Hacking Why add anti-piracy measures to Devolution ?

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States

Maverick Lunar X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
on that note though, I think there is a much larger "demand" for this to be cracked than Riivolution. Honestly, I've never used Riivolution, because I didn't really care about patching a game on the fly when I can just patch an .iso instead.

Reactions: 1 person

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
From what I've gathered thus far, I'm going to guess that the AP involves a few different steps, perhaps storing data in the NAND temporarily, if not permanently, as well as making a record of the time stamp on .DVV files, maybe inside the hash? I'm also thinking that, along with certain information from the disc, it uses the console ID, and maybe even the MAC address in generating the harsh. I'm guessing that the AP is convoluted enough that it won't be broken anytime soon.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think the AP protection will ever be cracked at this rate.
I never understood why you thought it would be. Riivolution still hasn't been cracked.

I wanted a gamecube USB loader with audio streaming support that doesn't require trivial authentication processes which end up corrupting hard drive sectors. Then I read how Crediar is working on implementing it into Dios Mios and have since began to wait for that. There isn't a snowball's chance in hell of Devolution being cracked, unless someone can find out how to bypass or trick it into not making .dvv files.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Riivolution was never protected, it was only compressed using dollz (which is a freely available and well known app) to reduce the size by more than a third. Anyone who says they "cracked" it is just talking themselves up, all you have to do is load it in dolphin and dump the memory after the decompression function has finished.

Reactions: 1 person

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't think the AP protection will ever be cracked at this rate.
I never understood why you thought it would be. Riivolution still hasn't been cracked.

I wanted a gamecube USB loader with audio streaming support that doesn't require trivial authentication processes which end up corrupting hard drive sectors. Then I read how Crediar is working on implementing it into Dios Mios and have since began to wait for that. There isn't a snowball's chance in hell of Devolution being cracked, unless someone can find out how to bypass or trick it into not making .dvv files.
'Cause changing a conditional jump to a normal jump isn't done all the time in the hacking scene to make programs bypass registration checks, etc.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cause changing a conditional jump to a normal jump isn't done all the time in the hacking scene to make programs bypass registration checks, etc.

Therein lies the issue; programs like Devolution use very peculiar methods/code which, when executed, produce the aforementioned fragile DVV files which must remain in a specific location at all times. So far, I can think of two very hard-to-crack (if not impossible) things with strong encryption, the 3DS and Devolution.

gtmtnbiker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@the_randomizer - you clearly don't know what you're talking about when it comes to hacking programs so why don't you just be quiet and lurk?

If someone wanted to hack Devolution, they need to find the places where the AP checks are implemented and just jump over them like Rydian mentioned.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@the_randomizer - you clearly don't know what you're talking about when it comes to hacking programs so why don't you just be quiet and lurk?

If someone wanted to hack Devolution, they need to find the places where the AP checks are implemented and just jump over them like Rydian mentioned.

Do you have any suggestions on how to hack it? Yeah, that's what I thought. You don't have any authority over me, so I don't have to just lurk.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

Do you have any suggestions on how to hack it? Yeah, that's what I thought. You don't have any authority over me, so I don't have to just lurk.

You should at least try to read the posts you reply to

Reactions: 3 people

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Cause changing a conditional jump to a normal jump isn't done all the time in the hacking scene to make programs bypass registration checks, etc.
Therein lies the issue; programs like Devolution use very peculiar methods/code which, when executed, produce the aforementioned fragile DVV files which must remain in a specific location at all times. So far, I can think of two very hard-to-crack (if not impossible) things with strong encryption, the 3DS and Devolution.
The problem with that is that Devolution doesn't decompile easily. I'm guessing part of the machine code is un/re-encrypted, compressed and/or moved around at runtime so FINDING where to put those unconditional jumps might just be as hard as making your own DVV files.

I'd say that even if it is cracked, those with the knowledge to be able to figure it out would also recognize the hard work it takes to put such a well assembled AP together in the first place and would not be willing to release the cracked version. I would assume it's a similar appreciation for the work that goes into game creation that led [member='tueidj'] to put the AP in place in the first place, to protect the author's intellectual property. Heck, [member='tueidj'] may actually work for a game developer himself. You never know.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the other thing, why do authors hold on to IP when they no longer benefit from it? Take for instance games no longer in print, used sales don't generate any revenue towards the company, no profit is lost, and the only one who gets money are the second-hand shops. It's a dead console and money is neither is nor lost.

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
That's the other thing, why do authors hold on to IP when they no longer benefit from it? Take for instance games no longer in print, used sales don't generate any revenue towards the company, no profit is lost, and the only one who gets money are the second-hand shops. It's a dead console and money is neither is nor lost.
Because the law allows it and they can? IMO, IP laws ought to be gutted and their length significantly shortened. Some IP owners may also seek to generate future revenue from reselling old software (like VC games).

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Because it's still illegal.

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Take a look at Apple's recent patents on technologies which have prior art: http://www.decryptedtech.com/news/apple-wins-a-ban-on-the-galaxy-tab-77-in-the-eu-despite-prior-art-and-clear-differences

Legality is often a matter of having the best litigators rather than abiding by the principles of justice.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: