Hacking Why add anti-piracy measures to Devolution ?

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is invalid with "I want to spend $1000 per console generation, and then I will stop buying games". People have budgets for everything else, why not games? Once your budget is reached, it doesn't matter at all if you pirate or not. I could "go without" those games, but please tell me how that is better for the developer. If I get their game and enjoy it enough, I might buy it next generation, if they make a sequel. By going without, I'm ensuring that I also don't buy the sequel. Also, if I am running low on remaining budget, piracy would help decide which games are worth spending the rest of the budget on. Therefore, the developer with the best game gets the money.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the most selfish argument in favor to piracy I've ever seen. I would accept that only if you had a strong, 0% BS economical plan. But I used to work in the economical field, I know people waste money all the time. And that's fine because it's normal, but please cut me the bullshit of "I'm not wasting money on the hard work of developers" while drinking your daily 3$ coffee.

What developers, those developers who get no money from Gamecube games that are no longer in production? I'm surprised this topic is still open.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What developers, those developers who get no money from Gamecube games that are no longer in production? I'm surprised this topic is still open.

Copyright law is still in the decades range, games get remade and reissued in various forms all the time and the existence of this program alone would seem to suggest virtual console is an option. With all that there is very unlikely to be a judge that will buy that argument.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Copyright law is still in the decades range, games get remade and reissued in various forms all the time and the existence of this program alone would seem to suggest virtual console is an option. With all that there is very unlikely to be a judge that will buy that argument.

The legal argument and the ethical argument are two very different things. The argument is over how guilty you should feel if you pirate, not how much trouble you could get into.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No argument there, however the ethical thing seems to amount to "whatever your personal ethics are" and that is not likely to get anywhere. For some reason the "because why not", "because I can and it is easy enough" and "why wouldn't I" options seem to have fallen out of fashion in favour of whatever the piracy equivalent of straight edge* and "I'm just a poor kid/20 something/I have bills".

*if you are unfortunately enough to care and live in a country with software patents such a thing is surprisingly hard to do, or at least surprisingly easy to fall foul of.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Just saying is all, never mentioned copyright at all, I was just stating that the developers don't get any money from second-hand copies of Gamecube games. That's all. I never mentioned anything about justifying it, I'm stating the fact that no one but second-hand retailers get revenue, the copyright still stands. If my post implied otherwise, that was not my intent.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just saying is all, never mentioned copyright at all, I was just stating that the developers don't get any money from second-hand copies of Gamecube games. That's all.

In context it looked like a response to general piracy stuff. I do not really consider second hand an issue though (they never would get any money from it and very little law says they even should) and will tend to rail against those that equate it to bad things.

As for copyright there it was intended more as "society has given content creators decades in which to grind out some money from their works, 15 years is not even close and thusly it could be argued that such things impinge upon their rights under copyright as far as diluting the pond for a reissue and whatnot".

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In context it looked like a response to general piracy stuff. I do not really consider second hand an issue though (they never would get any money from it and very little law says they even should) and will tend to rail against those that equate it to bad things.

As for copyright there it was intended more as "society has given content creators decades in which to grind out some money from their works, 15 years is not even close and thusly it could be argued that such things impinge upon their rights under copyright as far as diluting the pond for a reissue and whatnot".

I don't have anything against used games either (and have many myself), people make it sound like it's piracy, and is a spurious claim. With that said, what people do with their money or time when it comes to games is none of my business.

it is worst than piracy no one makes money from piracy but people make money from selling used games wich is basically selling someone else intellectual property without there permission or giving them any part of the profits.
Yeah I'm going to let people wallow in that mentality and let them mull over that second-hand purchase is somehow worse than piracy despite that fact the only people who get the money are second-hand retailers. That and Gamestop is the legalized form of the black market :creep: There's no sense in trying to convince people otherwise. Second hand games' revenue doesn't even go to the companies. The games are no longer in production (finite no. of games in circulation), why should you care what others do?

http://gbatemp.net/threads/piracy-common-myths.344858/

Good day.

c3pu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't have anything against used games either (and have many myself), people make it sound like it's piracy, and is a spurious claim. With that said, what people do with their money or time when it comes to games is none of my business.

it is worst than piracy no one makes money from piracy but people make money from selling used games wich is basically selling someone else intellectual property without there permission or giving them any part of the profits.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it is not worse than piracy. The used game market fuels the new game market. People sell their used games and then use that money to purchase new games, thus money from that transactions still finds its way to game developers.

Reactions: the_randomizer

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Except if you sell me a game (rather than lease or something) I have permission to resell it, or at least no court has ruled against it. Also if you think nobody makes money from intellectual property piracy you are sorely mistaken.

Hozu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why does this thread still exist?...

Well now that the Wii U will have a GC controller adapter, maybe they'll offer a VC service for GC games? Takes away the excuse of "money doesn't go to devs" for the released games at least.

c3pu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No, it is not worse than piracy. The used game market fuels the new game market. People sell their used games and then use that money to purchase new games, thus money from that transactions still finds its way to game developers.
Wow do you work at gamestop? Because that's the same kind of shit that these mofos would tell me back when i worked there(notice past tense here). If not they really did a great job at convincing you of their bullshit. A new game will only get sold once a used game can get sold 20 times, no way that this wheel turning theory of yours compensate for that many lost sales. Plus in general people that sell back there games 9 times out of 10 will buy used over new if given the choice(i worked in several of those places, so i know).

Except if you sell me a game (rather than lease or something) I have permission to resell it, or at least no court has ruled against it.
i would go and say you technically cant, ever notice that games that come bundled with something else usually have not for resale written on them. but indeed i am not aware of any court ruling going against it so lets just say its a nice big gray area.
fyi: no editor would be stupid enough to go in court for that they would get destroyed by gamestop. they would stop selling that editor's game altogether new or used, like they did with the psp go because there was no physical drive on it so they couldn't make money out of it.

Also if you think nobody makes money from intellectual property piracy you are sorely mistaken.
true that. but if people are stupid enough to buy fake shit that's there problem not mine. if your gonna pay for something at least buy the real thing.

EDIT: sry it is late just re read the thing. what i meant by that is no one makes money from people downloading old games iso or roms from there computers. of course if you buy a fake cartrige or dvd of course some one is making money.

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
GameStop does not even sell games anymore... Why are so many people in this topic assuming GameStop the almighty seller of games?
Quit getting off-topic!
Devolution < DIOS MIOS
- AntiPiracy | PiracySupport

Problem solved.
Go get the right program.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wow do you work at gamestop? Because that's the same kind of shit that these mofos would tell me back when i worked there(notice past tense here). If not they really did a great job at convincing you of their bullshit. A new game will only get sold once a used game can get sold 20 times, no way that this wheel turning theory of yours compensate for that many lost sales. Plus in general people that sell back there games 9 times out of 10 will buy used over new if given the choice(i worked in several of those places, so i know).

i would go and say you technically cant, ever notice that games that come bundled with something else usually have not for resale written on them. but indeed i am not aware of any court ruling going against it so lets just say its a nice big gray area.
fyi: no editor would be stupid enough to go in court for that they would get destroyed by gamestop. they would stop selling that editor's game altogether new or used, like they did with the psp go because there was no physical drive on it so they couldn't make money out of it.

true that. but if people are stupid enough to buy fake shit that's there problem not mine. if your gonna pay for something at least buy the real thing.

EDIT: sry it is late just re read the thing. what i meant by that is no one makes money from people downloading old games iso or roms from there computers. of course if you buy a fake cartrige or dvd of course some one is making money.

If someone would trade in a game to help buy a new one then by definition it fuels markets. You might have issues with the cuts they take at given points but that is a different matter. If such things are allowed (and I argue that in a second) then the only lost sales are lost sales compared to those sales that happen in the magic fairly land alternate reality,

On the grey area there have been rulings in the EU saying it is all good. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/03/eu_court_secondhand_licence_ruling/

Reactions: grossaffe

c3pu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
GameStop does not even sell games anymore... Why are so many people in this topic assuming GameStop the almighty seller of games?
Fuck you say? Gamestop as over 6000 stores over the world. There one, if not the biggest video game re-seller on the planet.

check your facts bro:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GameStop
http://www.gamestop.com/

Quit getting off-topic!
Devolution < DIOS MIOS
- AntiPiracy | PiracySupport

Problem solved.
Go get the right program.
yes diosmios on the wii u:bow:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1