Hacking Why add anti-piracy measures to Devolution ?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: 1 person

snikerz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lesotho
I don't think the AP protection will ever be cracked at this rate.
It already is. There's just no point in releasing it ATM - the person who cracked it will at least wait for Wiimote support before wasting all effort on a version which is worse than DM in terms of compatibility.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It already is. There's just no point in releasing it ATM - the person who cracked it will at least wait for Wiimote support before wasting all effort on a version which is worse than DM in terms of compatibility.

That was fast, but yes, very smart of him to wait until Wiimote support is added.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
That was fast, but yes, very smart of him to wait until Wiimote support is added.
If he's waiting because he's afraid that [member='tueidj'] will stop developing it if it's leaked, I would say it would have been best to wait until it's a nearly perfect product as far as compatibility. (basically, when he, himself, says he's not going to continue working on it further.)

If he's waiting because he's afraid that he'll tighten security when he finds out how it was cracked it may have been a better idea not to have mentioned it at all and not given him reason to further tighten security just yet in case he's actually able to figure out where the hole in his security was without actually seeing the cracked release. (In other words, "sorry, too late to avoid that one").

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're going to crack a difficult encryption and not release it, then mentioning (see: bragging) doesn't do jacks**t for those legit users want a cracked version. If he truly respected tueidj, he never would have cracked it in the first place, now would he?

lex luthor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're going to crack a difficult encryption and not release it, then mentioning (see: bragging) doesn't do jacks**t for those legit users want a cracked version. If he truly respected tueidj, he never would have cracked it in the first place, now would he?
Maybe the this person is sharing this crack with his friends by pm and telling them not to tell anyone who knows :D

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe the this person is sharing this crack with his friends by pm and telling them not to tell anyone who knows :D

It's still a douchebag thing to do. It's like winning a million dollars without telling anyone how you did it and adding to the insult by not sharing it. Oh, and if he's sharing the cracked program with his friends, then that's being a bloody hypocritical wanker.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
who cracked it B-)
He doesn't want his name mentioned.
Legit users who want a cracked version? If you want an unofficial version, you aren't a legit user. And he does respect tueidj, people just do stuff to see if they can.

Stop acting like people with scratched discs or broken drives are getting cheated. I'm repurchasing most of my games so I can use Devolution, but you don't hear me whining about it. I accept it and am buying the games because I am excited to make more use out of his app. If I had a broken drive, I would spend $30 on a replacement one.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't help the fact that this program corrupts hard drives. What about those discs that are listed as compatible but don't get verified? Why should I have to repurchase games I already legally own?

Again, the guy shouldn't have mentioned decryption.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't help the fact that this program corrupts hard drives.
I'm pretty sure that is still a rumor.
What about those discs that are listed as compatible but don't get verified? Why should I have to repurchase games I already legally own?
That's the way things work. If you buy something, then break it, you can't use it anymore. It's your own fault that your discs are scratched (same applies to me).
Again, the guy shouldn't have mentioned decryption.
Well it wasn't supposed to get out. He mentioned it to a few people, myself included, with the request that we not spread it around. AFAIK, I was the only one who listened. It probably would have been better if he hadn't mentioned it (then we wouldn't have people like you complaining about how selfish it is), but he was excited.

But it doesn't really matter anyway. Don't get pissy because someone respects tueidj enough to not release his closed source code.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I cracked it ... wait ... no ... that's not true ... I forgot ... never mind ... :shy:

It's still a douchebag thing to do. It's like winning a million dollars without telling anyone how you did it and adding to the insult by not sharing it. Oh, and if he's sharing the cracked program with his friends, then that's being a bloody hypocritical wanker.
Personally, if I won a million bucks I wouldn't go publishing it on the internet. I don't really like the ideas of a whole bunch of people showing up at my door looking for money. I'm sure the same goes with him. He doesn't want a flood of PM's asking for a link. Unless you're one of the people he personally informed of this (not me) and you personally feel he has a good reputation or he gave you pics, links, etc, you can't even be sure it really happened (this is the internet after all).

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cracked it ... wait ... no ... that's not true ... I forgot ... never mind ... :shy:

Personally, if I won a million bucks I wouldn't go publishing it on the internet. I don't really like the ideas of a whole bunch of people showing up at my door looking for money. I'm sure the same goes with him. He doesn't want a flood of PM's asking for a link. Unless you're one of the people he personally informed of this (not me) and you personally feel he has a good reputation or he gave you pics, links, etc, you can't even be sure it really happened (this is the internet after all).

You know what I mean, unless he has proof, his claim is as valid as a fully functional PS3 emulator.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Cause changing a conditional jump to a normal jump isn't done all the time in the hacking scene to make programs bypass registration checks, etc.
Therein lies the issue; programs like Devolution use very peculiar methods/code which, when executed, produce the aforementioned fragile DVV files which must remain in a specific location at all times. So far, I can think of two very hard-to-crack (if not impossible) things with strong encryption, the 3DS and Devolution.
Yeah, see, there's a major difference.

3DS - We cannot debug the firmware. We have no emulation/debugging environments capable of running the 3DS firmware to inspect.

Wii Software - We have dolphin, which not only has a built-in debugger (run it with the d argument), but runs in windows meaning you can attach third-party tools to it (though of course built-in functions are often best as you don't need to do address translation and shit). As far as not running everything in an emulator (in regards to homebrew which uses hardware outside of what Nintendo's SDK does), I've heard that Normatt has a version of desmume he modified to be able to test AKAIO in, so it's not outside the realm of plausibility at all.

That's the other thing, why do authors hold on to IP when they no longer benefit from it?
It's automatic.
http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#mywork
http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-duration.html#duration

Personal challenge, prove it can be done, etc.

Stop acting like people with scratched discs or broken drives are getting cheated.
This. If your disc is scratched to the point that it won't verify, then it's not going to fully work on an actual GC/Wii (breaking depending on where the scratch is and such).

I'm tired of that shitty logic. If this program didn't exist your scratched discs wouldn't be useful anyways.

Reactions: 2 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    mmm, sounds good
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its not a brownie, and its not a cake, so what is it- Texas sheet cake.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I tried making chocolate lava cakes the other day in cupcake pan, what a mess, my lava exploded out of the cakes everywhere while baking, was still ok tho, just no lava inside.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We had our grandkids over yesterday and I got a small above ground swimming pool I filled for them to play in. Well today I woke to find 3 ducks swimming around in it. Don't mind really but they are annoyingly loud, quack quack. Gotta drain it today. Guess what were having for dinner, lol.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lol
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    BBQ'd 🦆
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also i'm sorry your molten lava cakes failed
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    just looked up a pic of texas sheet cake, and it looks delicious
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    🌋 Science Project?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i think i might need to try making lava cakes for the 4th of july fr
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I used butter instead of vegetable oil, and think that's why they squirted out during baking, who knows
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah i think oil is the right call
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    plus if you're making brownies or lava cakes for people with dairy allergies, you should use oil instead of butter anyway
    +2
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @BakerMan Make me a space cake plz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I make rum cake for 4th July every year, I make it a week prior and then soak it in rum in the fridge all week. I flip the cake each day, and add little more rum, it soaks it up everyday, so good.
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sorry, idk what you mean by a space cake, and even if i did, i'm not really taking requests right now, because otherwise people will get mad at me for taking a request but not making a birthday cake for @Xdqwerty (i'm sorry for that btw bro)
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @BakerMan lies, you just want to smoke it

:rofl2:
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Guess all the food in my fridge can knock out a cow or two
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I should visit Florida again, miss the alligator barbecues
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me and wifey was deciding on our next vacation, so I hung up a map on the wall, and give her a dart and said, wherever you hit, we will go. She threw the dart and it missed the map completely and fell into a trash can below on floor. So I said "ok Florida it is."
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 ohhh a pot cake?
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Gimme some of dat
    +3
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh yeah i don't use weed,in my baking or in general
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides isn't it usually gummies or brownies?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: besides isn't it usually gummies or brownies?