gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently downloading and installing LXDE per your suggestion using the apt-get command. Hopefully nothing blows up :P

rumblpak the killall apt-get function works beautifully :). How did I not know about this before?

UPDATE: LXDE failed during the installation, gave me a repo error, so I tried updating my repo's and I've been locked out again lmao. Killall and the other commands rumblpak gave me didn't bail me out this time. I'm rebooting, lets try this again lol

Yet Another Update: Everything was unlocked upon reboot, phew! I was able to update my repo's again. Now I'm trying to install LXDE one last time before I hit the hay

UPDATE 3: Okay guys, so I got LXDE installed. It did give quite a few I/O errors during installation, but it did finish. FCE-Ultra did the same thing to me, but we all know that works fine. When I try to use the Startx command to launch the GUI i'm left with this error:

View attachment 9064

Does anyone think this is salvageable? My guess is the I/O errors were a result of the installer not knowing exactly how to deal with the wii/wii u hardware, hence why FCE-Ultra also did this. It seems to me that as a result of not knowing how to work with some of the hardware, these I/O errors are popping up, and in this case it left me with a corrupt installation of LXDE. I mean the GUI does attempt to launch, but gives directory errors when trying, then fails. One could assume from that, that the installation went fwonky.

So that being said, does anybody here think there's a way I could "patch this up" to make it work. Perhaps correct whatever directory issues there are and hope for the best?

I'm heading to bed right now, but I will be keeping an eye on this thread for ideas. Any input at all would be greatly appreciated. :). Goodnight GBATempers....

Repair the packages, X did not install correctly. If that does not help you are not getting X.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Suit yourself, I was simply offering to assist you with building a working GUI on your Wii since I don't have access to a Wii/U. A shell account on your Wii would allow me to log in to your Linux shell (like any other remote linux server) and get this running for you on the actual hardware its intended for rather than trying to do it on my PC, with which I'd have no way to test. From there we would collaborate on packaging it up nicely for consumers to play with.

Even with root access, the worst I could do to your Wii is destroy the Linux installation, then you just re-image the card and you're back in business, lol. Its not like I could trash your Wii hardware after its been sandboxed and booted into linux.

But, if your reluctance is getting the better of you, then by all means, GL HF!

Thats very true this is infact sandboxed. Its basically just the vWii with access to the Wii U Espresso Processor but you wouldn't have access to anything outside of that I suppose. I see your point, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound snappy or rude. I also didn't realize you didn't currently have a Wii or Wii U right now to work with. I will send you a PM

Repair the packages, X did not install correctly. If that does not help you are not getting X.

Okay thank you. Thats what I figured was going on.

UPDATE: ended up corrupting apt-get again and none of the previous commands helped so I know it wasn't just locked. Rebooting didn't help either, so I rewrote the image to my sd card and I'm downloading LXDE again. Its installing as we speak. I haven't noticed any I/O errors this time, although I've been bouncing back and forth between my PC and my Wii U so I could've missed something. Anyways I'll post my results when its done

UPDATE 2: Progress has been made!!!!!! LXDE installed correctly this time! Now i'm just having issues with graphics drivers. It asked me at one point whether to try out the kernel's framebuffer driver (generic) or something else. I opted for the generic driver and apparently that wasn't the right answer XD. I have some photos of the configuration screens which I'm attaching now. Anybody have any idea how I can reconfigure the graphics driver from the command line so I can hopefully get this up and running (GUI). I'm not familiar with LXDE so I don't know what the commands are for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

IMG_20140719_174940.jpgIMG_20140719_174539.jpgIMG_20140719_174203.jpgIMG_20140719_173844.jpgIMG_20140719_173739.jpgIMG_20140719_173712.jpgIMG_20140719_173700.jpgIMG_20140719_173624.jpgIMG_20140719_173514.jpg

UPDATE 3: After doing some research it looks like my problem isn't the graphics drivers at all. I forgot to install the X Window Environment first *facepalm*. I'm installing it now in hopes that it will just work after without needing to wipe my sd card and starting from scratch

UPDATE 4: No dice. I'm going to wipe my card and start from scratch.....

UPDATE 5: So I installed the X Window Environment and was brought to the same screens as above. Given the same exact options. I opted to NOT use the kernel framebuffer driver and it asks me for a bus address for the video card :(. the "lspci" command is useless on the Wii U as well. So i'm not sure what to do from here. I'm rewriting my card AGAIN. I'm going to try downloading and installing the Window Environment again using the kernel framebuffer driver option on last time before I hit the hay.

IMG_20140719_223816.jpg

Okay this is all I'm getting with the kernel framebuffer driver. Mind you, I haven't installed lxde yet since the last time I wiped my sd card and rewrote the trinux image onto it (see above). Any ideas? Anybody?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 9112

Okay this is all I'm getting with the kernel framebuffer driver. Mind you, I haven't installed lxde yet since the last time I wiped my sd card and rewrote the trinux image onto it (see above). Any ideas? Anybody?

Do you have a closer pic? I can't make it out.

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have a closer pic? I can't make it out.

there's nothing to really see tbh. Its just a black screen with a solid cursor in the upper right corner. This is what happens when I use the "Startx" command to test out the X Window Environment. It locks up entirely, the only "command" I can use is the "three finger salute" aka ctrl alt delete to force the linux kernel to shut down. The one I chose was Xorg as this is THE most popular environment to use for Linux and LXDE is known to work with it.

Ninja_Carver I'm about to try downloading and installing OpenSSH. Maybe you can help out with this. I will post my results.

Ninja_Carver Evidently Openssh is already set up on here haha. It told me that when I tried to install it. It must've come bundled either with the current trinux image or it installed with Xorg. In either case, I'm going to send you a PM

Ninja_Carver

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there's nothing to really see tbh. Its just a black screen with a solid cursor in the upper right corner. This is what happens when I use the "Startx" command to test out the X Window Environment. It locks up entirely, the only "command" I can use is the "three finger salute" aka ctrl alt delete to force the linux kernel to shut down. The one I chose was Xorg as this is THE most popular environment to use for Linux and LXDE is known to work with it.

Ninja_Carver I'm about to try downloading and installing OpenSSH. Maybe you can help out with this. I will post my results.

Ninja_Carver Evidently Openssh is already set up on here haha. It told me that when I tried to install it. It must've come bundled either with the current trinux image or it installed with Xorg. In either case, I'm going to send you a PM

do you have a mouse connected? can you move it and see the cursor? X by itself is just a blank screen like you see, so it may be 'working' you need to start the session-manager too. you do this in the X config files. Its kind of like an autoexec.bat file that starts stuff along with X.

Also, you shouldnt have to reboot, a simple ctrl+alt+bkspc should kill the X server. You can also ctrl+alt+F1-F8 to start different consoles.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,

I'm back with another update. So what I did, was first installed Xorg (which gives me that blank screen cursor issue), which Ninja_Carver said might not even be an issue. Moving right along, after doing some research it looks as though I need to install the following TWM (window/ manager), xterm which was already installed apparently) and xclock (also already installed). So I proceeded with the installation of TWM, everything appeared to go smoothly, but of course I will still getting that blank screen with the solid cursor. Again no worries as I haven't actually installed the desktop environment or GUI yet. I then proceeded to install LXDE, again everything seems to go smoothly with that UNTIL I got to the configuration screen. As soon as started to configure it, it throws this error at me:

IMG_20140721_131932.jpg

Which I've yet to come across. So I proceed with the configuration anyways, hoping it wasn't too big of an issue and it just brings me back to square one where I was before as you can see here:

IMG_20140721_132613.jpgIMG_20140721_132641.jpg

Here's the kicker, It never asked me to configure the graphics drivers at all this time.... very strange. hmmmm........

Ninja_Carver

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,

I'm back with another update. So what I did, was first installed Xorg (which gives me that blank screen cursor issue), which Ninja_Carver said might not even be an issue. Moving right along, after doing some research it looks as though I need to install the following TWM (window/ manager), xterm which was already installed apparently) and xclock (also already installed). So I proceeded with the installation of TWM, everything appeared to go smoothly, but of course I will still getting that blank screen with the solid cursor. Again no worries as I haven't actually installed the desktop environment or GUI yet. I then proceeded to install LXDE, again everything seems to go smoothly with that UNTIL I got to the configuration screen. As soon as started to configure it, it throws this error at me:

View attachment 9122

Which I've yet to come across. So I proceed with the configuration anyways, hoping it wasn't too big of an issue and it just brings me back to square one where I was before as you can see here:

View attachment 9123View attachment 9124

Here's the kicker, It never asked me to configure the graphics drivers at all this time.... very strange. hmmmm........

you should stop for now. the improvements we'll be working on will include a new userspace and kernel

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you should stop for now. the improvements we'll be working on will include a new userspace and kernel

EDIT: Turns out the Kernel and userspace I was using were outdated. I had Ninja_Carver remote into my Wii U (under Trinux) and he made some changes. He set up a Ubuntu Chroot Environment, but that's all he had time for today. He's going to remote back in tommorow morning to update the Kernel and Userspace and hopefully we'll be able to get a GUI up and running after that :)

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Marionumber1 I just had a thought. While the linux "exploit" technically cannot be patched with software (epic hardware flaw), Nintendo could theoretically release a future update to wipe out HBC (at least until a workaround is found). I was thinking, using your Webkit/Browser exploit and the build system you created, would it be possible (in theory) to execute the SRESET hack (and race attack) using a simple C-script designed for the browser exploit. This might provide us yet another backdoor, just in case. I'm just thinking out loud. I was wondering what you're thoughts are on this.

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Marionumber1 I just had a thought. While the linux "exploit" technically cannot be patched with software (epic hardware flaw), Nintendo could theoretically release a future update to wipe out HBC (at least until a workaround is found). I was thinking, using your Webkit/Browser exploit and the build system you created, would it be possible (in theory) to execute the SRESET hack (and race attack) using a simple C-script designed for the browser exploit. This might provide us yet another backdoor, just in case. I'm just thinking out loud. I was wondering what you're thoughts are on this.

Anything that has to do with the Boot ROM must be done on the ARM in kernel-mode, meaning we need IOSU kernel access.

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FYI this project is NOT dead for those hitting the panic button. Ninja Carver and I are still working on getting a GUI up and running for this. Its going to take A LOT of trial and error to get it going. Not to mention life outside of hacking gets pretty hectic from time to time :P

UPDATE: I'm currently experimenting with getting XFCE up and running on trinux, seeing as Ninja_Carver and I haven't been having much luck using LXDE. I'm not giving up on LXDE by any means, just poking around to see if I can make any magic happen :)

ifrit05

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I appreciate all the hard work you guys are putting into this. Just a thought; wouldn't a Window Manager (Openbox, ROX, JWM, etc) as opposed to a Desktop Environment (like XFCE) be better for the Wii/vWii due to the limited amount of ram?

rumblpak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I appreciate all the hard work you guys are putting into this. Just a thought; wouldn't a Window Manager (Openbox, ROX, JWM, etc) as opposed to a Desktop Environment (like XFCE) be better for the Wii/vWii due to the limited amount of ram?

If my compaq laptop from 1999 can run XFCE and the Wii/WiiU can't, theres a problem... and that problem is most likely stable graphics drivers.

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thats definately a possibility. Ninja_Carver said previously that he was able to run Ubuntu 12.04 lts on his Wii U, but unfortunately he no longer owns a Wii U. I've been letting him remote into mine (under Trinux) to work his magic from time to time as he is a Linux Sys Admin by trade, so he knows much more than I do about linux. We're trying to recreate what he did before on my console, there's a lot of trial and error thats needed to get to that point as he doesn't seem to have the working image around anymore :(.

Experimenting with XFCE was just an idea I came up with and decided to experiment with it last night. I didn't have a chance to finish what I was doing last night as I had to be up early today. Go figure. As for LXDE, we were trying to get this to serve as a lightweight GUI to sit on top of Ubuntu so to speak. We are definately able to run Ubuntu on the Wii U, its just getting some sort of GUI going that seems to be the issue right now, and as stated before Ninja_Carver doesn't have his working image from before. This is why we're having such an issue trying to get a GUI going. I for one can confirm that Ubuntu does run (as command line) on the Wii U, we've achieved that much and I believe 'Carver when he says some sort of GUI is possible. Unfortunately until we get some sort of even basic GUI like interface working again, command line Ubuntu is completely useless to the masses. Its only useful to the l33t3st linux nerds :P.

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If my compaq laptop from 1999 can run XFCE and the Wii/WiiU can't, theres a problem... and that problem is most likely stable graphics drivers.

You are correct sir, we do not have a decent graphics driver just yet. We're using a framebuffer hack from the old Gamecube linux days to pull off the display portion right now. That is part of the problem. We should however be able to get some sort of lightweight interface to come up (of course colors will be off) with this. This is what we're trying to do right now. Then we can at least focus on getting decent graphics drivers and finally utilizing the extra cores of the espresso processor.

Also once the Wii U mode is fully hacked, we can work on porting this over to that so we can utilize ALL of the Wii U's hardware, instead of just some of it.

Ninja_Carver

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats definately a possibility. Ninja_Carver said previously that he was able to run Ubuntu 12.04 lts on his Wii U, but unfortunately he no longer owns a Wii U. I've been letting him remote into mine (under Trinux) to work his magic from time to time as he is a Linux Sys Admin by trade, so he knows much more than I do about linux. We're trying to recreate what he did before on my console, there's a lot of trial and error thats needed to get to that point as he doesn't seem to have the working image around anymore :(.

Experimenting with XFCE was just an idea I came up with and decided to experiment with it last night. I didn't have a chance to finish what I was doing last night as I had to be up early today. Go figure. As for LXDE, we were trying to get this to serve as a lightweight GUI to sit on top of Ubuntu so to speak. We are definately able to run Ubuntu on the Wii U, its just getting some sort of GUI going that seems to be the issue right now, and as stated before Ninja_Carver doesn't have his working image from before. This is why we're having such an issue trying to get a GUI going. I for one can confirm that Ubuntu does run (as command line) on the Wii U, we've achieved that much and I believe 'Carver when he says some sort of GUI is possible. Unfortunately until we get some sort of even basic GUI like interface working again, command line Ubuntu is completely useless to the masses. Its only useful to the l33t3st linux nerds :P.

It's not a matter of believing me... There's proof earlier in this thread in the form of a screenshot. Behold, the vWii running Ubuntu 12.04 with LXDE over the top.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 322

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @CameronCataclysm...