidates them and you have to verify the game again. The other files you mentioned are from CleanRip, nothing to do with Devolution and Devolution ignores those files.

As for writing to NAND, I doubt tueidj would unnecessarily make any sort of modification to the NAND of the Wii.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I don't see why copying the file somewhere else and back is something bad.
Its already bound to the wii (afaik).
and binding it to the hdd can be done more easily and reliably using eg its serial.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see why copying the file somewhere else and back is something bad.
Its already bound to the wii (afaik).
and binding it to the hdd can be done more easily and reliably using eg its serial.

What would be stopping anyone from verifying one game and then copying that dvv with gameIDs edited to match all their pirated isos?

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't know if this is news in this forum. But I found a couple of things while messing around with my HDD after ripping a few disks with clean rip and then using Devolution to verify a rip.

First I am not a noob I just remain silent most of the time. And only speak out about something I want to. This GameCube USB loader has a lot of potential and could be the replacement for DIOSMIOS everyone is waiting for. So please if anyone uses the information I give to corrupt the further development of this software I take no reposibility. That said here is what I found:-

Bit late I'm affraid. All that info you gave is allready known.
A note about what is bold in the above quote, WHY would this be a replacement for DIOS MIOS? They can work side by side without any problem.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
What would be stopping anyone from verifying one game and then copying that dvv with gameIDs edited to match all their pirated isos?
the ID in the beginning is easily changable without triggering this useless fragility (hex editor)
I assume it will not work
because I would depend the encrypted part on all three factors Wii(serial or key), HDD (serial) and game(id)

lovewiibrew

Sifjar is a pirate
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

A note about what is bold in the above quote, WHY would this be a replacement for DIOS MIOS? They can work side by side without any problem.

I have noticed a lot of fanboy-ism. I don't know why this is. DIOS MIOS compatibility is far better at this point, yet so many act like Devolution is the greatest thing ever. Dont get me wrong it's a great program but it's like some people get a boner from it or something.

Reactions: 5 people

kamala

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I have noticed a lot of fanboy-ism. I don't know why this is. DIOS MIOS compatibility is far better at this point, yet so many act like Devolution is the greatest thing ever. Dont get me wrong it's a great program but it's like some people get a boner from it or something.
Exactly my point. Tbh I don't even bother trying this.If you look at the big picture this software it's at a very early stage and the stream audio thing doesn't bother me enough to swap DM for this and if it does I just insert the Retail disc and play from it and problem solved. It means no ripping, verifying discs and even more not worrying about DVV's. I think what people feel is the enthusiasm of something new.

Sylar1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy crap at this topic :wtf:

Do i think the AP thing is stupid? Yes

Does it really matter? Nope since there is already Dios Mios and DML, two alternatives that don't require AP. So Devolution or whatever having AP isn't really a big deal, let him have his AP and just use either Alternatives. It would only be a problem if Devolution was the only way to play GCN games.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: hey sylv? do you know why gameyob crashes on the EZP?