How to quit smoke cigarettes

UnderJinx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
This thread is for any who wish to quit smoke and i want give some tips how to do it.

Personaly i quit smoking cigarettes one year ago, and here's how.
First cut down on cigarettes while smoking E-cig with 18mg fluid.

Cut one cigarettes every 3 day, and when you are on 1 cigaret, smoke one every hour
still while smoking E-cig.

Then in a timetable of a few days cut down on that cigaret so you in the end smoke one
every 2-3 hour.

Asuming you are solely on 18mg E-cig, Cut 3mg every month.

When you are on 6mg you should start investing in some nicotine plaster.
I went using 21mg plaster on 3mg fluid to make it more painless.

A month later when you hopefully are on 3mg and using plaster, you should begin to think
about cutting down on the plaster but still on 3mg fluid.

I went from 21mg to 14mg in one month. Still on my E-cig with 3mg.
And after a month i started using 7mg plaster, also for a month. And buyed some 7mg
plaster, dont remember how many but cutted them in half and was on 3,5mg on about
a month, still on E-cig. And now it's time to cut down on that to.

Same strategy as with cutting down on the cigarettes. And when you are on one puff with
3mg every one hour and with 3.5mg plaster you should cut down on the E-cig with about 20
minutes every 3 day and when you are on one puff every 2 hour cut the 7mg plaster in
quartes and use them for as long as you need. If it still gets to hard you can smoke 0mg on
E-cig just to give a feeling that you are smoking.

This is how i quit smoking. Maybe a bit expensive with the plaster but in the long run, it will
pay of big.

Good luck

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Congratulations @spoggi for quitting. :bow:
I'm proud of your effort.

As for myself... I've always wanted to smoke, I'm curious about it. I've never done it before and I'll never will.

Personally, when I like something, it's hard (very, very) to quit.

When I was younger, 15/16-ish my highschool friends were heavy smokers.
One day they ran out of cigars, one of them still had one. They shared it.
Offered me some, denied it, was told: "Good, don't start"
Soon after, one of them took the cigar out of another's mouth, and the cigarette filter was red. Somehow it got soaked with someone's mouth blood and it was too late until they realized they've been sucking on a bloody cigar.

That experience helped me too to never try a cigar.

But it's a completely different story with beer/wine though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: CoolMe

UnderJinx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Congratulations @spoggi for quitting. :bow:
I'm proud of your effort.

As for myself... I've always wanted to smoke, I'm curious about it. I've never done it before and I'll never will.

Personally, when I like something, it's hard (very, very) to quit.

When I was younger, 15/16-ish my highschool friends were heavy smokers.
One day they ran out of cigars, one of them still had one. They shared it.
Offered me some, denied it, was told: "Good, don't start"
Soon after, one of them took the cigar out of another's mouth, and the cigarette filter was red. Somehow it got soaked with someone's mouth blood and it was too late until they realized they've been sucking on a bloody cigar.

That experience helped me too to never try a cigar.

But it's a completely different story with beer/wine though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Good that you never started smoking
I regret that i smoked cigarettes for over 30 years before quitting.
Remeber starting in school because it was so smart because the older students were smoking

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I started when I was 13 in HS. Right now, I am down to 1/2 a Pack, and try to see how low I can go a Day. At one point, I was down to almost a 1/4 Pack a Day.
The Electronic / Vaping was supposed to be a way for People to Quit easier, but as we can all see, that created another problem, along with Lung Issues from it. I tried my GF's Vape, and that was harsh. Fruity, but harsh. Then again, she has her Setting on it a little high.

Reactions: ILuvGames

UnderJinx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
I started when I was 13 in HS. Right now, I am down to 1/2 a Pack, and try to see how low I can go a Day. At one point, I was down to almost a 1/4 Pack a Day.
The Electronic / Vaping was supposed to be a way for People to Quit easier, but as we can all see, that created another problem, along with Lung Issues from it. I tried my GF's Vape, and that was harsh. Fruity, but harsh. Then again, she has her Setting on it a little high.
Thats like only 5 cigarettes a day thats awesome
Personally i have not had any issuses with smoking on my E-cig

Reactions: Smoker1

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Smoked for over 35 years. Quit in 8 days. No patches, gum, vape, e-cig etc. Just a referral letter for a prescription from my GP for Champix. Now I drink instead :lol:.
Will have to see about that Prescription. Especially if the FDA here in the US is successful in their attempt to "Ban" Flavored Tobacco (Menthol and Flavored Vap/E-Cig). Hell, if they want to do that, because, "It appeals to Kids", they better Ban Flavored Alcoholic Beverages.

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Will have to see about that Prescription. Especially if the FDA here in the US is successful in their attempt to "Ban" Flavored Tobacco (Menthol and Flavored Vap/E-Cig). Hell, if they want to do that, because, "It appeals to Kids", they better Ban Flavored Alcoholic Beverages.
Well, the recommended length of the Champix course is about 4 months. If you are not prepared to or cannot afford to go the whole term then it may not be for you. I had to go to a local smoking cessation clinic to get the referral letter.

Although I live in the UK, I agree with you on 'alco-pops' as they are sometimes referred to here. Our alcohol cosumtion laws are more relaxed than yours. For cigarettes, every pack on sale here is plain black in colour without advertising and with explicit pictures of the effects of smoking on each pack. What's annoying here is that the lowest strength (tar/nicotine) cigarettes we have for sale cost about 30-40% more than a normal pack.

Reactions: Smoker1

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the recommended length of the Champix course is about 4 months. If you are not prepared to or cannot afford to go the whole term then it may not be for you. I had to go to a local smoking cessation clinic to get the referral letter.

Although I live in the UK, I agree with you on 'alco-pops' as they are sometimes referred to here. Our alcohol cosumtion laws are more relaxed than yours. For cigarettes, every pack on sale here is in a black pack with pictures of the effects of smoking on each pack. What's annoying here is that the lowest strength (tar/nicotine) cigarettes we have for sale cost about 30-40% more than a normal pack.
Love how items that help People Quit cost much more. That is seriously messed up

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
<== weak

Yep, as strong head willed as I am [and being an invalid]. Smoking is not just hard, but Impossible to quit on my part. :sad::(

I've been smoking since I was Seven. Growing up, I went to a 3 pack a day thing. Finally, I somewhere started a turning point, and began smoking half a cig now and the other half in a bit. In time, I noticed that I've been using only 1 pack for 3 days. And in this time, the pack now last me 4 days. Don't push me to just Stop. I tend to retaliate when being pushed. I'm getting there. Eventually :)

UnderJinx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
<== weak

Yep, as strong head willed as I am [and being an invalid]. Smoking is not just hard, but Impossible to quit on my part. :sad::(

I've been smoking since I was Seven. Growing up, I went to a 3 pack a day thing. Finally, I somewhere started a turning point, and began smoking half a cig now and the other half in a bit. In time, I noticed that I've been using only 1 pack for 3 days. And in this time, the pack now last me 4 days. Don't push me to just Stop. I tend to retaliate when being pushed. I'm getting there. Eventually :)
Best of luck to you:)

• Love
Reactions: AncientBoi

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
<== weak

You've gone from 3 packs a day to 1 pack in 3 days. That's a serious achievement without professional guidance and help. You should be proud that you have done so well and good luck.

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My biggest regret with smoking is that I did it indoors for over a decade, ruining thousands of dollars worth of otherwise cool and collectable stuff. I eventually just quit cold turkey around 2010, although it took several tries. I picked up vaping about 6 months afterward and stuck with that another 11 or 12 years. I just quit vaping cold turkey in one try around a year ago and found it much worse than I remembered with cigarettes. I'm just really glad it's all over... for now.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
It took being hospitalized with a stroke and COPD for my dad to quit smoking. He told me he'd been smoking since he was 15, and he quit when he was 65, too late, as the cigarettes had done their damage. He'd tried to stop a few times along the way, but it never worked out. This time, he's quit for over a year now, and I'm proud of him, just sad that he has to live with the severe consequences.

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol, this accounts for the fact you don't:
drink and smoke
deal with bullshit
drink and smoke when/because you deal with bullshit
etc,.

I stopped doing it because I got Burning Mouth Syndrome.
mayosauce

I also vaped 60% Nicotine @ 18.3W and 1.2ml every few hours....but I also worked 14-hour days.

I wonder if TFN is worse than regular E-liquid?

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Well, here is my story. I started smoking when I was 12, a girlfriend in that time teached me how to. Also I started drinking on those days. Smoking became part of my everyday rutine. I felt "cool" doing it after school, when I was hanging with the guys, walking the streets and most of all when I was alone, thinking about my life. I smoked for about 6 years almost everyday, then I developed the ability to smoke only on two circumstances: Whenever I drink, and whenever I was very nervous about something. I enjoyed pretty much every cigarrete.

Today, I seldom smoke. To put an example, I smoked on december 10th, after that I smoked on january 20th, and the last time I smoked about two weeks ago.

How did I do it? I can tell you that everything is on the mind, on the will you have in you. To be honest, on those times I lived among many, many stress, problems and a mind that was learning. Today. I value my life so much that I very rarely smoke. Even those last times I smoked two cigarretes, tops.

I understand that anxiety, stress and whatnot brings you to use substances, but believe me, when you have a life-changing situation sooner or later in life, all that "rebellious and cool" styles of life mean nothing, and you just want to be healthy and live life as happily as possible.

i say, be as happy as you can, stay away from people who are looming over you with any kind of substances, remember that every problem has more than one solution, and most of all, be brave. You can quit whenever you want, just don't let stress / angry / sadness get the best of you. Keep a cool head and be thankful for your life. You can quit, you deserve better, and whenever you decide to smoke, you will enjoy it, and look back at how many times you just fucked up and smoked hundreds of them "just because".

Be clean.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried smoking and tried vaping, didn't like either so gave up fairly quick.

However, if you're thinking about going from cigarettes to vape that's not really a better solution.

Ironically, the U.K.'s National Health Service has a page that recommends people to switch to vape. https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/quit-smoking/using-e-cigarettes-to-stop-smoking/

Try to fight the urge and quit it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch