Hacking Why add anti-piracy measures to Devolution ?

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want to say that I'm thankful for people like Crediar and not for people like Tueidj. Totally don't care about Devolutions AP measures anymore, Nintendont has gotten to a point that I am very happy with and adequately fulfills my GC needs on my Wii U.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want to say that I'm thankful for people like Crediar and not for people like Tueidj. Totally don't care about Devolutions AP measures anymore, Nintendont has gotten to a point that I am very happy with and adequately fulfills my GC needs on my Wii U.

Agreed. Nintendont has made tremendous strides and now we can play Gamecube games in vWii mode without having to use AP methods to verify :D

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agreed. Nintendont has made tremendous strides and now we can play Gamecube games in vWii mode without having to use AP methods to verify :D

Which is real nice because in order to play any games in Devolution, I'd have to buy them used, which would mean I wouldn't even be supporting the developers of the game, just shitty used games stores like Gamestop, a company known for how it rips its customers off. Seems counter intuitive to the whole idea of why even add AP measures in the first time.

But alas, this doesn't even matter to me anymore. Nintendont rocks now, thats all that really matters.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which is real nice because in order to play any games in Devolution, I'd have to buy them used, which would mean I wouldn't even be supporting the developers of the game, just shitty used games stores like Gamestop, a company known for how it rips its customers off. Seems counter intuitive to the whole idea of why even add AP measures in the first time.

But alas, this doesn't even matter to me anymore. Nintendont rocks now, thats all that really matters.

Exactly, Nintendont has a lot of potential, and it's starting to really shine :D

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have avoided replying to the thread thus far as the only reply I have is "his program, his choice, program your own or improve a more open one if it bothers you". However the last page has some classics.

Used games as good as piracy.... yeah no. We have had this before in better threads but suffice it to say resale is allowed and had to be accounted for in the original financial setup.

Well, in my personal opinion...

I think anti-piracy at this high level of console evolution is quite uncalled for, even if it is just for games from Gamecube or any other console.
Let me explain why:

a) First, we are seeking games that are two generations behind of the current gen (Wii U, Xbox One and PS4), which makes them out of stock by obvious reasons and not available in any other place but online bids and sells, which is not an option for people living in certain countries. People in other places do not have the same advantages that USA citizens have...
b) Second, we have to get a previous generation console (Wii) to be able to verify the two-gen-old game to be able to play it into a current gen console. A bit of a pain there.
c) Third, the developers DO NOT deserve to get any more money out of those games at all. They had their time to get money out of that game, that's it.
Why are they trying to squeeze every penny out of a game that came out almost 10 years ago?
Beats me, I say greed is the rootcause and RE 4 is the living example of that.

There should be a limit as to how much time can a company make a profit out of a product they made years ago.
If the product has surpassed the time limit and a person wants to use that product for whatever reason (without making money for themselves, of course), then there should be no due of payment to the company. Something similar to the case of Nintendo VS. Universal, in which Universal sued Nintendo for the rights of Donkey Kong (King Kong) and they lost due to the license being terminated by a time limit.

Even if the developers somehow make a re-release of the game into the current gen, people that already have it should in no way pay for those ports.
Just because they don't have the current hardware available to play those games doesn't mean they have to pay again to play them.
Also, don't forget that any product, being it hardware or anything else, has a life cycle and they will eventually fail. Even if it was the console itself or the disc got damaged, you paid for the game at its due time, full price and you don't have to pay again for something that might as well be "expired"

Playing roms and having emulators is what keeps gaming alive for me. I could care less about new releases since most of them are just sequels and re-hashes of the same.

Sorry to get this all out, but is just my opinion about how I feel for the gaming industry now-a-day :/

a) Sucks to be you then. I have no objection if you want to work around but sucks to be you.
b) Artificial requirements maybe but still requirements.
c) Copyright law is many decades (indeed barring some kind of serious tech leap there will be scant few reading this that live to see things out of copyright), now I have very serious issues with the setup but it is still many decades. If you want to justify your own actions along that line of logic then fine (you justify to yourself, I need none). The idea of copyrighted works lapsing into some kind of creative commons rather than public domain is an interesting one that several have pondered though.

A re-release might involve extra work. What happens if I use the same game engine and make a reskin in all but name?

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assembly code is basically a direct translation of binary into human-readable format. As for translating to C, there's no need. C code compiles down to assembly before it ultimately goes into binary, and you can link assembly code to a C project. I've written a couple projects where I used C as the base of the project and then wrote functions in assembly that were called from my C code.

except that in so many cases, people sell their used games in order to get money to purchase new games, so by not putting money into the used game market, you're keeping money out of the new game market.

Except that if you spend your limited gaming budget on used games, you don't have any money left for new games. Overall, it's better to buy a few new games and pirate the rest, rather then spend everything on used games. People claiming piracy is a lost sale are assuming everyone has an infinite amount of money. If my plan is to spend $200 on games, that's what is going to happen. After that budget is used up, your only choices are pirate more games, or don't play any more games. Your budget is gone, how does everyone not realize that? Whether you play more games after your budget is gone or not, it doesn't matter. The same amount of money was spent either way. Almost no one can afford to buy every single game.

Reactions: c3pu

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If my plan is to spend $200 on games, that's what is going to happen. After that budget is used up, your only choices are pirate more games, or don't play any more games.
3rd choice: earn more money. ;) Piracy is wrong on yourself too: as a teenager I worked extra hours, whatever, to get that game I wanted, and it was that much better to play knowing I earned it!

That said, regarding this program I'm gonna be a two faced bastard! :D
a. The author has every right to do whatever he likes to his software
b. He's still a bit of a prick for doing it though....:lol:

The GC for me falls into the 'revisiting the classics' category - something the GBA falls into as I mentioned yesterday on another thread. I'm not going to fire up a GC game that I didn't play or own in the past, the games - being 2 generations ago - are too old for that now. Surely I'm not the only one that thinks this either..... Trouble is, when it comes to the AP on here, most of the discs I have are unreadable due to having two sons (now teenagers themselves) that seemingly played fukkin frisbee with them as soon as I went to work or something. There's few things that annoyed me recently more than getting an error everytime I tried to verify any GC game in my collection... 'Sucks to be U', or 'yer talking BS Muffy'?? Well fair do's and all that, but since all of this is quickly becoming irrelevant due to the excellent progress Nintendont is making, who cares ehh.....:D

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3rd choice: earn more money. ;) Piracy is wrong on yourself too: as a teenager I worked extra hours, whatever, to get that game I wanted, and it was that much better to play knowing I earned it!

I have money. Just because I have money doesn't mean I'm going to spend it on games. I only want to spend so much on games no matter how much money I earn. There are things more important then games, like better houses, cars, furniture, food, beer, wine, whiskey, vacations, shows, clothes, etc. Games are pretty low on the priority list. Things I want, new luggage set, LASIK surgery, home theater speakers, trip to the carribean, trip to Vegas, trip to the pacific northwest, a top notch porterhouse steak, a homebrew, as in beer, setup, a new cell phone. The point is that there is always better things to spend money on then games. Of course I will buy a few favorite games like Mario Kart 8, the next paper mario, etc, but I can't buy everything.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have money. Just because I have money doesn't mean I'm going to spend it on games. I only want to spend so much on games no matter how much money I earn. There are things more important then games, like better houses, cars, furniture, food, beer, wine, whiskey, vacations, shows, clothes, etc. Games are pretty low on the priority list. Things I want, new luggage set, LASIK surgery, home theater speakers, trip to the carribean, trip to Vegas, trip to the pacific northwest, a top notch porterhouse steak, a homebrew, as in beer, setup, a new cell phone. The point is that there is always better things to spend money on then games. Of course I will buy a few favorite games like Mario Kart 8, the next paper mario, etc, but I can't buy everything.
All excellent things to spend your hard earned on, the beer part especially! :D Trouble is, my point still stands: if you're only going to spend a small portion of your wages on gaming, you should only expect to acquire a similarly small portion of what gaming has to offer as a result.... But you're right, I should've said 'spend more money' than earn it - sounds a bit fukkin' snobbish by me too after reading it...!

gridatttack

Trophies
XP
Country
El Salvador
I find this AP thing to be pretty cumbersome regarding the wii u release of this thing.

Unfortunately, my wii doesn't read discs, and I would like to play my retail games again. IN order to do it, you need an old wii to rip the game on the wii that READS GCN discs...
If so, why even use the wii U to play the GCN if you are possible to play them instead on the wii. Sure, backup and all, but I wouldn't bother with it.

There should be some authentication possible in the wii u without requiring an old wii :/

adamnewy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
while the guy that makes this program is a talented guy, there is no denying he is a childish douche, just look at the childish things he has done to nintendont, reporting them and getting it taken down for apparently infringing on his work. he is typical of a lot of homebrew developers.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
while the guy that makes this program is a talented guy, there is no denying he is a childish douche, just look at the childish things he has done to nintendont, reporting them and getting it taken down for apparently infringing on his work. he is typical of a lot of homebrew developers.

That's been resolved, Nintendont has new audio code and is back on track. That's in the past, no need to bring it up.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it still happened and he's still a douche for it

With all due respect, it was his intellectual property/his code, he has every right to do what he did. With that said, the issue has long since been resolved and Nintendont is back. I don't like his attitude or his way of interacting with people, but it's his code, no one can change that.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
lol intellectual property on illegal software that already infringe on nintendo's intellectual property get the fuck out a here.:rofl:

I see no court case/ruling that the software in question is illegal, indeed there are plenty of rulings that say such software is fine to have in all sorts of places over the world. Likewise for it to infringe upon Nintendo's property it would have had to have been made using Nintendo's proprietary information (as far as I know the Wii stuff was all cleanroom style reverse engineering), with their proprietary tools (has the Wii SDK been leaked in a form where you can build something?) or some combo of both.

Just because many use it for infringing uses does not mean it gets no protections, see also why people are opposed to "hacking software" rulings -- one person's port scanner is another's network analysis tool.

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the most selfish argument in favor to piracy I've ever seen. I would accept that only if you had a strong, 0% BS economical plan. But I used to work in the economical field, I know people waste money all the time. And that's fine because it's normal, but please cut me the bullshit of "I'm not wasting money on the hard work of developers" while drinking your daily 3$ coffee.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's the most selfish argument in favor to piracy I've ever seen. I would accept that only if you had a strong, 0% BS economical plan. But I used to work in the economical field, I know people waste money all the time. And that's fine because it's normal, but please cut me the bullshit of "I'm not wasting money on the hard work of developers" while drinking your daily 3$ coffee.

What is invalid with "I take because I can and it leaves more free money to waste on other frivolities"?

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...