Was I scammed...? Computer repair

goemon_guy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First, I'd like to begin by saying that if this is in the wrong section, it'd be appreciated if a mod would redirect it to the correct place. Thanks.

Second, my computer required a factory reboot to restore its installation of Windows. During this process, it failed and ended up in a loop, stating that it needs to be restarted to continue, bringing up the same message each time.

So, my dad called up what I believe to have been Toshiba (he got the number) and they charged us a fee of $150+tax for a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate.
So, then I let them access another computer via TeamViewer, and they downloaded a torrent for Windows 7 Fully Activated. (If I'm allowed to post the full name, I can.)

What I'd like to know, is it normal for a company to do this? (Charge money to download a torrent I could have easily done myself.)

I know I'm being a little skeptical (probably too much), but I just want to know now if there's anything fishy about what they did.

Thanks for any help on the issue.

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
First, I'd like to begin by saying that if this is in the wrong section, it'd be appreciated if a mod would redirect it to the correct place. Thanks.

Second, my computer required a factory reboot to restore its installation of Windows. During this process, it failed and ended up in a loop, stating that it needs to be restarted to continue, bringing up the same message each time.

So, my dad called up what I believe to have been Toshiba (he got the number) and they charged us a fee of $150+tax for a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate.
So, then I let them access another computer via TeamViewer, and they downloaded a torrent for Windows 7 Fully Activated. (If I'm allowed to post the full name, I can.)

What I'd like to know, is it normal for a company to do this? (Charge money to download a torrent I could have easily done myself.)

I know I'm being a little skeptical (probably too much), but I just want to know now if there's anything fishy about what they did.

29bj9yc.jpg

Should of verified it was toshiba.

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
for some, noticing the cheap price fr windows 7 ultimate would have given a red flag, then again so would have the torrent, and the remote controlling of the other PC. I'm curious as to where your father got what he thought was a toshiba number.

Case in point. always ask a forum or bring it in to someone in person first to troubleshoot to lower your risk of scamming in the future, Also find out as much info as you can about this experience and show it to police/your bank to see what they can do about it.

goemon_guy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OK. I just realized that he screwed up REAAAL bad.

I asked him if he did call Toshiba.
Now, he's telling me that the website was NOT Toshiba...
(He did not know this at the time, but realized it today while he was at work)

So, rather than pointing out that my dad was screwed out of $150, (as if it wasn't obvious):
Is there anything we can do to get our money back? (Not sure what to expect; this has never happened to us).

rehevkor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you paid on a credit card (not debit), contact the credit card company asap. Also contact Microsoft, they generally take this kinda this seriously. And do you not have the number, who exactly did you call?

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes you were scammed and file a chargeback on your credit card. Call up your credit card company asap and explain what happened.

Also you should be able to just download a copy of windows 7 (downloading it isn't illegal) and use the serial on your computer to install it (laptops usually on bottom or behind battery, destkops at back usually). Heck, even Microsoft provides download links for windows 7 since again, it's not illegal to download windows 7, its illegal to use some sort of bypass to avoid using a legit serial key that you own for it.

rehevkor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There's also a slight chance that it's legit (although still a rip off), and the technician is just a fucking idiot. Were you sent any kind of certificate for the copy of Windows, with the product code? I dunno how they issue them these days, but you always had to have a genuine product code certificate dealio, I guess they can email them these days.

goemon_guy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, thanks to everyone who helped out.

My dad contacted his credit card provider, and they've put the incident on record.
If they try to do anything suspicious, I'd assume we're protected.

Other than that, I don't think they'll be refunding anything.
It's a lesson to be learned, I guess.

Thanks to anyone who gave their advice.
It's a lot more help than I was expected. :)

I'll try to link to the website later on,
I remember their number being labelled as "future.tech.z2" or something similar.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they were to torrent a version of Windows 7 that still required a key (and they had a key that they entered), then I'd say it could be legit though unprofessional. But for them to torrent a fully activated Windows 7, that's just... wow.

goemon_guy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The damage had already been done when I saw this number.

They called back after setting up a flash drive. (At this point, I had just seen the number).
If I'd seen this, I would have redirected myself to Toshiba.
I realized then that things were getting weird.

Attila13

Praise the Creep!
Trophies
Website
gamesystemrequirements.com
XP
Country
Romania
*text*

Don't want to be mean or anything, but why didn't you did that in the first place rather then calling for "professional" help ?

Reactions: Forstride

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1